[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does your Dad listen to?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 109
Thread images: 12
File: generic dad.jpg (127 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
generic dad.jpg
127 KB, 600x600
What does your Dad listen to?
>>
I got mine into stoner rock and trip hop
>>
the sounds of cackling demons flaying his immortal soul until the rest of eternity
>>
audiobooks
>>
>>63792537

Damn, I hope some of your Dad's patrician taste rubbed off on you.
>>
>>63792508
My Bloody Valentine, in fact he introduced me to Loveless

I wouldn't be surprised if he comes here
>>
the stranglers, the sex pistols, the clash
>>
Limp Bizkit. It's sad. He's fucking 37 years old.
>>
File: laloVisions8.jpg (216 KB, 450x446) Image search: [Google]
laloVisions8.jpg
216 KB, 450x446
Christian rock and movie scores. Pic related is his favorite.
>>
I think he liked Pink Floyd.

>>63792537
Who else /nodad/ here?
>>
My dad's either a late boomer or early gen x-er depending on your point of view and is obsessed with all things 60s-70s related. He has a 100+ Beatles collection counting bootlegs and I've seen him come home with Miles Davis, Patti Smith and Ted Nugent all on the same day.
>>
>>63792508
He doesn't like music. I think he liked the Weeknd's Echoes of Silence tape though. I left it playing on repeat after it came out on accident and he requested it on CD because he liked it.
>>
>>63792687
>does the math
are you like 13, m8?
>>
>>63792906
The youngest not-totally-gross answer is that he's 19.
>>
File: 1451160859416.jpg (28 KB, 225x300) Image search: [Google]
1451160859416.jpg
28 KB, 225x300
>>63792537
PATRICIAN AS FUCK
>>
i think he liked hair metal when he was younger but as an adult i don't think he goes out of his way for music

he keeps the local generic 60s-00s rock station on the radio tho
>>
Post-Punk and New Wave. His favorite bands are New Order and Talking Heads, I think.
>>
>>63792508
My dad is a burnout hippie type who hasn't held a paying job in his life. Last time I saw him, he was talking about how he had the time of his life candyflipping at a rave until next morning when he realized some asshole had stolen his bongoes. Pretty cool guy actually
>>
The Replacements, Guided By Voices, Bruce Springsteen, and Neil Young are his top 4, but he also loves a lot of more contemporary bands like Titus Andronicus and The National.
>>
Classical and Film Scores
>>
>>63792508
Beastie Boys, Mr. Bungle, Sublime, Slightly Stoopid, Faith No More, Metallica, Megadeth, NWA This is all we listen to when whenever I go camping with him
>>
Mostly the Beatles. He's not big on music.

When him and my mom divorced when I was like in 5th grade he went through a classic rock phase for some reason. The eagles and lesser known shit bands you'd hear at a bar with other middle aged depressed white men.
>>
Violent Femmes, Dead Kennedys, Jason and the Scorchers, Frank Zappa, Beat Farmers, Lou Reed, Nashville Pussy
>>
my mother's husband enjoys some country but really isn't big into music, yet he plays guitar decently.
>>
The grateful dead and bruce springsteen
>>
Tom Waits, Pat Methany, Jimi Hendrix, Ted Nugent, Bill Withers

Metro-Detroit stuff, he lived in Detroit through the race riots, so a lot of black music and like rock music.
Tom Waits I think just because they're both gypsies
>>
>>63792508
vladimir vysotsky
>>
narco corridos
>>
Racist Country Music
>>
>>63794276
same
>>
>>63792508
>Classic and Fringe Country
>Punk
>>
Cypress Hill
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4DmReQoJLQ
>>
>>63794575
I know that feel compadre
>>
Real underground shit.

He's dead.
>>
Gangsta rap mostly
>>
File: cover.jpg (152 KB, 888x800) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
152 KB, 888x800
Blues/Rhythm & Blues/White Boy Blues
60s Garage
British Invasion
Classic Country
Prog
Folk
>>
>>63795888
nice
>>
My Dad is an Opera singer

He's got extremely ecletic taste but probbably likes Classical, Prog, Classic Rock, and Metal the best. Also a good bit of Jazz.

I got him into Infected Mushroom
He got me into Kamelot
>>
The Beatles, Pink Floyd, Queen, Morricone, Nino Rota, italian pop music of the 60s... and fucking Dido. He's a 70 yo guy.
>>
File: suicide.jpg (6 KB, 225x224) Image search: [Google]
suicide.jpg
6 KB, 225x224
Kid Rock and Sugarland
>>
>>63792508
Warp, Planet Mu, and Ninja Tune circa 2000, mostly. Then some classic prog/psych/heavy rock like The Doors + associated solo acts, Pink Floyd, Jethro Tull, Hendrix, Black Sabbath, etc. i.e. his childhood. A bit of jazz and classical in there too.

