[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>I love you Jesus Christ what did he mean by this?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3
File: 6026208171_2e3a48ba07_o.jpg (21 KB, 251x297) Image search: [Google]
6026208171_2e3a48ba07_o.jpg
21 KB, 251x297
>I love you Jesus Christ

what did he mean by this?
>>
is it
i love you jesus christ
or
i love you. jesus christ.
>>
or
i love, you. jesus christ.
>>
or
i love you jesus. christ!
>>
or
i. love you, jesus christ.
>>
Pitchfork: Well, I've already told you what I think is gonna weird people out in the indie-rock scene or whatever-- but, fuck 'em! It's real interesting to me that when you sing "I love you Jesus Christ" rather than "I love you Linda Sue" that it becomes totally different for a lot of listeners. Obviously, it is a very different meaning, but people might ascribe a whole set of characteristics toward you, or think of you completely differently, because of that one line. And of course, just because you sing a song doesn't mean that it's your own belief or outlook. People understand Robert De Niro isn't actually a boxer, but can't understand that a song might be someone working in character unless you make it super obvious.

JM: I can't honestly say that I 100% know what that song means. Do you have a minute? 'Cause this is going to take a little while to really explain this.

Pitchfork: Sure.

JM: For a lot of these songs, I was able to lock myself in a room and allow my mind to completely let out anything it wanted without me worrying too much about what anybody was gonna think. And I think that a song about God was inevitable, because of my upbringing, of the intense experiences I had growing up-- going to these crazy Church camps where everything was very open. We talked about sexuality freely, we talked about...
>>
>>63768135
FUCK YOU
>>
Pitchfork: And how old were you at the time?

JM: From 11 to 17.

Pitchfork: Where were the camps?

JM: In central Louisiana, out in the boonies.

Pitchfork: Is this the hippie influence on Christianity?

JM: It wasn't even really hippie, it was just weird-- where like you could just spill your guts all over the place, people were like laying around or like leaping and freaking out. But it wasn't so much that it was a God trip as much as it was an emotional, human trip. Even if you were an Atheist and your parents shipped you down there, you could talk about it. You could talk openly about your Atheist beliefs and there would be debates about it. And being an Atheist was just as beautiful as anything else.

The thing about me singing about Christ; I'm not saying "I love you Christianity." I'm not saying "I love all the fucked-up terrible shit that people have done in the name of God." And I'm not preaching belief in Christ. It's just expression. I'm just expressing something I might not even understand. It's a song of confusion, it's a song of hope, it's a song that says this whole world is a big dream-- and who knows what's gonna happen.

We played a show with Vic Chesnutt two weeks ago in Athens and he sat on the stage and played for 30 minutes and didn't stop. And he sang all these songs about how like action and reaction are the closest things to truth in the universe, how he's had all these out-of-body experiences but they weren't supernatural. And I thought it was the most beautiful thing I've ever heard. To me, it's like I'm expressing something that's within me that I can't really explain that really has nothing to do with religion. My love for Christ has more to do with what he said and what he believed in. Then the church put all this fucked-up bullshit around it and made it all this really evil thing at times. If you attach man to anything, he's gonna fuck it up somehow, one way or the other. You think that's too cynical? [laughs]
>>
File: 1459653203285.jpg (571 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
1459653203285.jpg
571 KB, 700x700
>pen capo
what did he mean by this
>>
Pitchfork: No, and we all fuck up. I don't believe in Christ myself, but the sermon on the mount and all the "love your enemy stuff" is an awesome philosophy. And I believe in God, but it's not something I talk about very much. And it's new to me, and it's weird. But I've always found music to be a really spiritual thing. It doesn't matter what kind of music so long as it's really pure, and really good: It's a totally spiritual thing to me.

JM: Right. My only thing with this record is that I feel like the record is very spiritual, but I don't consider it to be religious. And I just hope that when people hear me sing about Christ in the beginning, I hope they understand where I'm coming from in terms of the spiritual aspect of the record can be enjoyed.

Pitchfork: It's not about preaching.

JM: No. I'm just one person. And I haven't joined the Baptist church!
>>
Its new sincerity
>>
File: image.jpg (86 KB, 479x594) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
86 KB, 479x594
SWAG
>>
>>63768274
I like those glasses, where did you purchase them Erin

>>63768262
/lit/ pls go
not even part of the New Sincerity scene
>>
This is probably one of the hardest lines to actually analyze. Here's my take, I want others to jump in

Like, he's saying I love you Jesus Christ. I don't think it's sincere, I really don't. The way he belts it so nakedly and simply and directly, I really think there's irony there. But irony is just a word, it doesn't explain anything. I love you Jesus Christ. I mean the way his voice sounds I can almost sense hate? Maybe bitterness? That the world is fucked up and Anne had to die of typhoid fever in a concentration camp? He can't be professing his love sincerely; I really think it's bitter, cold, but in a way that... it's just angry.

Someone please correct me.
>>
probably reflects the awe that arises from dissatisfaction with the world
>I'm not saying "I love you Christianity." I'm not saying "I love all the fucked-up terrible shit that people have done in the name of God."
>it's a song that says this whole world is a big dream-- and who knows what's gonna happen.

reminds me of wislawa szymborska's poetry
>>
I, love, you! Jesus, Christ?
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.