[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
SWANS
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4
File: SWANS DISCOGRAPHY .jpg (1 MB, 1500x1691) Image search: [Google]
SWANS DISCOGRAPHY .jpg
1 MB, 1500x1691
What do you guys think of their discography? What was the strongest streak of albums? Best live album? Best EP? What are your hopes for the next album coming June 17th?
>>
>Listening to a rapist
>>
>>63737509
they're one of the greatest bands of all time 2bh.
>>
>>63737509
over the last month or so ive been going through their discog chronologically. right now i've been listening to white light and burning world

my favorite album so far is probably greed. heaven is fuckin perfect
>>
>>63737546
(You)
>>
>>63737509
LMAO Filth and TMR are my two favorit albums in the WHOLE world XD Such a deep experience :O
LOL I'M SUCH A MUSIC NERD XDDDDDD
>>
>>63737681
Yeah Heaven is brutal. I love that industrial as fuck low end humming going on in the background. The final minute or so is absolutely crazy, it legitimately sounds like some mass cult suicide is about to happen, and they're doing some invocation for god, and then the song has the most abrupt ending ever as if everything just goes to black and is met with nothingness.

Stellar fucking track.
>>
>>63737827
How are you doing, anon? been unhappy lately?
>>
File: Swans How2get.png (2 MB, 2438x1449) Image search: [Google]
Swans How2get.png
2 MB, 2438x1449
obligatory
>>
>>63737989
Honestly I kind of hate flowcharts. I think it's better to listen to an artist's discography chronologically. That way you get a sense of their development. Particularly for a band like fucking Swans.
>>
>>63737989
Does anybody feel like the latest iteration of the band is a lot closer to the no wave era than it is the 90s output?

It's maybe not quite as percussion driven, but that still plays a massive role. There's intense focus on hard hitting repetition, lyrics are very minimal. The No Wave era was Gira punching his way down to hell, and the current era is him trying to ascend into the fucking sky and beyond. Both are equally punishing but the latter is punishing without using overly bleak lyricism and actually embraces the positivity and beauty of life and music and sound.

I love how the two eras sort of mirror each other.
>>
>>63738157
That's good to hear as I'm going through swans stuff chronologically. I'm preferring their no wave stuff to their post-punk stuff right now, so I'm glad to hear that there'll be a return to that type of sound.
>>
>>63738157
well, to me it's kind of a blend of all of their output, including Angels of Light stuff. Heavy percussion, repetition, loudness, minimal lyrics of the 80s. But also cinematic qualities of the 90s. Then stuff like a Piece of the Sky is just a super extended Angels of Light jam
>>
>>63738251
It's very different in sound though, this latest iteration. But they're also similar in a lot of ways. Don't expect it to have that same drained atmosphere that the no wave albums have.

There is a massive arrangement of instruments brought on-board for the current iteration. A huge focus on heavy fucking guitars. So it shares the punishing repetition, but the actual sound is very, very different.

I think you'll enjoy it though.
>>
The more I listen to swans the less I care about their 90s output. SFTB is the exception to the rule, as well Swans are Dead. White Light and Love Of Life just aren't nearly as interesting as their other releases
>>
>>63739825
What do you think about Great annhilator?

>>63738333
That sounds like it'll be fuckin great. Can't wait to get to it.
>>
File: 1454706807357.gif (799 KB, 200x189) Image search: [Google]
1454706807357.gif
799 KB, 200x189
>they have a song called a screw (holy money), a song called a screw, and a song called a screw (holy money) (mix), and these latter two songs were commonly mislabeled
>they have a song called time is money (bastard) on and a song called time is money (bastard) (mix), both of which are both on the time is money (bastard) ep and the cd version of greed, and they also have a different song called time is money (bastard) on the greed / holy money compilation which is actually a shortened version of time is money (bastard) (mix)
>>
Gira get
>>
>>63740755
fuckin labels amirite
>>
File: 1455227166702.jpg (52 KB, 620x670) Image search: [Google]
1455227166702.jpg
52 KB, 620x670
>>63740755
>Ima puke
>>
>>63737509
>June 17th
Source?
>>
>>63740755
It's sucks that the Holy Money (Album) version of A Screw (Holy Money) never got a remaster, that's my favorite out of the bunch. Gira's delivery is so perfect on it.

>Keep your head on the ground
>Keep your head on the ground
>Pu-uussshhh your ass up
>Pu-uuuuusshh your ass up
>>
>>63741104
http://consequenceofsound.net/2016/02/michael-gira-details-swans-valedictory-new-album/

>Currently untitled, the record is set for a June 17th release.
>>
>>63740573
TGA is pretty solid. I know a lot of people love it to death, but that, white light and love of life are the least interesting albums of theirs in my opinion. Although I would call TGA the best of those.

There are some really great songs on it. It lies somwhere in-between the post-rock that would appear on SFTB and the post-punk of white light. Lyrically I much prefer it to the past two, much more memorable songs, Blood Promise, She Lives, Killing For Company are highlights.

Feels darker instrumentally too. We get back some of that heavy percussion and some really great acoustic guitar work and beautiful organs.

Speaking of Soundtracks for the Blind, you're gonna love that one. It is such a powerful record and feels so much more mature than pretty much everything else they were experimenting with in the 90s, from the expansive and tortured post-rock songs, to the disturbing as fuck experimental pieces. It's great, has some of their best material on it.
>>
>>63740755
>They have a song called Money is Flesh and one called Money Is Flesh #2 both of which are very different from one another, Money Is Flesh has never been on any of the remastered compilation albums only Money Is Flesh #2 under the title Money Is Flesh
>>
>>63741873
fuckin excited. I'm so glad I did it this way. I wish I'd done it with other artists as well; there was a thread about how to get into the beatles and one anon said that he listened to all of their albums chronologically, and ending it all with the abbey road medley was one of the best experiences of his life.

>>63741471
>"Ben-Hur coupled with Kursawa's Ran"
dam son
>>
>>63741471
I hope Gira drops a single and the album title and art this month.
>>
>>63738251

It's not really the same

It's kind of like if Mogwai tried to make Filth (at least TBK)
>>
Holy money is so good, I'm a big no wave guy so that public castration and cop have to be my top 3 for swabs
>>
>>63743072
Yeah I see what you're saying, it's just that I don't like their 90s post-punk stuff as much so I'm glad that doesn't continue.

>>63743274
Do you have any no wave recommendations for someone who really likes Greed and Holy Money?
>>
>>63737509
(Almost) all of Swans studio output in it's simplest form without repeats:

Filth / EP
Body To Body, Job To Job
Cop / Young God
Greed (with "Time Is Money (Bastard)" bonus tracks)
Holy Money (with "A Screw" bonus tracks)
Children of God / World of Skin
The Burning World
White Light from the Mouth of Infinity / Love of Life
The Great Annihilator
Die Tur Ist Zu
Soundtracks for the Blind
Various Failures
Forever Burned
My Father Will Guide Me up a Rope to the Sky (with "Look at Me Go" bonus track)
The Seer
To Be Kind
>>
>>63743945
Actually, forget about The Burning World, Forever Burned contains all of it's songs in order. Also, Various Failures can mostly be ignored.
>>
I've been listening through The Seer tonight again

>tfw The Apostate is starting up now

best closer ever made.
>>
>>63744843
Swans have always had great closers. God Damn The Sun was fucking amazing
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.