Can't complain honestly, it was a pretty dope soundtrack to grow up to. I've gotten him into some newer popular stuff like Arca, Ash Koosha, OPN, Opeth, BTBAM, TDEP, Kendrick, Earl, FlyLo, RTJ. He hates DG though.
>>
dadrock and classical
>>
>>63792508
The radio. Hits from the 50s to the 80s basically. His favorite bands are Canned Heat, CCR and Grand Funk Railroad.

He loves telling me to listen to "his" music or talking about how great Led Zeppelin is when "Sunshine of Your Love" comes on the radio. But I just grin and bear it. Holding back my autistic knowledge and rage and spewing it out here isntead. :^)
>>
Fleetwood Mac and Billy Joel.

I did get him into King Crimson lately.
>>
Depeche mode, Nitzer Ebb, The Covenant. Industrial and 80s synth mostly.
>>
kitaro.
>>
Literal dadrock being as he was a teenager in the 70's. Although I can dig it, his favorite band is Queen.
I played him some Tame Impala once and he called it Lame Impala, lel
>>
>>63795808
same here
>>
well, he introduced me to Suicide, and my parents met because of a The Clash t-shirt, so you can probably guess his taste.
He calls Sex Pistols a capitalist boy band too so he is chill as fuck.
Yesterday he was singing the guitar thing from Starless, so yeah, cool dad
>>
the grateful dead and related projects, dead kennedys, mc5, melvins, napalm death, phish, just general jam rock most times, nwa, bad brains, black flag, typical for a dude who grew up in san jose
>>
>>63792508
he listens Alt-J a lot of folk music mudhoney led zeppelin pink floyd and I recently got him back into the velvet underground
>>
he only listens to patrician danish stuff so you plebs wont know it
>>
File: 89743987463.png (3 MB, 1400x1400) Image search: [Google]
89743987463.png
3 MB, 1400x1400
>>63792508
my old man listens to lots of shitty metal like this
>>
Zappa, Greatful dead, Allman Brothers, Pink Floyd and classical
>>
File: stfu_n00b.jpg (71 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
stfu_n00b.jpg
71 KB, 640x480
dad rock? what else is there
>>
File: NICO_looks_at_himself.jpg (667 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
NICO_looks_at_himself.jpg
667 KB, 2048x1536
the endless whirring nothingness of the afterlife
>>
Ian Dury , UB40 , Pink Floyd , Paul Weller
>>
brazilian country(?)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgpdENAlw4o
>>
Nothing, He never much listened to music, and when he did when he was a lot younger, it was the popular stuff back in the day, which for a Mexican immigrant at that time, was Vicente Fernandez.
>>
Late boomer normie shit, 80's billboard hits only, some occasional dadrock.

He often lambastes my music as 'lol it's just cuss after cuss rap sux
>>
>>63792508
Dad's dead desu.

He liked Steve Vai and general dad rock stuff really.
>>
>>63792508
90's hip hop to early 00's. My dad got my brother and I into Nujabes and J Dilla when I was I was young. I'm 21 now and he's 46 and basically likes what my brothers and I listen to but doesn't go out of his way to discover much music anymore.
>>
KISS, Alice in Chains, thrash metal, etc
>>
ACDC, Metallica's hard rock records, Rainbow and every pop song that was popular in 80s.
>>
A lot of the late 70's/early 80's New Romantic stuff like the first two Duran Duran albums, Spandau Ballet, Classix Nouveaux, Japan, Fashion, etc. Also likes The Cure, Depeche Mode and some early UK punk. Every once in a while he'll listen to some Pulp or Suede.
>>
Oh he likes elvis too so it's not that shabby
>>
>>63792508
He listens to the beatles and mostly hannes wader.
>>
>>63792508
He's dead but he really liked Bob Dylan, Tom Waits, all kinds of Jazz and everything his mother would call "that negro music" at the time.
>>
Pink Floyd, The Grateful Dead, The Rolling Stones, Van Halen...

What you would expect from someone his age
>>
A lot of grunge. So much fucking grunge. Sometimes I wonder if that man has ever heard a note of music not in Power Chord form.
>>
File: 1365876222742.jpg (23 KB, 500x259) Image search: [Google]
1365876222742.jpg
23 KB, 500x259
he listened to the beastie boys and whatever was on the local metal/rock station
i miss my dad he was cool he drove fast in his truck and got speeding tickets and didnt care
>>
My dad listens to a lot of 80's thrash and shit that I don't care about.

