[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
SWANS - The Glowing Man
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 3
File: glowing man.jpg (646 KB, 1194x1194) Image search: [Google]
glowing man.jpg
646 KB, 1194x1194
Album Title: The Glowing Man (Title confirmed by Gira on his current solo tour)
Release Date: June 17TH
Tracks: (titles only, order unknown)

>The Glowing Man
>Cloud of Forgetting
>The World Looks Red
>Finally Peace
>Frankie M
>When Will I Return?
>The World Looks Black
>Cloud of Unforming
>People Like Us

"It is epic," he said of the album he described as “Ben-Hur coupled with Kurosawa’s Ran.” . "One piece has 240 separate tracks. But there are also a lot of delicate moments. There's a lot of orchestration - strings, horns, female singers. It's more detailed and nuanced than the last few records - there are some very pretty, idyllic things, in among the catacylsm. I invest everything I have in trying to make sure it's the best record ever made (laughs). Then it takes time later to realize if I've failed..." Michael Gira

"The album is valedictory just because the music itself is valedictory,"

http://younggodrecords.com/blogs/press/117354119-swans-mojo-working-in-the-studio-feature
http://consequenceofsound.net/2016/02/michael-gira-details-swans-valedictory-new-album/
>>
File: R-7559389-1444925251-7089.jpeg.jpg (290 KB, 600x673) Image search: [Google]
R-7559389-1444925251-7089.jpeg.jpg
290 KB, 600x673
>>63779623
Some information about the songs.

>The Glowing Man (Formerly "Black Hole Man")
Well this thing has morphed all over the damn place since we started playing it, even before To Be Kind was recorded (The Bring The Sun part of this recording, that is) and since BTS in now integral to Black Eyed Man, we're going to record it again for the new album, with new arrangement and including the modulations that now occur within it. Why not? Black Eye Man is a provisional title used here as I struggle to come up with an acceptable replacement for "Black Hole Man" which just ain't cutting it. Those words were something I came up with on the spot live but I can do better. Anyway this thing will be totally rearranged beyond recognition, I hope. I suspect more female vocals will be involved along the way. This thing was often quite ecstatic to play, and I recall once, just once, completely losing my mind and sense of self and when I returned from wherever I went discovering that I was weeping like a baby.

>Cloud of Forgetting
This song was quite new and not yet fully formed when this was recorded. Everybody plays lovely, but Christoph's ever-ascending arpeggiated lap steel part is beautiful and I'm toying with the idea of augmenting it with strings. I intend to play my guitar part (the main groove you hear here) on the acoustic guitar and I intend to sing in tune on the record.

>Finally Peace
If I have my way this will be a quite "pretty" pop song that will dissolve into a narcotic cloud of sound I forsee a sizeable cast of players on this one.
>>
File: MOJO_March2016_Swans_1024x1024.jpg (300 KB, 819x940) Image search: [Google]
MOJO_March2016_Swans_1024x1024.jpg
300 KB, 819x940
>>63779631
>Frankie M
This song has gone through a lot of variations since we first started playing it on tour over a yera ago. By the end of touring it seemed to arrive at a final stage, so I'm looking forward to rearranging it completely in the studio. Hopefully the clothes it is wearing on this recording will be unrecognizable once we're finished with it. Some ideas: female choir vocals with the cymbal swells, acoustic-based during the verses (I'd like to put some "Satelite of Love" stle backing vocals in there too, but not sure), and the end part is anyone's guess.

>When Will I Return?
I will not be singing on this song on the new record. It was written, as a gift, specifically for my wife Jennifer to sing. The trick for her will be to sing this dispassionately, veiling but simultaneously indicating the emotion that obviously is indicated by the words. I think this song will remain quite sparse, with a few sounds wafting in here and there and I expect the rhythmic outro to be gussied up a bit.

>Cloud of Unforming
This was recorded on the night when the song The Apostate morphed into Cloud of Unknowing. The groove at the end of Apostate was seeming slogy and predictable to us, so I think when it was supposed to come in I just signaled to not go there, and instead did something else on my guitar and it just flowed, improvised by all of us, into the beginnings of what was later to become The Cloud of Unknowing (which will appear, more fully realized on the upcoming album). This track is one of my favorites on this collection, because it captures a moment of uncertainty and reaching.

