[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Thoughts on Godspeed You! Black Emperor
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 9
File: Liftyrskinnyfists.jpg (151 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
Liftyrskinnyfists.jpg
151 KB, 500x500
Thoughts on Godspeed You! Black Emperor
>>
they definitely got some great albums and songs, but I wouldn't consider them the best post-rock band
>>
>>63769617
Only listened to Slow Riot and F#A#Infinity, the latter of which is amazing and Slow Riot is okay. They're pretty good in that regard, I don't really have the drive to listen to their other works, F#A# feels like they said everything they had to say: Life is bleak, uncertain, and beautiful.
>>
>>63769972
you should really listen to skinny fists
>>
I fucking hate Canadians but before I knew where they were from I liked them alright. Reminded me of cLOUDDEAD, but enjoyable for people who haven't gone mad from exposure to deep ones.
>>
>>63770037
he should
>>
They have a really solid discography, not a single bad album

>inb4 Asunder is bad
>>
>>63770037
I mean I probably should but every time I start 'er off I just put on F#A#Infinity. Maybe someday.
>>
File: Efrim.jpg (92 KB, 480x320) Image search: [Google]
Efrim.jpg
92 KB, 480x320
Love them, second favorite band. I own their entire discography.

>>63769972
Just gonna warn you, they basically change tone right after those two, and especially after LYSF.
I have this theory that F#A# was kind of a protest record against the way they were living in Canada at the time, which is supported by some of the details in the liner notes of the CD. LYSF was more hopeful than F#A#, they became significantly more political. That's not a bad thing, as they tend to pick good targets like the military industrial complex, the bush administration or the threat of nuclear annihilation.

With Yanqui U.X.O. they give up named movements and they never try anything as thematic as F#A# and LYSF again. That's not necessarily a bad thing as they kind of perfected that style.
Look up the John Peel Session they did if you want more from the F#A# era and a perfect lead-in to LYSF.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZhCCOK1zYQ
https://archive.org/details/gybe1999-01-19.flac If you want it in FLAC
>>
>>63769617
Possibly, one of my favorite bands and definitely put on my favorite live show
>>
>>63770139
I saw them live and I swear that was a religious experience.
>>
>>63769617
They're like a boring movie score. Jesus, can they ever cut back with the boring shit and do rock, since they........HAVE ROCK INSTRUMENTS.
>>
>>63770122
give it like 10 minutes, it gets a feeling similar to the last couple minutes of Dead Flag Blues
>>
>>63770161
I love you forever
>>
>>63770177
that kinda defeats the whole point of post-rock dude
>>
>>63770161
Yeah, I felt as lifted as a good acid trip, literally hugging myself and swaying to the beauty, chaos, and awe
>>
>>63770177
gtfooh with that pleb sentence shit
>>
>>63770177
Thanks, Dave Grohl.
>>
>>63770177
The whole point of post-rock is to use "rock instruments" in a way different from rock music.

I hate the term Rock instrument. How can an instrument belong to a genre?
>>
>>63770191
Who cares? They're gay who makes slow very uninteresting music for my grandma
Here, here is my grandma right now
>grandma: fuuccckkk thhhaaaattt shhhiiiitt
>>
>>63770135
The liner notes are supremely interesting, really help setting the mood. I wouldn't say it was a kind of protest against the way they were living, but they way they were living was definitely reflective of the sound of the album, especially the CD version which is all around darker.

I don't mind political things in my music, hell dalek is one of my favorite bands. Though it helps that the political things of F#A#Infinity, like the opening monologue, don't feel forced at all. It feels so natural whereas in Slow Riot it felt redundant.

This John Peel Session sounds fucking incredible, thanks for that I never thought they would've played for him.

>>63770178
Ffffuck it I'll do it tonight I'm in the mood.

>>63770191
I mean some post-rock don't have violins n' shit, like the classic Rusty. The point of post-rock is as much using traditional rock instruments to create non-traditional sounds.
>>
>>63770191
>>63770212
>>63770245
I bet you guys like Kanye west and phill specter
>>
>>63770259
well, post-rock isn't limited to the slow build-up stuff
>>
>>63770259
You know, I knew that the first post was bait, but I didn't call it out. I probably should have.