Yesterday I showed him Death Grips and KFC Murder Chicks and he liked them, though.
>>
Mine really likes The Eagles, but he seems to like a lot of pop music. He tells me all the time how Adam Levine is a great vocalist.
>>
File: MI0002414863.jpg (28 KB, 400x394) Image search: [Google]
MI0002414863.jpg
28 KB, 400x394
>>
Talking Heads, Paul McCartney & Wings, Neil Diamond... Aside from that he just listens to whatever my Mum listens to, and her music taste really only spans The Beatles and lots of gushy pop stuff like Leona Lewis and Adele.
>>
>>63792508
The Cure
Pixies
Violent Femmes
Nirvana
Joy Division
Guided by Voices
Iron Maiden
The Grateful Dead
Pink Floyd
U2
Bob Dylan
Townse Van Zandt
Classic Rock
Some 90s alt rock
etc

I played Nick Cave, Tom Waits, Brand New, MF DOOM, Kendrick and Death Grips for him and he said he liked/appreciated all of them.
>>
Nowadays he just listens to Top 40 stuff when he dosen't have the news on, but he used to listen to alot of stereotypical dadrock back in his younger days. We do have a lot of conversations about other genres though.
>>
File: into-the-labyrinth.jpg (37 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
into-the-labyrinth.jpg
37 KB, 600x600
My Dad is pretty cool. Weird, but cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJqUbb-WuPQ
>>
Joy Division, Love, Tori Amos, Zappa & the Mothers, The War on Drugs and the Beatles I know he digs.
I love him
>>
>>63792508
kiss
>>
>>63792508
Dad psych (aka Pink Floyd,) some classical, and an australian guy on youtube who plays drones on acoustic guitar and didgeridoo at the same time. Not bad, but not much my thing
>>63796210
I like your dad desu, I'll never be able to listen to Replica with mine because to him it's "computer noises" but it's nice to see somebody who can
>>
lamar and kanye, the cuck
>>
My dad likes Seether, Breaking Benjamin, Saliva, Audioslave (but not RATM) and other assorted mainstream shit rock. He is an expert in 70s and 80s rock because he was there and listened to a shit ton of obscure rock music. He is also a diehard Kiss fan.
>>
My dad is like a sponge

the fact he actually said he's impressed with how music is created and how vast it all is truly has him like a kid in a candy store.

It's awesome

he's into QOTSA, Tame Impala, Mac Demarco, Amon Tobin (he's such a fanboy for this guy it's seriously adorable) Deftones, J Dilla and Nujabes.
>>
File: 20160312_171137000_iOS.jpg (106 KB, 564x846) Image search: [Google]
20160312_171137000_iOS.jpg
106 KB, 564x846
my dad liked philip glass, bach, queen, pink floyd and depeche mode. when i was 3 we had jesus christ superstar on magnetic tape and we listened to it every evening. litearlly the first record ive ever heard. i miss him a lot :(
>>
>>63792508
Whatever is on the radio
>>
Is my dad patrician? Favorite artists are Mission of Burma and The Gun Club
>>
>>63792508
Actually, dadrock
His tastes aren't unconventional beyond that; his childhood friend is a true patrician though (Posted some fugazi yesterday, was excited about Sigur Ros, etc)
>>
>>63792508
my dad has a 2k+ vinyl collection and listen to everything. he can't 'get' noise tho
>>
>>63792508
Zillertaler türkenjäger
>>
My dad listens to 60s and 70s prog and psych rock mainly, as well as a fair bit of jazz from the same time period, basically the same stuff he was into when he was in his 20s I assume
>>
synthpop
>>
>>63799518
die onkelz
>>
Leonard Cohen, Nick Cave, The Stranglers, Pink Floyd, Talking Heads, Dead Kennedys, Led Zep, Sex Pistols
>>
>>63792508
Willie Nelson
royksopp
Erlend Oye
Trentemoller
The Stones
Anal Jew and the Fuck You Motherfuckers
Septimum Infinite
>>
/mu/, what's it like having a dad?
>>
>>63799687
Kind of like a guy mom, but cooler and can talk about women without offending.
>>
>>63792573
Anon?
>>
>>63793044
I guess we have the same dad
is my sister posting here
>>
Prog/progmetal mostly, although he has softened with age. He used to be a reviewer for a hardrock/metal magazine, and he still sifts through piles of shitty new bands regularly. I must have heard hundreds of obscure promos when I was a kid, which sounds more patrician than it actually was. Likes a lot of neoprog stuff, and acts like Neal Morse and Shadow Gallery. Recently began rebuilding the record collection he sold off years ago. Rush, Scorpions, Fates Warning, King Diamond, that sort of stuff.
>>
South-east Euro pop ft. accordions.
>>
>>63792508
my dad is fucking dead
>>
Phil Collins and Genesis mostly. And then some Eric Clapton, Paul Simon, Tina Turner and shitty German comedians.
>>
Bruce Springsteen and notis sfakianakis
>>
>>63799739
Dad?
>>
He listens to shit tier edgy 13 year old level rock music. I'm not even kidding. I've heard him taking a shower and I can hear " CRAAAAAAWLING IIIIN MYYYYYY SKIIIINNNNNNNNN" blasting on the sonos. Worse still, he will get plastered and blast it on our back porch for all the neighbors to hear. Pretty sure they hate us for it.
>>
>>63794360
Is Waits a gypsy though?
>>
He listens to AC/DC greatest hits.
Thread replies: 109
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.