[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Rock Music Drumming
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 4
File: cover.jpg (32 KB, 477x473) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
32 KB, 477x473
Are there any good rock groups with subpar drumming. I don't even play the drums and I have to say that it is the most important instrument in rock.
>>
tvu
suicide
beat happening
>>
>>63723060
>Suicide
>drumming
>>
>>63723099
that's the point
>>
>>63723060
Maureen Tucker is great though, TVU wouldn't be the same without her ultra repetitive beats, and suicide has a drum machine

>>63723033
OP is correct, great drumming =/= make a great band, because there is more to it than that, but it's pretty hard to have a good rock band without a good drummer.

The exception is probably Pink Floyd, though.
>>
>>63723132
no drumming isn't sub par drumming
>>
>>63723144
>Nick Mason
>not a great drummer

kill yourself
>>
>>63723144
Her drumming is certainly subpar, even she would tell you she wasn't any good. That doesn't mean it wasn't important.
>>
>>63723033
White Stripes/early Black Keys both. Meg's stuff was always really simplistic, and I think Patrick has admitted to not being very confident in his drumming skills on the first couple records (their best as a band tho)
>>
>>63723033
lonerism?
>>
>>63723144
>>63723245
I personallt love both maureen tucker and meg white's simplistic styles, they let the other instruments shine, specially maureen's which are very primitive sounding, but yeah both of them are quie technically easy
>>
>>63723245
Neither of them are very good though, White Stripes had good song writing but they were so limited.
>>
Have a Nice Life ;^}
>>
>>63723033
how the fuck did no one mention lars ulrich yet
>>
>>63723351
I'm not the biggest fan of Black Keys new poppier stuff but their first 3 records were all top-notch blues revivalism.

The lyrics of blues music in general isn't supposed to be very diverse it's just supposed to groove and make you feel the music in your soul, which i think they did very well, especially on Rubber Factory.

I think both these bands made great pure blues-rock music that, though it was made by only two people, still is enjoyable to listen to.
>>
>>63723144
Nick Mason really wasn't a bad or subpar drummer at all.

On their earlier psychedelic material he really lets loose sometimes.
>>
>>63723704
i don't mind him personally, but he's no Jaki Liebezeit
>>
>>63723198
He's nothing amazing. He's good enough for what Pink Floyd do. He had damn near forgot how to drum by the time of the Momentary Lapse sessions. That's why there's that twat dancing behind another set of drums on the Pulse concert DVD.

That being said the rhythmic drumming at the start of Time is god tier. As his drumming on Live at Pompeii.
>>
Deep Purple. Ian Paice is very underrated imo
>>
>>63724643
according to his biography, roger waters had so crushed his self esteem he didn't have the confidence to drum on a lot of those tracks
>>
>>63723527
hes actually good i will honestly never understand this. i really dont like Metallica. hes nothing special but hes not even bad. if it means anything im a drummer so i feel like maybe my opinion has a tiny bit of worth?!?!?
>>
>>63723033
Joy Division
>>
>>63726762
Look up the COMPILATION videos of live moments where he can't even keep a beat.
>>
For drummers it's not about how much skill you have but it's about how much synergy you have with your band.
>>
File: agilebeast.gif (1 MB, 500x219) Image search: [Google]
agilebeast.gif
1 MB, 500x219
Mr. Matthew J. Helders the third on the drums, everybody.
>>
I find the best bands always have the best rythms sections.
It's not essential but it if you compared these two scenarios:

-amazing singing and melodic instruments over sloppy drums and bass

-mediocre singing and sloppy playing over tight and good drums and bass

the latter will probably sound much better.
>>
why are you guys giving him bands with actually decent drumming?

he asked for music with subpar drumming

can't you fuckers read
>>
BEATLES, beatles, beatles, ringo is shit
>>
>>63723033
smashing pumpkins

btw I play drums and I have to say that it isn't. Guitars sounding good and vocals sounding good is much more important. Good drums can make good songs even better, but bad drums are at worst slightly annoying. Bad guitar/vox just means I won't listen to the band
>>
as much as I love fugazi their drums are generally pretty basic.
>>
>>63723033
a band is as good as they drummer is
>>
MBV
Isn't Anything-Era
>>
>>63723060
this desu
>>
the strokes. fab is good but nothing he does is too complex
>>
>>63728538
what the fuck chamberlain was undoubtedly the talented member of pumpkins
>>
Ginger bakers work in cream
>>
Is AC/DC's drummer human or did they program a drum machine back in the 80s and kept it forever?
>>
>>63728578
listen to The Argument, it might be basic but the drumming is on point and usually that's what defines a good drummer
>>
>>63728538
Jimmy chamberlain is known widely as one of the greatest and most revolutionary drummers in rock history. Have you ever listened to the pumpkins or are you just retarded?
>>
>>63723144
If you still think nick mason isn't a good drummer watch live at Pompeii
>>
drums take no fucking skill niggers, most basic fucking instrument. fuck you and your niggy beat machines
>>
The original Oasis drummer was pretty average. Noel gave him the sack.

>>63728538
Is this bait? Chamberlain is probably one of the best drummers of all time. Billy is a talented songwriter and guitarist but I think in terms of playing an instrument Jimmy is much more talented than Billy
>>
>>63728578
Fugazi's rhythm section in general is fucking tight. Complex percussion isn't the same thing as good percussion.
>>
>>63730561
Also, what the fuck did Karate Moot do to 4chan? It looks like a shitty iPhone app and everybody has names.
>>
>>63730594
Karate moot sold 4chan to google Dora
>>
>>63730594
Sold it to Google mate
>>
>>63730721
>>63730743
That doesn't make sense. Why would Google want the chanz?
>>
>>63731193
Datamining. Your IP address, browsing history. Helps them target ads.
>>
File: sun city.jpg (91 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
sun city.jpg
91 KB, 500x500
Pretty objectively shit technical ability, but it suits the music perfectly
>>
>>63728538

Chamberlain is a monstrous drummer, easily one of the most talented rock drummers from that era, a classically trained jazz drummer.
>>
>>63730594
I kinda like how it just makes up a name for you.
>>
>>63726762
He WAS good. Now he's a complete wreck
>>
Infant Annihilator is really as impressive as you're going to get with drumming if you can stand the fact that they're not so much rock, but heavy metal. Should try out cunt crusher by them though. Probably the most impressive drumming I've ever heard
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.