[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why does this sound like La Dispute songs with a bunch of filler
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 5
Why does this sound like La Dispute songs with a bunch of filler tracks between them and why am I suppose to like this again?
>>
It's poseurcore, just delete it and pretend it doesn't exist.
>>
It's an album for poseurs. That should tell you enough. They unironically think "random noises with faux-deep lyrics for two hours" is better than "forty minutes of expertly produced pop music that everyone loves".
>>
>>63780165
Good description of this thread
>>
>>63780124
because two songs maybe (not sure) were recorded around the time of their superior album
>>
File: 1459655565678[1].png (3 MB, 1463x1524) Image search: [Google]
1459655565678[1].png
3 MB, 1463x1524
I'll leave the current list of poseurcore albums here so you know which albums you shouldn't listen to if you don't want to waste your time. Make sure to avoid anything by the artists on the list.
>>
File: disappointment.jpg (23 KB, 620x363) Image search: [Google]
disappointment.jpg
23 KB, 620x363
>>63780259

>The Velvet Underground
>>
>>63780284
>I'm too contrarian for the Beatles: the band
>not poseurcore
>>
File: post poseurcore.png (501 KB, 838x557) Image search: [Google]
post poseurcore.png
501 KB, 838x557
Also, be careful around Post-Poseurcore. These are albums poseurs throw on their charts to give the illusion of being humble and open to everything.
>>
>>63780259
>>63780390
this is a /tv/ tier meme and you should be ashamed
>>
>>63780390
who honestly doesn't like Future Days and Safe as Milk?
>>
>>63780390
You should replace Marble Index with Desertshore
>>
>>63780390
This list is missing Loveless
>>
>>63780446

Desertshore is straight up poseurcore. Poseurs are aware of this, and stick to the slightly more accessible album in order to look more humble.
>>
>>63780390
what if I like some of those albums but haven't bothered with most shit in poseur-core. Does that make me a basic bitch, or does it make me the legitest man in any given town.
>>
>>63780259
Is the point of posercore that people don't dig any deeper into music or 'experimental' than these albums but brag about there music credibility for knowing these albums? Or do some people actually think that these or shitty albums?
>>
>>63780584
Dear reader, we would like to take this opportunity to inform you on a regrettable subculture which has been forming on our beloved /mu/.

>WHAT IS THEIR NAME?

Poseurs.

>WHAT IS THEIR DEAL?

Poseurs are people who go out of their way to cultivate an image of being interesting, by and large through doing their best to cultivate a "sophisticated" music taste.
HOWEVER, as these people have no self-sufficiency of their own, or any knowledge or familiarity with music beyond the pop sphere presented on sites such as Pitchfork, the best they can do to cultivate that image is to go on RateYourMusic and sheepishly drone the top-rated albums of whatever niche genre they think will bring them the most "patrician" or "underground" or "sophisticated" credibility.

IF you were to question them on the merit an album they claim to be a favorite, they would not be able to provide any substantial opinion or judgment regarding it(only empty buzzwords which they regurgitate without ever giving any thought to what they mean or how they relate to that artist) as in reality they have none of the knowledge which would help them to properly evaluate it.
The vast majority of them don't know music theory or have any sort of education(whether through personal exploration or professional education) on music/art history and have no familiarity with the origins, backgrounds and histories of their "favorite" genres, albums and artists. Their education begins and ends with RYM pages and lists and /mu/ chart thread images.

More effort goes into building up the perfect "patrician" RYM profile and curve using the perfect combination of albums and ratings than into actually trying to understand and genuinely appreciate what they are hearing.

This utter dilettantism and ignorance, however, does not prevent them from nurturing severe superiority complexes which serve as fuel for regular mockery, ridicule and debasement of the rest of this fine board's residents.
>>
When did it become a thing to hate albums solely because you don't like the people that like it. This album is genuinely great and this whole "poseurcore" thing is a bad meme.
>>
>WHY SHOULD I CARE?

Because poseurs make this board a more toxic and uninviting place.
Because they fuel tension and antagonism.
Because their use of music as an ego-building tool sets a bad example.
Because, ultimately, their mentalities regarding music, art and their fellow man are just no good.

