[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I was playing NHL 04 and Deftones have a song on that soundtrack,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 2
So I was playing NHL 04 and Deftones have a song on that soundtrack, Minerva, that's pretty good.

Is their discography as a whole any good, or is that song just an anomaly?
>>
They are really good In
IMO. There discography has a lot to offer. The new album was leaked today actually.
>>
Their discography is GOAT. Don't fall for their nu-metal reputation, they have nothing to do with the genre by now. I'm going to describe their discog a little for you:

Like Linus - nu-metal demos, bad production
Adrenaline - nu-metal, great songs, a bit repetitive
Around The Fur - more mature, still arguably nu-metal, where they started to show promise
White Pony - shoegazish, alternative, amazing songwriting, atmospheric, emotional
Deftones - I think Minerva came from this one; a bit over the place, probably their heaviest, inconsistent but good
Saturday Night Wirst - Their most amtmospheric release and their best imo.
Diamond Eyes - Amazing production and songwriting, dreamy, accessible
Koi No Yokan - More experimental

Start with the one you feel you'll like more.
>>
>>63781939
Sounds like White Pony onward is what I want to get in to, I'll give it a try

Thanks, bros
>>
>>63781939
Gore is going in an even more expirimental direction and it's fantastic!
>>
GORE LEAK
O
R
E

L
E
A
K
>>
>>63781882
>>63782387
link pls?
>>
>>63782555
it's 192 kbps and actually sounds flat, wait for better quality
>>
>>http://getmetal.org/nu-alt/100714-deftones-gore-2016.html here
>>
>>63782555
common he got trips the only links i found are shit
>>
>>63782575
The quality is pretty lackluster.
>>
I think Deftones are definitely a really good, consistent band. But I tire of their sound quite quickly and find them too samey. White Pony is the only album I love all the way through, but they always manage to come out with a few great standouts with each album.

Adrenaline is shit tho
>>
>>63782710
I think white pony is p boring and inconsistent compared to self titled/diamond eyes/koi no yokan.

New albums ite.
>>
Hey, OP. Deftones is one of my favorite bands and you should listen to all they discog, you can start at the beggining or wherever, every album is worth listen to. The thing is, each one is so particular and unique (excluding their first 2, maybe) that everyone has a favorite.
I think the best one for starters are Diamond Eyes and White Pony.
>>
File: deftones.jpg (152 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
deftones.jpg
152 KB, 640x640
secret best album coming through
>>
>>63783037
Say what you will about white pony. I think Knife Prty is GOAT.
>>
>>63783540
Diamond Eyes bro.. So much more cool/chill AF songs on that one. Knife party is a solid meh by comparison
>>
>>63783576
For me diamond eyes has amazing production and I do think it's better than white pony. Knife Prty just hits me man.
>>
Saturday Night Wrist was awesome but I didn't really enjoy White Pony
Should I go through their discograph..?
>>
>>63784066
Bro... Self titled and onwards. First three are pretty meh.
>>
Surprised with all the Deftones threads today
>>
I'm surprised at all the love for their more recent albums. I love them all, but SNW and Koi No Yokan are probably my least favorite releases. I almost kind of wish they were going in with a heavier sound on the new album, but I'm sure I'll love it nonetheless
>>
>>63784323
>SNW and Koi are my least favorite
So the 2 best albums are the worst? M8...
>>
>>63784323
Kny is leagues above snw. Kny and de are bout the same. And they still did heavy shit on that like goon squad. New album is def lacking in the heavy but its decent.
>>
>>63784349
I just like their heavier, rawer sound senpai. No hate on the albums, I just feel like the mixing of heavy and atmospheric didn't really click on those two.
>>
>>63784437
I understand that. In all honesty Diamond Eyes is my favorite album.

CMND/CTRL blew my mind. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUS3ZQzYWJg
>>
>>63784437
but rapture and rats!rats!rats! are their best heavy songs.
>>
>>63784578
Goon Squad, CMND/CTRL, When Boys Telephone Girls...
>>
>>63784654
not as good as rapture. The cacophonus beat, the keyboard, Chino's vocals, that song is perfect.
>>
they are a great band, and around the fur - white pony - selftitled - saturday night wrist tells a story of a couple of youngster who go balls to the wall with angsty aggression in the first, completely dismiss this sound for something progressive in the second, get addicted to drugs, fall in despair and create the most amazing album of all time in the third, only to become the epitome of sadness and frustration in the latter, saturday night wrist

you appreciate the albums way more if you realize what mindset the band was in during the making. truly interesting stuff, definitely check out the live material of their respective eras. i have never seen a lead singer so out of this world, so disconnected and so monstrous as chino moreno in 2003. the man was fighting his damn demons. people who don't 'get' this will just see a fat, drunk fuck who can't sing. it's my favourite iteration of him.

adrenaline has its moments but is marred by bad production values. fist offers a glimpse of what creativity the band is capable of.

