[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So now that the hype around Kendrick has finally calmed down,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 6
File: TPAB.jpg (115 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
TPAB.jpg
115 KB, 600x600
So now that the hype around Kendrick has finally calmed down, what is your true opinion on this album. Imo it's one of the greatest albums of this decade so far.
>inb4 kendrick dick hopper
>>
go suck bernie off you racist
>>
i agree
>>
it's okay

Overrated to no end though
>>
>>63788241
Haven't listened to it yet
>>
It'll go down in the top 5 hip hop albums of all time I think. As complete a snapshot of this moment in history as _________ (fill with any relevant Dylan, Nirvana, VU, etc.)
>>
>>63788305
lmao I like it too but come on
i was drinking water too man i almost spit that shit out
>>
Its good but a big let down after GKMC for me
>>
>>63788294
dude you're kidding right?
>>
I listened to it when it dropped and wasn't impressed, but I'm not really much of a hip-hop fan to be honest. I just found the tone of his voice really grating, which is unfortunate cause it kinda ruins everything else.

Weirdly, I got the urge to listen again today after I somehow ended up on a live performance of Wesley's Theory, and I've gotta say a lot of it is really good. Still need time to get over his voice for whatever reason. The Blacker the Berry goes hard. I will probably never like Alright
>>
>>63788241
This board is too whitewashed to accept this album, which is hilarious considering how cool and progressive most people on this board claim to be.
>>
It's absolutely brilliant. I admit that gkmc is more gratifying on repeated listens, but I have rarely heard an album that is multi layered and has such well executed topics as TPAB. I still believe after a year that this album will be looked back on as a classic in the future.
Also one of my highest hope is that Kendrick Lamar will go full avant-garde mode in the future and release some experimental stuff. He already showed his skill, I'd like to see how well he performs in that field.
>>
It's good, great production, too preachy in some parts but overall clever lyricism while being easy to listen to for normies. Kendrick's the best in the game today.

Him and Thugger are the new vanguard of hip hop.
>>
>>63788321
what other album released in the last ~5 years will be looked back upon as encapsulating the early 2010s? I'm serious
>>
>>63788322
>>63788322
>>63788322

yes, anon
>>
>>63788536
> Him and Thugger are the new vanguard of hip hop.
>Him and Thugger
>Thugger
kys
>>
I'm a bit conflicted with this album.

The jazz instrumentation is fantastic, and lyrically it's definitely fitting for the times because it came out at the height of all these protests and shit.

However, there are some moments on it that make me cringe, and it gets a little too preachy in places, especially near the end.
>>
>>63788321
You don't know any black people do you? Racism doesn't actually effect you, does it?
>>
>>63788639
>not liking young thug
get out
>>
>>63788540
watch the stove
>>
>>63788660
>I remember you was conflicted...
>>
>>63788540
Barter 6
>>
>>63788639
>he doesn't like Young Thug

Do you leave your house pham? Have you ever felt the touch of a woman?
>>
File: bob swaget.jpg (58 KB, 842x640) Image search: [Google]
bob swaget.jpg
58 KB, 842x640
>>63788705
>hurr durr i'm hip and progressive because i like young thug
>>
>>63788639
Thugger is life nigga
>>
TPAB is a masterpiece. You just can't ignore the passion it holds. Kendrick's rapping is varied and he got some serious shits to say. Production is tight, tracks have unique mood and sound (which makes a 78 minutes-lengthened album not boring). What can I say? I honestly thinks this is a huge record. 9/10 just because I like GKMC a bit more.

>inb4 i'll be memed
>>
good, but gkmc is better
>>
>>63788540
MBDTF, 2014 Forest Hills Drive, Compton(dr.dre album)
>>
No matter how much people praise this album here, there's always gonna be people to bash it whether it be serious or baiting. I think Kendrick will go down as one of the greats and I think it's pretty cool getting to feel that way about an artist today. I'm getting to be there for the start of a legacy, something I can't do for the countless other classic artists and albums that have already passed. And I'm not saying you have to like Kendrick, I just think it's sad that there's rarely serious, genuine discussion for his music without it turning into a shitfest.
>>
File: tpab anthonys.jpg (128 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
tpab anthonys.jpg
128 KB, 640x640
>>63788241
>>
File: kenny.jpg (49 KB, 768x678) Image search: [Google]
kenny.jpg
49 KB, 768x678
>>
>>63788241
>>63788305
>>63788396
>>63788536
>>63788540
>>63788639
>>63789163
>>63789839
Holy shit, I'm not even going to attack this album on it's political ideas or the artist's skin color itself, but how the fuck do you think this is an important piece of music compared to actually worthwhile releases just from the same year?

