[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what do people in your life think of your music taste?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 7
File: #4.jpg (137 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
#4.jpg
137 KB, 640x640
what do people in your life think of your music taste?
>>
i get made fun of for listening to "static"
>>
My sister gets offended every time I mention that I listen to full albums
I'm not even an asshole about it, she just thinks it's wrong to download a full album
>>
>>63750683
same desu
>>
>>63750690
My sister is pleb supreme when it comes to music.

>be in the car
>she has her earbuds in
>ask her what she's listening to
>"I don't know"

>our parents continue to buy her CDs and DVDs as gifts even though she leaves them outside of their cases randomly around her room and they get scratched to the point of being beyond unplayable

>she's seen The Black Eyed Peas live three times
>>
They barely know about it. I like it that way.

For some reason, people are very vocal about how much they hate your music taste. People also have absolutely no problem with changing whatever music I put on, even if it only plays for 10 seconds. I never put on music at parties anymore, Instead I try to spot the guy who wants to be the music god of the party, and I shit on his music taste and laugh at him to make him feel bad.

I go to several gigs alone. I haven't had a concert companion since 2010.
>>
File: 1398790365406.png (2 MB, 1201x884) Image search: [Google]
1398790365406.png
2 MB, 1201x884
>>63750743
I have experienced those sentiments more than enough
>>
>have two friends recently getting into noise
>coming to me for recs
>feelsgoodman.jpg
>>
My friends call me a hippie cause I mentioned Sgt. Peppers once.
>>
>>63750683
as you should
>>
File: image.jpg (95 KB, 804x802) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
95 KB, 804x802
>friend texts "what's goin on"
>i reply "idk found a cool album"
>"is it your weird music again lol"
>>
All my friends listen to hip hop, so do I, except they're all plebs and always ask for suggestions. Feels good brah
>>
My mates call me a metalhead because I listen to noise rock
>>
Got a friend into the music I like for the purpose of having someone to go to shows with. He's all about it now about two years later and learns the lyrics to songs faster than I do so now I seem like the pleb. Gf tolerates it. Doesn't seem put off or even slightly intrigued but will put up with it in the car if I put an album on. My parents hate it. Too much swearing for their tastes. My dad will straight up start yelling at me if he hears a single "fuck." There are usually several "fucks" so I avoid playing anything but sports talk radio when he's in the car. I hate sports talk radio ._.
>>
My dad likes it that I listen to some rock classics but looks at me in a strange way every time it's something else.

Oh well.
>>
all of my close friends have immaculate taste and are in general cooler than I am
>>
My friends respect that I listen to different stuff to them, because I'm not autistic about it. They usually put some neutral milk hotel on at parties and gatherings for me, most of my friends I've shown NMH to liked it so it's always fun to put on.
>>
>friends enjoy my obsession with the strokes
>get into conversations about Julian's voice or Nick's guitar playing
>begin rambling about Is This It and Room on Fire
>one friend stands up and yells
>"HE'S HAVING A FUCKING STROKE"
>>
They've described it as "weird and bad music".

I honestly don't want to know what the "weird and good music" is.
>>
>>63752124

There's times where you ignore it and times where you move on

This is the latter
>>
>>63752124
ignore that shit, once she is yours you can easly influence her to listen to other stuff
>>
>>63750664

i more or less dictate my friends' taste in music

they're great, don't even mind swans or beefheart

pretty much share the exact same taste with my dad

he's like a much more eclectic vesion of pierro

my mom likes jonathan richman, the cure, nas & lauryn hill, patty smith, nick cave, einstürzende neubauten, bonobo..

not typical mom music i guess

my girl is pretty okay with most of what i listen to, she loves animal collective and jonathan richman
>>
>>63751951

that's nice anon

>>63751963

that's weird as fuck. is nmh really the best you can do for parties/gatherings? i mean i love them and all, but that's so ill fitting.

>>63752242

she's a person not a pet.
>>
>>63752242
Nah, we've been talking for a few months now, the best I've gotten was a "not bad" when I chucked onVulnicara when we were studying for exams
>>
Anyone else increasingly come across people IRL who very evidently browse /mu/?

Whenever I meet someone whose playlist is full of Death Grips/Swans/MBV, I internally cringe.

I've met two of those guys in the past 2 months.
>>
>>63750743
even worse
>they leave your CDs lying around and scratched up and they inevitably end up 'lost' because they can't be assed to actually put your shit in a reasonable location when they take it out of the car CD player
seriously, I've lost multiple CDs I paid for with my money because siblings (and parents) don't respect that some people don't want their shit broken
>>
File: image.jpg (50 KB, 403x403) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
50 KB, 403x403
>be me
>be 17
>meet 7/10 girl at party
>start talking about music
>"wat do you like?" I ask
>garage rock like Black Keys and Strokes
>meh, not bad I guess, could be worse
>start hanging out
>introduce her to progressively weirder artists and bands everytime
>one day introduce to The Residents and The Boredoms
>she really likes both of them
>mfw

dating for 3 1/2 years now, feels good anons.
>>
File: cover.jpg (580 KB, 1280x1277) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
580 KB, 1280x1277
>>63752098
weird = bad to them m8
for example, once I played pic related in the car with my sister and she obviously thought it was alright but kept complaining about how 'weird' it was and wouldn't respond clearly when I asked her if she liked it (and she's had no issue shitting on my taste before)
>>
>>63752410
>Anyone else increasingly come across people IRL who very evidently browse /mu/?

