[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Queen of the Stone Age
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 8
File: like-clockwork-5194f76289b80.jpg (257 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
like-clockwork-5194f76289b80.jpg
257 KB, 1000x1000
They good? What are your thoughts, which albums are worth checking out?
>>
>>63746040
They're consistently great, but Songs for the Deaf and Like Clockwork are their peak albums.
>>
>>63746611
This pretty much
>>
Era Vulgaris is pretty much tied with LC as their best, I'd say.
>>
Rated R is what you should listen to OP. Pure QOTSA sound
>>
>>63746733
Finally someone who shares this opinion with me.
>>
>>63746040
They're fun. You can pretty much start wherever you want. I randomly acquired Era Vulgaris in 2011 and that shit changed my life. Some songs are growers, some are obviously bangers. I'm Designer is GOAT https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFHyT64ITnQ
>>
>>63746040
Like Clockwork is incredible. The songwriting and riffs are perfect
>>
File: Josh_002.jpg (33 KB, 455x500) Image search: [Google]
Josh_002.jpg
33 KB, 455x500
All of their albums are great, listen to everything if you are into it. Their albums have a lot of variety and often share a theme, which makes it very interesting to listen to. Also Josh Homme's riffs and solos are mesmerising. Also check TCV and Desert Sessions if you end up liking QOTSA.
>>
File: 140212-Josh-Homme.jpg (160 KB, 940x626) Image search: [Google]
140212-Josh-Homme.jpg
160 KB, 940x626
>>63746040
they get a lot of hate around here, nice to see a friendly thread

the s/t is also a good place to start, although i definitely prefer like clockwork over any of their albums, mostly because it's the only one that is fairly depressing
>>
>>63747806
So many people bash this album, but it's song structures are pure genious and it's sound is so unique
>>
>>63746040
they good. "I Appear Missing" is one of the best songs of the 2010s
>>
As the other dudes said, LC and SFTD are probably their best/most popular albums. SFTD is full of consistently good, fun songs, while LC is their most mature and probably refined album.
>>
>>63746040
all of their albums are at least 8/10s for me except lullabies to paralyze, which is kind of mediocre. i'd start with songs for the deaf, then work backwards to rated r
>>
LC = SFTD>EV>S/T>RR>LTP
>>
File: lullabies.jpg (10 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
lullabies.jpg
10 KB, 225x225
I honestly think I'm the only one that thinks Lullabies is their best. Which is prob dumb cause its the one I see get rated the lowest all the time.
>>
Love them. SFTD definitely was album of my middle school years, and happy it still holds up.
After that Lullbies and Era are good. And Clockwork, was Deaf levels of good. RR and S/T as good.

Not my favorite band, but they they one of the few bands with solid consistency.
Nothing that I would consider bad.
>>63748637
>depressing
That's pretty much why I enjoy clock as well. It's eerily peaceful.
>>
>>63746611
This right here.

>>63748637
>they get a lot of hate around here
Nah. On the contrary, I hear mostly good things about them on /mu/.

>>63750227
It's definitely good, not sure if I could even call anything by them bad. One exception would be some songs on the second half of Rated R. First half is great, the second pisses me off, not sure why.

Lullabies is good, but it was the followup to Songs for the Deaf. That's pretty hard to follow, especially with a collection of songs that's the diet version of SFTD. To me it just sounds like a string of well made rock songs. There's some tiny detail that I'm just missing there, and I can't put my finger on it.

Era Vulgaris is the one that's been working up the ranks for me. It's a real grower, because it's so out there. If they ever finish the next album, I hope they can add some of that Era craziness in there.
>>
Shit pleb band, and Kyuss is better
>>
>>63750227
I've relistened it not so long ago, and I should note, there's some really good songs like Burn the Witch (yes, single) and "You Got a Killer Scene There, Man...", but overall it's their least adventurous album, I guess. Or on the par with s/t.
>>
You start with Songs for the Deaf, then you go for Rated R and Lullabies. That's just how it goes. Then you're on your own, because they never made a bad album.

Some people will claim that Era Vulgaris and Lullabies to Paralyze are bad, they are dead wrong. The opener on Era Vulgaris is my favorite QOTSA song.
>>
qotsa openers rank:
1. Turning on the Screw
2. Keep Your Eyes Peeled
3. Feel Good Hit of the Summer
4. Regular John
5. This Lullaby
6. You Think I Ain't Worth a Dollar
>>
>>63750682
You nailed it. I'd probably put Keep Your Eyes Peeled on first place, but that's debatable.
>>
>>63750682
>>63750691
>keep your eyes peeled
>being great
never impressed me, dunno. felt kinda boring
>>
>>63750682
For me it's:

1. Turning on the Screw
2. This Lullaby/Medication (I count them both)
3. Regular John
4. Millionaire
5. Keep Your Eyes Peeled
6. Feel Good Hit
>>
>>63750777
keep Millionaire last and it's all good.