Fuck this board and you people with shit taste, this album is mediocre as fuck.
>>
>>63789882
i hope kekthony faptano has taken a look at this
>>
I think he's good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-48u_uWMHY

I used to think he was just for people who weren't into gucci mane because they didn't know "real black people" or what the fuck ever. But I realised it was the people that don't enjoy murderers that were digging kendric, and I was the fool.
>>
>>63789913
>
AAY LMAO

Good kid mad city and Section 80 are great. To cuck a white guy just doesn't work for me. I understand the critical acclaim. It just doesn't grab my attention until the end of the project like other K dot releases. This album is the definition of whatever to me. I'd rather listen to Rodeo, no lie.
>>
>>63790120
If only he had that lex lugar bass
>>
>>63788241

meh havent listened to it. Not a big rap fan as most of it is degenerate tier shit
>>
>>63790013
after a prolonged stay in /pol/ im completly against the Political idea of the album, i also agree that its not even close to being as great as g.k.m.a.a.d.c

although a select few songs are awesome, particularly "The Blacker the Berry" which has a shit message but epic flow and beat
>>
>>63790146
Are you trying to imply that I can't dig into more deep and artsy rap with a conscious theme? You're funny. It sucks when people have an opinion and all right.
>>
>>63788493
I'm willing to bet that Lamar is going to play it safe and put on your usual bangers on an album to appeal to the top 40 loving plebs out there. You're likely to get another TPAB with instrumentals that veneer off the typical trap music nowadays but it'll be nothing special overall. He can't do that if he still wants to make money.
>>
>>63790120
>I'd rather listen to rodeo no lie

>I'd rather eat White Castle than Filet Mignon no lie
>>
>>63790013
What would you recommend as an alternative to TPAB? Like, what are said "worthwhile releases"?
>>
I like King Kunta but nothing else really clicked. Maybe i just have to try it again.
>>
File: qk7x7vnxan8r3rrw7t2m.jpg (56 KB, 620x400) Image search: [Google]
qk7x7vnxan8r3rrw7t2m.jpg
56 KB, 620x400
>>63790303
It doesn't seem like he cares too much about that. He's already got some platinum records, and his house is pic related. The only thing I could see hindering him from moving forward more and pushing more boundaries is him marriage. Could end up with a Mark Hollis type thing.

I could definitely
>>
>>63788273
/thread
>>
>>63790539
yeah same thing happened to me, everytime you relisten more songs will start to click, while others will just crack, just keep relisting until all the songs either Click or Crack, its a tactic i use for all albums i listen to so i can actually discuss the album with others without me sounding like an unintelligent Poseur

songs i recommend are Alright, The Blacker The Berry and These Walls
>>
He sounds like an alien
>>
>>63790246
>browses /pol/ once
>>
It was a good album none the less but I honestly only really liked "u" because I actually felt emotion listening to it.

I still think that GKMC was better though.

Using funk and jazz influence was cool too see though.
>>
>>63791060
no ive been browising pol for somtime now, still do in fact /mu/ and /pol/ are my main boards anyway
>>
>>63791015
LOL
>>
>>63788688
Kek
>>
>>63790433
>muh music is more refined than yours
just die
>>
>>63790558
>Comparing Kendrick to Mark Hollis
Is this nigga serious?
>>
You know I'm sick of this, it's just about every other day faggot op opens a thread getting everyone to discuss this album. Each and every time it gets called black music for white people, or it's too preachy, or GKMC was better. If you already know the answers, then why ask? I love this album, truly do. I just don't like seeing things turned into shitty memes, to the point that the meme itself becomes bigger than the actual topic being suggested. Do this album a favor and stop talking about it.
>>
If ou don't like this album you are literally a fucking racist.
>>
>>63788273
/thread
A solid 7/10
>>
>>63792453
racist
>>
>>63793630
>If you already know the answers, the why ask?
Because occasionally someone comes in with a better answer. And that's the point.
>>
his b-sides album is better
Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.