diamond eyes and koi no yokan are albums after their Dark Days, they offer more optimism, upbeatness and generally a vibe that one doesn't associate with deftones. i personally disliked these albums and haven't listened to them back to back since their releases. i think they sound ugly, uninspired, and stephen's craving to add an extra string to his guitar every minute results in mindless chugga chugganess. the song rosemary is completely ruined by a hideous ending riff. anyway, this band is at its best when it is drugged and depressed out of its mind.

gore, however, seems to offer a bit of that vintage sinisterism and sadness. it definitely feels like this was how the previous album was supposed to sound. it's more layered, so production values are upped. they will never sound like they did when they were under terry date's magic hands though. but yeah, it was make or break for me after the previous two albums and they've succeeded.
>>
>>63784776
You sir are wrong in everything you just said. First three albums were dog shit - everything else was good shit.
>>
>>63784832

Around the fur and white pony are absolutely legendary, and hold up incredibly well to this day. I can only conclude that you are still very young.
>>
>>63784910
agreed
especially white pony, that album is fucking incredible from start to finish
>>
>>63784910
White Pony is okay. Like okay okay. It's not the legendary shit it's hyped up to be. There's cool songs. Some cool patches. But those areas of neat are nowhere near S/t, Diamond Eyes or Koi No Yokan.

Around the Fur is forgettable as fuck tho.

Also - assuming you're the dude who wrote the long ass diatribe... and from what it looks like you put a lot of emphasis on hype/backstory/your own personal history instead of the music alone.

Which is neat, but you gotta state your own biases.
>>
>>63784984
>bias
>music

Jesus dude, relax.

White Pony was indeed legendary.
>digital bath
>rx queen
>elite
>street carp
>teenager
>knife party
>korea
>passenger
>change
>back to school (pink maggit)

Nearly the entire album was 10/10 songs. The other 2 were still great to boot.
>>
>>63784984

looking at the music alone is a very narrow minded approach, it is the same as looking at a painting and only taking notice of its technique and dismissing anything about the artist, its context and its era.
>>
>>63784776
If you can get your hands on a torrent of Entertain Me, I highly recommend it. Its a great portrait of that early era. He didn't outright say what it was but it shows him snorting what I believe was a morphine spray before a concert, and a lot of drunk and fucked up fighting.

Back when I was daily getting fucked up on liquor, opiates, and benzos Around the Fur, White Pony, s/t, and Diamond Eyes were my go to albums. Something about the production on Diamond Eyes especially really goes well with a cocktail of downers, and the lyrics on Around the Fur and White Pony really resonated with me when I was staving off withdrawals, feeling outcast from society, and close to death. I imagine at some point in his life Chino was in a similar position
>>
What a shame that this band has been tagged as a "nu metal band", that shit destroyed their reputation. Anyways, I love their self titled album, so fucking raw.
>>
OP here, liked Diamond Eyes the best so far, about to start on Koi no Yokan
>>
>>63781589
White Pony and S/t are absolutely fucking incredible, There is almost a shoegaze vibe that I get when listening to them. Easily best nu-metal if you even want to call them that.
>>
>>63784984
I'd like to know what you'd consider legendary. I don't think anyone on this board will live long enough to see something reach that kind of status. Also, since music is what it is, that definition will be disputed until the end of time.

White Pony was a great album - I don't know what more you'd really need from it. I hadn't listened to it for years and gave it a replay about a month back. I've since included it in my regular rotation.
>>
>>63783472
absolutely not
>>
>>63784399
>Kny is leagues above snw
lol
>>
>>63785809

i could see why they didn't want to release it. overall though i didn't think it was that interesting, which coincides with how they felt about the endless touring
>>
>>63786153
I'll never understand this. Such a bland, boring album. So many lifeless songs. Title track has to be one of the worst ever.
>>
>>63781939
But even their nu-metal stuff is pretty good
>>
The US version of white pony didn't have The Boys Republic but that song is dank and you all don't know how much you're missing out
>>
>>63785339
If my head bumps when the song bumps then its good shit. Anything else is comparable to Stockholm syndrome. Which isn't to say good shit, newer shit, underground shit can't be bumped. It can, as long as it sounds dope and IMO most bands back stories can go fufk themselves.
>>
>>63786513
Yup, however it comes at an awkward position, because Pink Maggit is the best closing song ever. Should've come before it.
>>
>>63786466
The atmospheric and chill sound stands the fuck out and the hard moments hit harder than anything off of white pony. Matter of fact, the new shit is way more refined than white pony.

And that's why the new shit is better. Production and songwriting have only improved.
>>
>>63786153
I can't believe this.

Risk, This Place is Death, You've Seen The Butcher

Cmon mate
>>
>>63786870
I mean none of them are miles better than the others as far as the ones I liked. S/t, SNW, Diamond Eyes were all good, Koi No Yokan isn't bad so far, either.
>>
>>63786624
uwotm8. production has been declining since SNW with DE as absolute low point

also song writing better? "king kong get some"?
"i'll watch and raise your babies"? the fuck outa here.

Gore's improved though
>>
>>63787019
All I'm trying to say is you're wrong.
>>
>>63787019
Song writing doesn't mean only lyrics.
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.