Are you that proge tripfag who hates third wave post-rock and will shitpost like an autist whenever there's a thread about it?
>>
>>63769972
At least listen to the opening tracks on Skinny Fists. You'll find yourself surprised if you go in with those expectations.
>>
>>63770295
oh the obvious responce
>>
>>63770184
I will never let go
>>
>>63770295
why
>>
>>63770295
You're obviously too cool for everyone in this thread so leave
>>
Not a single bad album.

Asunder is their worst and that's a high seven.
>>
>>63770302
Explains.
>>63770305
>I know it's bait but I didn't say so because..........
There is no logic in that?
>Logic: yeah
>>
>>63769617
literally perfect
>>
Definitely one of the most boring post-rock bands out there. Crescendocore for people who say they don't like crescendocore

A Silver Mt. Zion is good though
>>
>>63770348
damn, Asunder is a personal 9/10, but I understand why people don't like it as much as their other albums

>>63770359
I didn't call it out because I wanted to express my distaste in the term "rock instruments"
>>
>>63770359
if we take a look at post-rock bands like gastr del sol, mob, don caballero, or massimo volume, you'll get the type of post-rock that rocks
>>
>>63770401
Do you have any other criticism than crescendocore?
>>
>>63770401
How is GY!BE boring? And you act as though crescendocore is inherently bad. It's all the derivative crescendo post-rock that's bad
>>
listening right now lads
>>
I dont get it. The quiet parts are just boring. Most of the parts are quiet.
>>
File: Godspeed_Handout.jpg (83 KB, 644x859) Image search: [Google]
Godspeed_Handout.jpg
83 KB, 644x859
>>63770284
In Slow Riot it, the sample always felt like kinda the point to me. They are anarchists after all. The John Peel session ranks up there as one of the best things they've ever done, and part of it is included on one of the songs on LYSF. I have a picture which is a map of the area around the Hotel2Tango, which I wish I could find, which is also part of what made me believe the "protest record" theory.

>>63770441
Chances are he doesn't unless he's gonna say something about their politics or how "forced" some things feel, or hipsters.

>>63770501
Not him but it's slow in comparison to a lot of other music. If you showed them Mlladic they may have a change in tone.

>>63770555
Did you manage to finish the John Peel session or are you not OP?

>>63770582
Try getting halfway into Mlladic.
>>
>>63770644
I'm not OP, I just wanted to post
>>
>>63770644
The best thing ever posted as a picture on 4chan
>>
>>63770701
Just chillax in a dark room and turn it up. That or take a car ride/train ride. There are three ways you can best listen to GY!BE. Live, in the dark and looking out the window while traveling somewhere.

I don't know why but that third one just sparks my imagination every single time.
>>
>>63770644
>In Slow Riot it, the sample always felt like kinda the point to me. They are anarchists after all

The thing is everything done or said on Slow Riot was done in F#A#Infinity. And I'm not just not convinced it's a protest record, it sounds too hopeless to be protesting of anything.
>>
>>63770804
Maybe it's a warning.
>>
>>63770918
I can buy that Lilly dear, but I just can't buy that it's a protest record. If it is, it's a piss-poor protest record because it doesn't offer any alternatives to what it's "protesting."
>>
>>63770804
Well maybe just a conveying of how they were living and how they see the world instead of a record about the apocalypse. Granted, Apocalypse is a significantly more vivid interpretation, but there are days where I put that on while I make breakfast and just get this feeling that's what the world is like now minus the total anarchy and violence.
I'm the dude you were talking to btw.
>>63770918
I think that would be Yanqui U.X.O. dude
>>
>>63769617
The best is slow riot. It's qute beutiful but the build ups become more predictable
>>
>>63771023
>Well maybe just a conveying of how they were living and how they see the world instead of a record about the apocalypse
>and just get this feeling that's what the world is like now minus the total anarchy and violence

Oh I agree completely, I don't think it's about the apocalypse at all not sure where you got that from.
>>
>>63771081
Want to see the awkward/funny video where that picture I posted came from?
>>
File: Skinny FIsts.jpg (1009 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
Skinny FIsts.jpg
1009 KB, 1920x1200
>>63771197

Sure!
>>
>>63771229
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31ziDxbcSj8
It's probably one of my favorite obscure bits of Godspeed tat. The ending got me in stitches once.
>>
>>63771245
I expected him to be more serious. That always happens, same with Phil Elverum
>>
>>63771245
Jesus fucking CHRIST that ending.