>BUT WHAT DO POSEURS ACTUALLY (CLAIM TO) LISTEN TO?

Presented in the OP is a brief introduction to the wild world of poseurcore. It is not an attempt at making a statement regarding the quality of the music produced by those artists. It is not the only music which poseurs listen to. It's just a quick rundown. If you wish, you can also take note of this somewhat more expansive text list of poseurcore favorites.

Merzbow, Boredoms, Gerogerigegege, Coil, Throbbing Gristle, Whitehouse, Nurse with Wound, Einstürzende Neubauten, Brainbombs, Death in June, Current 93, La Monte Young, Moondog, Lou Harrison, Henry Cowell, Luigi Russolo, Popol Vuh, Fishmans, Jean Jacques Perrey, Les Rallizes Dénudés, Rainbow Caroliner, Taj Mahal Travellers, Fushitsusha, Peter Brötzmann, John Cage, Scott Walker, Unwound, Dead, Frank Zappa, Morton Feldman, Captain Beefheart, Pharoah Sanders, Albert Ayler, Ornette Coleman, Alice Coltrane, Arnold Schoenberg, Pierre Boulez, György Ligeti, Karlheinz Stockhausen, Thinking Fellers Union Local 282. Raymond Scott, Delia Derbyshire, Daphne Oram, Terry Riley, Peter Sotos, Boyd Rice, Henry Flynt, Kazumoto Endo, David Tudor, Half Japanese,Secret Chiefs 3, Keiji Haino, Ramleh, Otomo Yoshihide, John Zorn, Joe Meek, Faxed Head, Harry Partch, Wesley Willis, Fred Frith, The Residents, Sun Ra, Sun City Girls, Hans Krusi, Royal Trux, Jandek, Loren Mazzacane Connors, The Dead C, Comus, Cromagnon, Eliane Radigue, The Red Krayola, Opus Avantra, Pan.Thy.Monium., Murmuüre, Gong, cLOUDDEAD and Muslimgauze
>>
>WHAT ABOUT GENRES?

Genres popular among poseurs include, among others: jazz and its variants, industrial music, noise and its variants, "world music" and its variants, non-dance-oriented electronic music and its variants, "smart pop" music, "experimental" music in general.

>CAN YOU SHOW ME A LIVING, SPECIFIC EXAMPLE OF A POSEUR?

Sure. Straight from RYM, here it is: https://rateyourmusic.com/~sleepystalinist

>IS THERE A SPECIFIC PLACE ON /MU/ WHERE POSEURS CONGREGATE?

Yes. The hottest beds of poseur activity on /mu/ are the /RYM/, /daily/ and Top 100 album chart general threads.
Take note of the mentalities with which music is approached in these threads and you are bound to find even more repulsive details than have been exposed in this thread.

Lesser quantities of poseurs can also be found in threads such as /noise/, the Last.fm threads and the 3x3 Last.fm collage threads. These are a more benign and inconsequential variety of poseur, but they are poseurs nonetheless.

>Wow, this is some pretty heavy shit to take in. WHAT SHOULD I DO? HOW CAN I HELP PUT A STOP TO THIS?

That, friend, is entirely up to you.

This has been an informative thread regarding the subject of POSEURCORE. Thank you for your attention,

- The /mu/ Anti-Poseur Initiative
>>
>>63780584

New Mallgoth.

It doesn't mean anything.
>>
>>63780610
>>63780634
>>63780654

This much post-irony cannot be healthy.
>>
>>63780201
>forty minutes
>Expertly produced pop music
This describes Deceit pretty well
>>
>mfw this is what Montie did to /mu/
>>
>>63780259
>>63780610
>>63780634
>>63780654
You all are the worst thing to ever happen to this board.

>inb4 lol but we're trying to promote discussion and get rid of elitism
No you're not and you know it, stop being a fucking nuisance
>>
>>63780165
More like pseudointellectual-core. Same thing, I guess.
>>
ITT: autistic garbage.
>>
This is the dire consequence of having foster this pleb/patrician meme for years on this board. And the tragic result is that good albums - that you personally may like or not, whatever... - are labelled 'pretentious' or bad because they're listened to by pretentious persons. THIS MADNESS MUST STOP, /MU/!
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.