[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
hey mu how do I git gud @ drums [pic not of relevance]
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 6
File: image.jpg (49 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
49 KB, 640x480
hey mu how do I git gud @ drums [pic not of relevance]
>>
get swole
>>
Practice.

Learn what rudiments are (if you don't already know) and start doing daily practice. Don't try and go to fast, just go as fast as you can maintain for minutes at a time.

From there learn basic form for drum beats, buy a good theory book to learn basic rock beats and such. Another good method is to put some headphones on and play along to songs using your own style. Start paying attention to your favourite drummers, how they play, their fill style etc.

All in all, learning drums/instruments is east, you just gotta be willing to put in the hours. Best thing though, is to get another musician and jam with them whenever you can. There's no better practice than jamming.
>>
>>63786742
Thanks I will definitely work on that (I'll look into rudiments). Those will help doing different times on each hand I believe. I've tried the headphone thing but I find it hard to hear what the drummer is doing most of the time. I usually can just hear the snare. Is there some bands you can list that would be good for playing along to? I want to become decent and am taking it very seriously. I want to lean Bass but I don't know where to start from there. In general I want to get better becasue I have the ideas but lack in technique. I don't know how to produce what comes to my head.
>>
>>63787018
Depends on what genre you want to learn.

But in terms of technicality and easy to hear, people like John Bonham from Led Zeppelin and Chad Smith from Red Hot Chilli Peppers are both pretty good to play to.

For bass, start by learning and practicing the pentatonic scale on the bass. Knowing the neck through sound and feel is more help than theory will ever be for a beginner. Beyond that start learning musical theory (drum and chord theory are different).

And yes I know what you mean. I have Alot of ideas that I can't project properly because of my skill. My tip is, instead of playing along until you get it. Stop, hum it out to yourself, then break it down to exactly what you wanna play. This is easier on drums for me than other instruments but yeah, it's worth a shot.
>>
>>63787570
thanks you have been helpful
>>
>>63787715
Always happy to help with music. People are usually daunted by learning an instrument, driven by the massive misconception that you need natural talent to become a great musician. But nope, just years of practice.

Just like singing, one of the biggest misconceptions is you need a naturally good voice to be a great singer, incorrect, everyone can develop an excellent voice, just again, practice and training.
>>
how does one train the voice? also how can you find you own voice? I find I can immitate singers quite well but when it comes to singing your own words it's a whole nother thing
>>
One tip that really helps out is learning to separate your hands from your feet. There are a few videos online with some practices to go through, but this is something so simple to practice that many fail to do.
Another tip, since you mentioned it was hard to listen to what the drummer was doing, would be to learn to read actual drum music. It might be lame, but it's really easy and there are tons of transcriptions.
The main thing is just to listen to more music and find out what you want to really play, then maybe YouTubing your favorite drummers and see what they do that you like and how you could improve.
Hope I helped :)
>>
>>63788290
Learning to song is fairly simple, it's all developing your vocal chords just like you would develop muscles.

Pitch is the most important skill initially. You need to be able to hit notes properly and hold them too. This takes a long time to develop if you have bad pitch, but for people who have sung along or hummed along to songs their whole life, you'll already have decent pitch. To develop it further, put on songs that border on your range. Just sing along to then, or hum the melody with the correct pitch. If you can't hit a note, try over and over till you get it right. This develops your vocal chords to hit the right notes.

That's the first step, beyond that you can develop skills. Things like vibrato (where the voice wobbles as they sing.) Is all just vocal chord tuning. Keep singing over and over and your voice will naturally start doing this, you can all practice physically making your voice do it (it'll sound shit originally and very forced, but your voice learns how to do it properly). Funny thing with vibrato, it's usually the sign that you have a great voice, but it's also hilariously easy and fast to learn. You'll develop it in about a month if you practice every day.

Skills beyond this like rasp and such are much more difficult to learn. So work on pitch and vibrato originally. If you can get them down, work on further abilities.
>>
>>63786742
>>63787570
>>63788191
Great advice. But listening and trying to emulate a drummer can be tricky. I like to watch some videos and get little lessons online.

https://www.youtube.com/user/MrAlexRibchester

This guy is really great for learning new stuff and so is Drumeo.
>>
Gengar is the best pokemon
>>
>>63788848
Yeah I'm talking from how I do it. I've been playing drums for close to 15 years now, you just kinda get used to listening to drummers. After a while you can hear what they're doing through the rest of the music.

Though, I have been told I listen to music very differently. I have never listened to lyrics, I have always listened to the melody and pitch over the singer, no idea why. So yeah maybe it's different for me.
>>
>>63788290
Sorry I realised I didn't answer the second half of your question.

So writing and lyricism is a different skill all together to singing. Like improvisation rap, it is a creative skill that requires development to get anywhere with it. Practice singing along to everything that happens to you, and start writing out lyrics. There's a reason bands become significantly better song writers throughout their discography, it's all just practice anon. Just keep working on it.
>>
>>63789161
thanks. I have trouble trying to write lyrics that aren't embarrassing but I guess that goes with overthinking and being inexperienced
>>
>>63789431
Exactly my point anon.