Also:
>Don't let anyone ever bring you down
>Makes some of "the saddest rockn&roll" ever
>>
File: GODPSEED.jpg (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
GODPSEED.jpg
2 MB, 1920x1080
>>63771294
From interviews i've read, he seemed to be when he was younger, but I think he's mellowed out as time has gone on. I think he's still pretty clearly depressed about the state of the world, but he's mellowed out with his wife and kid.
There's some great lines in that video.
>"You haven't played with that Carley ray Jepsem?"
>"No, but I'm sure we will one day".

>"All of Canada is like Detroit?"

>>63771378
I've gotta hit the sack man, but check out LYSF at some point, it's the most hopeful thing they've ever done. And if you get done with their discog, try the first 2 Silver Mt. Zion releases and maybe if you're feeling extra adventurous, Sing Reigns Rebuilder.
>>
>>63771407
>. And if you get done with their discog, try the first 2 Silver Mt. Zion releases and maybe if you're feeling extra adventurous, Sing Reigns Rebuilder.

Will do man, thanks for the discussion!
>>
>>63770441
>>63770501
It's solely focused on using instruments and crescendos to get muh feels. And the second and fourth sections drag on for way too long without really doing anything besides making you wonder what else you could have been listening to instead. I don't even dislike post-rock or even some crescendocore, but GY!BE is like as standard as it gets. Just because they were one of the first doesn't mean they were one of the best. And the use of strings to generate muh feels is one of the worst cliches in music ever
>>
>>63771473
Can you recommend some similar artists you like more?

>>63771407
Oh and by the way check out dalek's Untitled and Klaus Schulze's Irrlicht if you haven't gone to bed yet.
>>
>>63771473
>It's solely focused on using instruments and crescendos to get muh feels.

I completely disagree. GYBE!'s instrumentation, samples, and field recordings always complete a distinct feeling with each album. It's not simply crescendocore when the entire album feels like it's pushing a single strong message without even using words. How do you explain the cohesiveness of their albums and the distinct tone you get from most of their releases? Also, music is built upon dynamics. You can not escape it. There are going to be loud parts and slow parts. There are going to be slow parts and fast parts.

>And the use of strings to generate muh feels is one of the worst cliches in music ever

You are basically saying that they are not allowed to have a violin player.

Overall, your criticism doesn't seem fair, but it's your opinion.
>>
>>63771473
You're using lazy /mu/ terms to down play things instead of explaining why that's actually bad. Also GY!BE is possibly the most influential Post-rock band out there. Saying they're bog standard is like comparing thrash meral to black Sabbath or iron maiden's first few releases. It's like watching the original 1978 Dawn of the Dead and complaining that it's a formulaic zombie movie. GY!BE invented a lot of those post-rock clichés. I have a similar view thar annoys me about the arcade fire, but i'm not going to act like it isn't petty.
>>
>>63771473
This seems like a "Seinfeld is Unoriginal" type of situation
>>
>>63771484
Caspian, Do Make Say Think, Talk Talk, and Tortoise are some of my favorites that are still kind of similar. I also quite like Bark Psychosis but I'm not sure that they are that similar. Also Set Fire to Flames is worth checking out. They share a lot of members with GY!BE

I also enjoy Sigur Ros but I know I'm gonna get called out for that since they have a muh feels thing going on for a couple of their albums, Kveikur is my favorite of theirs though

>>63771559
I just tend to get bored after listening to them for like 10 minutes. They start out with their best ideas and then it always feels like it just drags on for a while until they finally land on something good again. I just think they could be better and that the majority of their work bores the hell out of me. And as for the strings thing, it just kind of gets on my nerves. I think it comes from my being a string player. It just feels like too many bands use violins and cellos solely to generate muh feels and it gets old because they could be used for so much more

>>63771573
I'm not dumb; I know GY!BE is a very influential band. But that doesn't necessarily make me like them more. And I think part of my frustration with them is that I like some of the other projects that some of the members are in and I just feel like the other projects are just generally better. But while I know GY!BE invented a lot of the cliches, it's still hard for me to listen to it without thinking that I know exactly what will happen for the next 5 minutes, which just isn't enjoyable for me

>>63771599
I get what you're saying but I feel like it's a bit different. I kind of said what I was thinking above
>>
>>63771484
I haven't yet i'm on my phone right now and typing like shit because I can't let this place go. I'll be sure to check those out tomorrow when I have time. I like Dalek from Spiritual Healing, but I'm kinda disappointed in myself I never gave that album a deep listen.