also checkd
>>
>>63750777
Yeah, Medication is a fucking fun song.
>>
>>63750797
I've listened so much to SFTD that Millionaire actually might be last place. I just think it deserves some credit. I like the cheesy "is-the-song-over-no-it-isn't" start/stop thing they did.
>>
they're good if you like buttrock
>>
>>63750709
Same. It's one of those traks I listen to just waiting for the next track, since I Sat By the Ocean is one of my favorite songs from Queens.
>>
>>63750543
>One exception would be some songs on the second half of Rated R.
Which songs?
>>
>LC actually getting praise
One of the biggest disappointments of this decade for me. Josh sounds like he's having a mental breakdown in every song. I get it, he had that near death experience or whatever it's called, but his theatrics do nothing for me. It's a shame cuz Eva Vulgaris was super fun and it's probably my favorite QotSA record. It's just that not giving a damn attitude that I liked so much about this band. Now they're just some lame indie grandpas. It's a shame.
>>
>>63753241
QOTSA doesn't sound like buttrock in the slightest
>>
>>63754723
It may be their worst, but it's still awesome.
>>
>>63754723
I was also pretty disappointed. Some tracks pleasantly reminded me of LTP, but that's about it. As you said, no attitude.
>>
>>63754723
>>63754840
it's probably just the shock value of an abrupt change. I started my QotSA journey with like clockwork and absolutely loved it, having not known anything about the band yet.
>>
>>63755058
Probably. I remember old fans on the RekordsRekords forums hating LTP and EV, and those were my first and I loved them.
>>
>>63755649
It's because he fired Nick Oliveri.
>>
>>63754713
I really don't like I Think I Lost My Headache. Lightning Song sounds extremely unfinished because it barely has rising action or a resolve.
I could do without Tension Head and Quick and to the Pointless as well.
>>
>>63746040
Yes, they're good. One of the only good mainstream/alternative rock bands still going. All of their albums are worth listening to for any fan of fun rock music.
>>
>>63756007
I have always been more of a fan of the Homme songs than the Oliveri songs, so I don't mind.
>>
File: skele.jpg (1 MB, 3528x2592) Image search: [Google]
skele.jpg
1 MB, 3528x2592
>>63755649

I was there. They were right for the time but Josh has won the culture war and now those albums are seen in a good light.
>>
>>63756683

I Think I Lost My Headache is one of their best songs, the riff in that song is absolutely gigantic and you need to to rethink your life.
>>
>>63756683
Lost my headache and tension head are the best songs on the album. Lightning song is just a transition song, and it works as one, I think.
>>
>>63756834
>>63756921
Man maybe I do need to give that one another listen.
>>
>>63756932
You know that tension head is a cover of a Mondo Generator (nick oliveris solo project) song?
>>
>>63757006
I didn't. Not too hot on Nick's part of QOTSA, so I never reall followed his side projects.
>>
>>63757028
He did one good solo album, cocaine rodeo. It features several Kyuss members, especially Josh.
>>
Self titled doesn't get enough love.
>>
>>63757294
Mexicola is one sweet fucking groove.
>>
>>63757294
deservedly so t b h senpai
>>
>>63756834
it's great, but the ending is way too long
>>
>>63750227

I'd give it 10 if it wasn't for Killer Scene and Skin on Skin. Middle part of no one's in the wolf boring AF too.

but that album's definitely better than ppl say it is
>>
>>63757650
It's got the best drumming of any qotsa album.
>>
>>63758170

It's an over long, sticatto free jazz outro to an album. Turn it off if you don't like that part.
>>
>>63758170
When I first downloaded that album the up-loader had edited that part out of the song. Like a total fucking loser. Fuck that guy.
>>
File: 91Suf8N+pJL._SL1500_.jpg (285 KB, 1500x1500) Image search: [Google]
91Suf8N+pJL._SL1500_.jpg
285 KB, 1500x1500
What do people think of Them Crooked Vultures? Essentially a beefed up QOTSA album.

Fucking amazing in my opinion, best thing Josh Dave and even John have ever been apart of.
>>
>>63746040
s/t and Songs for the Deaf are great.

Rated R is good.

Era Vulgaris is decent.

Lullabies to Paralyze is mediocre.

I personally hated Like Clockwork because it feels really watered down from their stoner rock stuff, but some people really enjoy it so you should check it out.
>>
>>63759918
we definitely need more of them
>>
>>63759918
>Fucking amazing in my opinion, best thing Josh Dave and even John have ever been apart of.
I'd say that's a bit of an exaggeration, but they are fucking awesome.
>>
>>63746040
def listen to Kyuss
same line up just a different lead singer
way heavier much more jamming
>>
>>63761147
>def listen to Kyuss
Is it just me or are Kyuss literally the best hard rock band ever?
>>
>>63746611
exactly
>>
I personally like Kyuss better, but ...Like Clockwork was a fantastic album that turned me on to QOTSA.
>>
File: 1438800296802.gif (18 KB, 534x640) Image search: [Google]
1438800296802.gif
18 KB, 534x640
>>63761147
>>63761269
>>63762071
Kyuss is God-tier. Just give this a listen. You feel you lose.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcY3UF6_IaM
>>
>>63746040
They're a great band and I would say all their albums are worth checking out. My personal ranking would be:

Rated R > ...Like Clockwork > Lullabies to Paralyze > Songs for the Deaf > Era Vulgaris > QotSA

...Like Clockwork actually didn't click with me until about my third listen though, but it quickly became a favorite.
>>
>>63759918
I wouldn't say it's the best thing any of them have been a part of and it certainly isn't Kyuss or QotSA, but it's still a solid album for sure.
Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.