Oh god, yes. I blame Fantano, honestly. Most kids I know worship the fucker, clinging on to his every judgement. Every time he considers something favorable ( >Death Grips/Swans/MBV ), it's suddenly immaculate by default.

All these kids ever do is consume without critique. There doesn't have to be anything wrong with that, but they're just not thinking for themselves, which is a really shitty habit to form.
>>
Try living in the netherlands with friends who are into the shittiest rappers in existence.
>>
people apologise to me when they like something that they think i wont

"yeah i know its simple anon, but you gotta admit its good, you know, for what it is.....right?"
>>
>>63752576
For some reason she insisted that there was weird and good music and my taste was weird and bad but refused to give any examples

That sort of explains it
>>
>>63752509

why not just keep the fucking CDs at your home and make a copy of them?...

>>63752529

congrats my man

>>63752635
>>63752410

we live in very, very weird times. pop music is getting weirder (young thug, kyari pamyu pamyu, lady gaga, even fucking miley cyrus & the flaming lips nude show) and people are trying to 1up each other.

with the possibility of constructing a completely new character on any profile for any website people now abuse any kind of interest, be it a hobby or a lifestyle, eg music or veganism to profile themselves to their peers.

honestly, we're heading for big trouble. i'm 100% certain that this fucks with the human psyche in ways we cannot even imagine. there are studies linking overt use of facebook to either narcissism or depression, depending on which end you are on.

people more and more cannot distinguish between digital realities and physical realities, because they're melting together. people are not just browsing the web at home, they're doing it at any place at any time.

we're heading for some serial experiments lain type scenario, i'm feeling it.
>>
>>63752714
>panic.jpg

I'd better cling on to my proge
>>
>>63752714
>why not just keep the fucking CDs at your home and make a copy of them?
the old car we have can't play CD-rs, otherwise I would. not to mention that I only keep one or two CDs in there at a time and it can have six in at a time, so they could very easily just take out one of their own instead of passive aggressively taking out my shit
>>
>>63752714
> there are studies linking overt use of facebook to either narcissism or depression, depending on which end you are on.

Don't wanna prod, but could you direct me to any specific studies, essays, or research papers? It's cool if you don't have anything (you're point is clear, and I can see it by just talking to any group of people who frequently use social media), but I'm just interested in seeing experiments and data in relation to all of this.
>>
>>63752771

man that blows. sorry

>>63752748

that won't save you, jimbo
>>
One time I left a Swans CD at my girlfriend's house and she listened to it and actually liked it. Sometimes she asks me about the "album with the dog on it." I don't even like Swans
>>
>>63752678
Try living in Mexico where people are obsessed with reggaeton.
>>
>>63752858

http://digitalcommons.pace.edu/dissertations/AAI3415681/

This is the study I was referring to. There's only the abstract. It used to be accessible for the public, but I guess no longer.
>>
I get called a hipster a lot. They don't actually know how much of a hipster I am.
>>
Weird and bad. But they all listen to metallica and disturbed so who cares
>>
>>63750664
I'm boring as fuck

Which I probably am though
>>
>>63753029
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXYOncYHRKs
>>
My dad says that I was born on the wrong decade because I play jazz records with a turntable whenever he visits me.
>>
>>63750664
All of my friends use to listen to good music, if you have problems to talk or listen to music with the people around, you are choosing badly your friends
>>
There's this tumblrina who likes generic tumblr music aka lollapalooza-core and sutff, you get the idea. I was listening to AnCo's MPP and she gave it a listen and genuinely called it "weirdo music".
>>
>>63753044
Thanks! I actually have some chums over at Pace, so I may even be able to track down the author if I care enough. Otherwise, the full paper is probably pirateable somewhere.
>>
They think im actually going to mcdonalds specifically at 3:33 am in the morning for their cheeseburgers
>>
Used to be pretty disgusted but nowadays I'm a lot more blended with my music taste so I end up putting some tunes on and people will dig it usually

It's better to think "what are tunes people will enjoy in this moment" rather than "I'm gonna put -MY- tunes on. MY TUNES"
>>
I don't really discuss my music tastes with people irl

but given that my favourite singers include Lady Gaga, Madonna and Cher they'd probably think that I'm gay
>>
>>63753349
yeah this is the right approach, if there are points for autism then you've lost some.
>>
>>63750683
you deserve it
>>
people think my taste is "diverse" for enjoying "other" music despite being a metalfag
i think they're retarded
>>
you just don't have to be autistic about it.
if you're asked to put some music on, play something that you think most of the plebs will like.

i've got some weird shit on my music library but when i'm around other people i usually play some soul/funk/hip-hop tunes and everybody seems to be fine with them.