I'll try to give you a brief overview on the stuff I listed so I can make sure you don't come in from the wrong angle like I did with every single one of those.
Everything after LYSF takes a nosedive in quality, that's not to say any of then are bad or not great albums, they just don't reach the heights of the earlier stuff. Hell, you might be one of those people who ends up liking Yanqi more than LYSF ot F#A#.
Yanqui is an album I feel like you need to be in the right mood for. It's probably the exact album i'd put on if russia or somewhere starts bombing America.

After Yanqui, Allelujah is one you may end uo loving or just not care for. It's a sleeper in the sense of Bowie's Scary Monsters where it'd be the highlight of any other discog, but it'll always fall behind in rankings. It also contains Mlladic, one of their best songs. Play it loud and hope not to break your speakers.

Asunder is best live and was createx originally as one long track instead of four. Go in with low expectations.

Silver Mt. Zion's first 2 records are gold, but don't expect godspeed. They are mostly atmosphere, but emotional. [Spoiler] They have efrim singing. Beware, Efim is not a good singer, but that actually helps sell some of the lines. [/spoiler]

Sing Reign Rebuiler is out there, but the closest to F#A# you may get. I hated it the first time I heard it. I thought it was like godspeex but mixed with the annoying bit at the end of moonchild. Self indulgent at times, but it's a great record. Steal Compass, Drive North, Disapear is my favorite song title of alk time.
>>
>>63771727
Ahh, Do Make Say Thing I have one of their albums and have yet to listen to it. I've heard of the others, will check them out thanks.

>>63771888
dalek's Untitled is a must listen for any F#A#Infinity fan, and Irrlicht is some droney good stuff I think you'll dig it a lot.

Thanks for the other info, truly. Listening to LYSF right now this is pretty great stuff, 5 minutes in. Very...what's less than uplifting? Very optimistic. I like it.
>>
>>63771963
Winter Hymn Country Hymn Secret Hymn and & Yet & Yet are probably my favorite DMST albums. Great stuff
>>
Yanqui U.X.O. is underrated
>>
>>63771727
I see what this guy is saying. The first side of LYSF had a helluva start, but towards the middle it is EXTREMELY meandering. Unbelievably meandering. Goddamn. Maybe that's part of the charm.
>>
Anyone here know the origins of the voice sample at about the 27 minute mark on LYSF? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZwQeZh6rP0
>>
completely inferior to moya's other project HRSTA
>>
>>63769617
Saw them live with my friend in Milwaukee in February. We were right in front of the stage, but unfortunately my view of Efrim was blocked. I enjoyed watching everyone else play though. Great concert
>>63770348
>>63770404
I feel like Asunder felt too much like ADBA, and the two drone tracks seemed lazy. Piss Crowns is a fucking fantastic song though
>>
>>63771407
thanks for my new wallpaper, bro
>>
File: _MG_9803.png (267 KB, 640x427) Image search: [Google]
_MG_9803.png
267 KB, 640x427
>>63769617
>>63770139
>>63770161
Im seeing them in August, Im hyped as fuck.

F# is easily my favorite album ever or at least tied with a few others. But the and themselves are probably my favorite band and I have been waiting to see them live for years.
>>
they're the only post-rock band I can stand
>>
>>63770097
The first and last tracks are amazing, but they're shit at making drones
>>
Yanqui is the only album of theirs I haven't been able to get into. Is there a secret to loving it?
>>
>>63776713
can somebody help this poopy puffer out?
>>
>>63775502
Expect a lot of new stuff, but that's not a bad thing. Hope you get blessed enough that they play Mlladic, jesus Christ is that song amazing live.

>>63776713
>>63776878
You need to be a in a very specific mood in order to like it. Like, a very specific mood where you're up for sounding like something that sounds like the bombs are going to fall and you want to be in that moment.
>>
>>63770073
Kill urself my man
>>
File: Rockets_fall_on_rocket-Falls.jpg (588 KB, 1118x812) Image search: [Google]
Rockets_fall_on_rocket-Falls.jpg
588 KB, 1118x812
If you want to have a fun time/look for new wallpapers, search godspeed you black emperor or some of their album titles on deviantart. Yeah, as is usual with deviantart you'll get a bunch of cringey trash, but there is some great stuff in there. Pick related, Rockets Fall on Rocket falls is one of my favorites i've found.
Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.