>People Like Us
This is a good-bye to Swans as we now know it. I hope to sing it more intimately on the record and just wish I could croon like Jim Morrison on Crystal Ship but that's sadly not in the cards so I'll find another path.
>>
>>63779623
some work went into this shitpost
>>
>>63779681
Check the sources, idiot.
>>
>>63779623
>It is epic
well memed, father
>>
>>63779712
HELLA FUCKING EPIC
>>
>>63779725
who needs subtlety anyway
>>
>>63779707
these are old links that we've known about for a while.
he's said nothing about the title, release date or tracklisting
>>
>>63779631
these are the liner notes for The Gate
>>
>>63779761
the tracklist order is unknown, the titles are in the MOJO article, the rest are from The Gate.

Release date is in the Consequence of Sound source, did you even check the links? It was originally May 2016 but since then it changed it June 17th, CoS were contacted by Gira's publicist and given an exact date. Do you think CoS would just post a random exact date for the album?

He's currently on a solo-tour and has been confirming the title as "The Glowing Man" to people that have asked.

https://www.reddit.com/r/swans/comments/4cplrx/michael_gira_confirmed_the_title_of_the_new_swans/
>>
>>63779761
I saw him live on his solo tour, and yes, he said the title will be "The Glowing Man"
>>
>>63779782
Did you even read them? He clearly talks about his aspirations for the songs in studio form.

This is how Gira operates, they make these songs during live tours. We Rose From Our Bed and Not Here / Not Now were exactly the same, they had songs from The Seer and To Be Kind a year before they were made into studio songs on their respective albums.
>>
>>63779843
>reddit
>>
>>63779878
what are you trying to imply?
>>
>>63779860
>"i saw him"
nice source man
>>
>>63779631
>Never playing Little God again

I hate myself so much for missing them on their last tour
>>
>>63779761
You're an idiot.
>>
>>63779894
i'm mostly just baiting you here man
>>
>>63779907
several people already confirmed that title, you can trust them or not, your choice
>>
>>63779926
ah fuck, got me there, I can't tell anymore what is bait and what is not
>>
if it sounds like tbk it will get panned
>>
>>63779631
>This thing was often quite ecstatic to play, and I recall once, just once, completely losing my mind and sense of self and when I returned from wherever I went discovering that I was weeping like a baby.
Is this the man that made filth and cop? lel
>>
>>63780016
yeah, sadly, I really hope there's something fresh on it
another TBK would be cool, but for a farewell album there should be more than that, I want a SftB Pt. 2
>>
>>63779761
you do realize this thread is purposed by informants who are the direct sauce, why else would it be here
the op could even be the little boy himself, commenting on your idiocy. he's known to be involved with his fans afterall
>>
>>63780118
Yupp. The massive label known as "Young God" with a staff of 2, definitely hires people to promote their albums on a Chinese anime board
>>
>>63780224
my dream career, to be honest
>>
>>63779623

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Gate_%28Swans_album%29

Haven't some songs been released already?
>>
>>63780430
Yes. This is how Gira works, are you not familiar with We Rose From Our Bed and Not Here / Not Now?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Not_Here_/_Not_Now

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/We_Rose_from_Your_Bed_with_the_Sun_in_Our_Head

He's reworked these in the studio, just like he did on The Seer and To Be Kind.
>>
>>63779631
>>63779650
Where are these quotes from?
>>
>>63779623
any audio files or videos of any tracks
>ben-hur coupled with kurosawa's ran.
>fuk
>>
>>63779650
this article is just such a strange picture to see
i could never see them doing this for 80's swans
>"it sounds like the musical equivalent of being raped", says swans fulcrum michael gira
>>
>>63780096
>I really hope there's something fresh on it
>I want a SftB Pt. 2
what
>>
>>63782110
not musical-wise, but context-wise
pushing everything they did before to the limit, make it all even more extreme
I don't want it to sound like Soundtracks
>>
>>63781546

From >>63779631 that image. Which is the liner notes from The Gate.
>>
>>63782215
Well, while Gira hasn't talked a whole lot about the album. From the sounds of it, it is going to be really ambitious in terms of arrangements and production, and in his own words more nuanced than the last 3 records, so expect more variety.

It sounds like he has every intention to make this his best album.
>>
Anyone else who isnt really feeling "The Glowing Man" as a title? Black Hole Man is much more badass. Dunno why Gira abandoned it, black holes are very Swansy objects in concept and there are several cosmic symbols in their new stuff anyway.
>>
>>63783127
Both are pretty strange album titles for Swans. Generally their titles are pretty broad and not about a single being.

Cop I guess is the closest to this.
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.