i used to have some red hot chili peppers' albums on my ipod but i had to delete them because EVERYTIME one of my friends wanted to play something from the ipod, they would choose RHCP among all those other "weird bands".
>>
i hide my music taste, everyone i know thinks i don't listen to music at all
>>
every time i show my friends Fugazi they think it sounds like linkin park. KILL ME!
>>
>>63753939
true though
>>
File: ayy lmao.gif (107 KB, 343x350) Image search: [Google]
ayy lmao.gif
107 KB, 343x350
>>63753939
kek
>>
>Plays lofi and punk
"Wow anon, you have some shitty taste in music"

Sometimes I'll play stuff I listened to on the radio back in 2006 and the normies eat it up. Even shit that isn't super weird like Front Bottoms or Andrew Jackson Jihad and everyones all "Are you listening to that weird music again, anon?".
>>
>>63753939
kek
>>
most of them are the "i like everything as long as there's no screaming" types so as far as i don't play any noise rock/hardcore/metal/etc. out loud they don't really care what it is
i bet if i played some mo*te or kyary pamyu pamyu they'd flip the fuck out though
>>
I got my best mate hooked on Death Grips after showing him Exmilitary, so it's pretty good.
>>
>>63750919
t. teenager who just got into noise
>>
>>63750664
>Dad

Didn't let me listen to rock or rap growing up. I still did though, snuck out to concerts a lot.

>Older brother

Only listens to trendy rap, so he only likes my music to that extent.

>Friends

They're pretty receptive to my tastes, especially since one of my friends in the group has almost the same taste as me, so we both kinda influence our group of friends that way.

>tfw your friends unironically ask you to put on Death Grips while on your way from a party

Feels good man.

>My girl

We met at a Toro y Moi concert, so needless to say our music taste is nearly identical. She's likes pretty much all the stuff I show her.
>>
One of my friends listens to most of the same stuff I do, just where I venture farther into obscurity or experimental stuff he has a better knowledge of jazz and classic rock (I grew up pretty much on new wave and punk so I'm still getting into a lot of the classics now) we frequently discuss music and exchange recs which is good and sometimes it'll take longer for him to get into something like modest mouse or red house painters but know he loves both
Another one of my friends will sometimes gravitate towards the afronentioned one because he wants more accessible stuff but we all have a mutual love for the beach boys, death cab, and Simon and garfunkel. I suggested I love you honey bear and he fell in love with it which isn't surprising cause he's like a more introverted father John misty.
My third friend mostly listens to trap but we suggested modern baseball after he was complaining about girl problem and now weirdly he loves that band
My gf thinks it's really cool that I'm into music and always compliments me on it and usually likes the stuff I've sent her (she really liked the polyphonic spree, the zombies, Alex g, pinegrove, and songs ohia among others but is a little iffy on car seat headrest and lcd soundstystem)
My little sister sometimes jokes about me listening to "weird" music but she loves this will be out year by the zombies that I showed her
Pretty much since I stopped being a Dick about music like I www everyone likes me a lot better and music now allows for easier conversation and communication rather than using it as isolation from others
>>
>play MPP in the car with my brother who exclusively listens to hip hop
>"this albums amazing anon"
having someone react positively to music you show them is such a great feeling for some weird reason
>>
Some of my friends like some of the bands I like (Teen Suicide, Godspeed, Death Grips), but they also dislike some of it (Swans, LCD Soundsystem etc.). My sister hates everything I listen to because apparently it's awful, but whenever it comes on in a situation sometimes she'll like it. Other relatives like some of what I listen to and dislike some of it.
>>
>>63753349
same
I legit don't know why you would put on anything that doesn't suit the moment. No one wants to hear To Be Kind at the dinner table.
>>
>>63755128
*in a situation where I'm not the one playing it
>>
>>63753349
this desu senpai
>>
My dad really enjoys hearing what I listen to for the most part, but I don't ever play anything really abrasive when he's around.

My mom might as well only listen to easy-listening stuff. The only artist we have in common is Coldplay.

My little brother has decent taste, although yall would probably call him a pleb.

I don't know what the fuck my sister listens to.

>>63755128
I didn't know it was actually possible for people to dislike lcd soundsystem
>>
>>63755334
What does your little brother listen too?
>>
>>63752059
r u me
>>
>>63752678
Try living in Belgium who are mostly into EDM and Muse
>>
>>63752328
>she's a person not a pet.

you'll never get a girl house broken with that attitude.
>>
oh god my roommates reactions when i play music, apparently even xxyyxx is "weird."
>>
>>63750664
Most people I know think I like good music, but a lot of it is too out there. I'm kinda diverse, but anyone on here would probably get mad that I tend to tip my toes into a genre, grab a few of the best releases, and move on sometimes coming back to look around more. I have a friend I got into Death Grips but while he hasn't been able to get past the Money Store, he seems to be following them as a band.

The Residents are probably the most out-there I've listened to on a regular basis. Pic related is a great compilation for getting into them btw, even if it omits some albums. Although I more often recommend the chart.
>>
I'm regarded as the person with the best music taste for pretty much all occasions, so yeah I'm good
>>
I generally try and hide it, mostly since my friends and family never ask. Pretty much only my parents and sister ever get a dose of what I listen to, and that's usually only when I'm visiting them.
Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.