[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Music theory is 100% necessary for authentically enjoying anything
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: p4k.png (11 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
p4k.png
11 KB, 200x200
Music theory is 100% necessary for authentically enjoying anything deeper than P4Kcore.
>>
huge theory nerd here. this is true shit.
>>
>>63741443
No that's what's p4k is for they're all trained in music theory
>>
What music do you consider to be deeper?
>>
>>63741529
free improvisation, industrial, noise, drone, lowercase
>>
>>63741844
>industrial
So in order to grasp concepts of variance of atonality, pure tone/texture, and acoustic stimuli/tactile sensation you need to have knowledge of music theory?

dude whut

I agree with your sentiment, but this is retarded. Theory matters absolute least in those genres.
>>
>>63741507
>huge shit here. this is true theory nerd
>>
>>63741443
This, I honestly can't enjoy anything past classical after learning music theory, nor would I want to

>>63742200
go away pitchfork drone
>>
>>63742229
niqqa I main like half of those genres eff off.
>>
>>63741844
all of these genres, esp free improv and industrial music, were born out of a distaste for the way music theory had strangled music beforehand
>>
File: 5636.png (148 KB, 297x247) Image search: [Google]
5636.png
148 KB, 297x247
>those old P4k days when the same hipster filth would review a Best Coast album and a Coltrane reissue in the same week and judge them by the same merits in the same review format
>>
>>63742414

Exactly. And you need a deep understanding of the material before you can deconstruct it. No post-modernist or deconstructionist of any kind worth half a started anywhere but from the beginning. Ornette Coleman played the straight blues for years
>>
>>63742490

Most of the Industrial/No Wave/etc. musicians had no training whatsoever - they were fighting the establishment that you needed training to be of worth.

I do agree that historical knowledge is important for appreciating Industrial and related genres to their deepest extent, but saying you need theory to even begin liking it is gonna make Jhonn Balance roll around in his grave.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.