Music can be daunting because there is so much good music put there already. You just have to remember that those guys are years ahead of you in terms of practice and experience. Just keep working on it anon, you're only going to get better.
>>
>>63789431
Also, don't be embarrassed. You have to break through that, that's why jamming with others is good. Because initially you think, fuck I can't play, I'm making mistakes, these guys think I'm shit. After a while you start to realise they're making mistakes too, they're exactly the same as you, just musicians trying to get better, regardless of where they are in that development.

There is nothing about your attempts that are embarrassing beyond your own self conscious thoughts about it. If you have friends laughing at you about it, they're shit friends who don't understand the effort and work required to become a great musician. Just remember Jimi Hendrix started out shit, the Beatles were a shoddy little quartet who couldn't sing or write for shit. It's all about practice and keeping on trying.
>>
>>63789601
>>63789707
it's helps to hear that. Ill just have to keep workin on it and yea eventually lose the self conscious thought
>>
File: FB_IMG_1451607910212.jpg (63 KB, 613x614) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1451607910212.jpg
63 KB, 613x614
>>63790222
Playing your songs to people time is pretty nerve racking, bit of encouragement after is really reassuring.

We're all gonna make it anon
>>
Record yourself playing!! A really helpful tip that will let you know what you need to work on. If you think you're playing really awesome, you could be playing like shit. Work on dynamics and playing with a band will help you very drastically. Make sure to always listen to what's going on within the music and what other musicians are playing. You're not just a beat source but you also control the intensity of the music and you control the set-ups/fills to keep it interesting.
>>
>>63786566
bumping for more advice
just recently got a drum set and I can keep a pretty basic beat but I feel lost as far as how to improve
>>
>>63787570
Do you have any jazz-specific advice?
This thread has been super helpful
>>
>>63792426
For drumming? Uhh jazz is theory related. Need to learn your timings and rudiments well to play jazz properly. Jazz usually also required fairly high proficiency for drummers. Alot very quick doubles and switches that require not only speed but coordination.

You can imitate jazz, but to play jazz properly you'll have to learn the theory, and get real good.

Someone else made a really good point I'd forgot about. Record and listen to everything you play. One of the most important things you can do to improve your playing. Let's you hear how fills and beats sound away from the kit, because I personally will do a fill or something and think it sounds like shit. Only to listen to it again and here it fits the beat well or something.
>>
>>63792426
Jazz drummer here, though I'm only so experienced. My best advice is just to listen to what the drummer does and really pay attention. For a small group combo, listen to when he comps, and what beat it's on, and what the other players are playing around it. Typically I like to play off the soloist and maybe repeat a rhythm from a phrase they just played. But it's up to interpretation. Really practicing with the standard high hat on 2 and 4 and the standard ride pattern, along with the left hand comping patterns will help tremendously. Hold on and I can send some really good practices from this book I have. If you're looking for solos tips, the best thing to do is just take ideas from other pieces of music. I heard one drummer takes ideas from classical music and tries to incorporate them around the kit. Hopefully, that was helpful and if you have any questions make sure to ask :)
>>
>>63786566
Gengar is a don
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>63793644
>>
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>63793644
>>63793779
>>
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>63793644
>>63793779
>>63793802
>>
any drummers live somewhere they cant really make noise? i just moved and it sucks. i have a dinky electronic kit but it really scks and doesn't emulate a real drumming experience at all.
>>
>>63794754
Yeah same issue. Live in residential. Play acoustic drums all day, electric at night. Get complaints occasionally, but I abide by the Australian sound laws so they can go fuck themselves.
>>
>>63786566
i've learned from playing live and watching people play that there's a big difference from being on time and playing with a good feel. no clue how to articulate it though. when you an make boom tat boom tat sound body rockin, then you get it.
also, learn your time and syncopation basics.
find lessons for hand and limb independence.
go back to the old books and practice single, double strokes and those types of variations.
dont get bogged down in time/notes by which i mean is it an 8th note at 80 bpm or a 4tr at 160 or what have you, just learn to double, triple with doubles and shit, as fast as you can regardless of 'time' - makes for a real mental independence. jazz rudiments (swinging, independence) are superuseful.
>>
>>63793644
>>63793779
>>63793802
>>63793832
thank you so much you're a godsend
>>
>>63795642
stick control and syncopation for the modern drummer
can find pdfs online
>>
i was a pretty shitty drummer and my friends and I started a cover band. playing other people's songs which were way beyond my skill level for three hours at a time did a fucking lot for me

basically just practice a lot. play along with your favorite drum parts until you can do them yourself, more fun that way in my opinion
>>
>>63793107
Thanks a lot man, loving all the info in this thread
>>
>>63796761
I want to suck your dick thank you
>>
File: 87348374995.png (3 MB, 1400x1400) Image search: [Google]
87348374995.png
3 MB, 1400x1400
>>63786566
play along to pic related
>>
>>63797880
that is indeed the correct response
buddy rich has a snare drum rudiments out there somewhere on pdf
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.