[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Lossless is a terrible meme
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3
File: Loophonium.jpg (22 KB, 475x464) Image search: [Google]
Loophonium.jpg
22 KB, 475x464
Ever wanted to know the actual difference between lossless and high bit-rate audio? This video shows how to hear exactly what you're missing by canceling out the audio that they share.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoBPNTAFZMo

>192 Kbps
>ONE NINETY TWO

If you wanted you can go ahead and do this yourself with a 320 kbps bitrate and laugh at the even more negligible difference between the two. A moment of silence for all the mouthbreathers that wasted time finding music in the most obscure format who only ended up wasting 3x the storage space on their hard drive.

Lossless is literally the 1000$ gold plated HMDI cord of the audio world.
>>
If anything it's for archiving.
Whenever the point comes where there is an audio file with highable and hearable quality than 320kbps, which to some people is flac. Then it would be simply to compress it to that new quality because the quality is there.

You can't add pixels to a picture, only manipulate existing pixels. in the same way where you can't add quality to an MP3 only manipulate. if this file were to exist and sounded amazing, then having lossy 320kbps will be inferior, guess what. You can't turn your shitty mp3s into that file. Because you can't add kbps.
However you can compress a lossless flac into it.
>>
>>63763291
he just demonstrated that you are missing some sound with mp3, even though it isn't very much
>>
>>63763291
but he demonstrated that you are missing some sound with mp3, even though it isn't very much
>>
>>63764271

Well even on my shitty Mac soundcard + Youtube compression it appears to be substantial.

And anyhow size issues are not the same as ten years ago. Now we have to deal with video more than audio on that matter IMHO
>>
If you can't hear the difference between lossless flac and mp3 then you need to upgrade your sound system, my m8

Simple as that
>>
>>63763291
fuck you
if i can't hear the drummer let out a small fart in the middle of the song then it's not good enough
>>
File: flac.jpg (17 KB, 311x83) Image search: [Google]
flac.jpg
17 KB, 311x83
It's actually easier to find FLAC stuff on rutracker, I barely use what anymore but all I remember was that the autists there join that autistic tracker by learning all about various formats and their importance just to download their Kanye West albums in V0.

Also lossless is more practical for Soulseek where anything lossy is almost certainly a transcode. I still check lossless stuff on a spectrogram but I rarely find that any of it is shitty lossy to lossy stuff. I can't find most of the stuff I want anywhere other than Soulseek, so that really helps.
>>
>>63763291
? that sounded fairly substantial to me
>>
>>63763291
that instrument is banned in India
>>
>>63763372
I couldn't extract any meaning from what you wrote.
you should work on expressing your ideas more clearly
>>
>>63764858
haha ebin /int/ meme my friend
>>
This is such a dumb video.
Firstly it's imperfect because he just lined it up by hand. He even said that it needs to be perfect to work but he only did it by eyeballing it.
Secondly in any case the difference was quite substantial in my opinion despite the compression of the youtube video and my shitty listening setup right now.
If anything he's proven the exact opposite point he was trying to.
>>
>>63763291

The missing portion actually sounded pretty sweet, how long do you think it will be before we get a new meme genre centered around only keeping that?
>>
>>63764618
came to the thread to say exactly this. it's much easier for me to find stuff in FLAC than in 320 - generally i acquire FLAC and convert it to 320 myself.
>>
in the end none of this really matters because we can't hear above 20 khz and the general populace that makes the world go 'round doesn't know/care about high end audio. it doesn't affect the pleasure they derive from hearing the music they like. not to mention most of us drop below 16 khz after age 20ish.
>>
Whats the fastest way to listen my flac files itunes

>in b4 dl converter
>>
http://www.audiocheck.net/audiotests_frequencycheckhigh.php

where you guys topping out? i'm 25 and can hear from 18 khz down.
>>
>>63767690
Convert it to ALAC. It's the only way to do so.
>>
File: 1457929024108.gif (2 MB, 200x133) Image search: [Google]
1457929024108.gif
2 MB, 200x133
My idiot dickhead workmates play Eminem and Metalica out of their shitty cel phone mosquito speakers. This makes them happy (but also retarded).
>>
>>63767884

any rec how to
>>
>>63767773
21, and I start to hear just after he says 18k. So, hooray, I guess.
>>
>>63768491
Depends on what operating system you're using
>>
>>63764976
it was written well and clearly enough. go work on your reading comprehension.
>>
look, even 384kbps audio (mp2) has a noticeable difference

http://puu dot sh/o4h8b/c861b49208.aiff sorry puush gets filtered for spam
>>
>>63765032
but itwas mostly hissy high end
>>
>>63764976
>you should work on expressing your ideas more clearly

To me it's very clear. Moreover, that anon drew a nice parallel with pictures to point out the limitations of lossy files.

...get a dictionary maybe ?
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.