[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
'Indie' Music
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 111
Thread images: 5
File: image.jpg (71 KB, 699x408) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
71 KB, 699x408
What do you define as "indie", /mu/?
>>
"indie" is such a broad ass term it pisses me off when people say they listen to "indie".

Indie by definition means "independent" music from labels like 4AD and shit, but even now I don't think thats really independent considering their releases get a ton of airtime on top 40.

Indie is so watered down now its incredible. Its completely commercialized now and thats just sad.
>>
>>63720100
independent
>>
>>63720100
i use it derogatorily to describe slightly lesser known alt-rock bands i don't like while i try to stick any other label that applies to slightly lesser known alt-rock bands that i like
>>
>>63720100
i fucking despise the term "indie"
>>
>>63720150
thanks for the history lesson you faggot

Go listen to Sufjan, I hear he's pretty "indie"
>>
>>63720100
I want to put my weiner "indi" your butthole Giselle
>>
I always thought it meant "music with lower production values that is published under a label that is not an industry giant."

Nowadays, it means "kind of quirky music that doesn't make the Top 40."
>>
>>63720150
This is the best post I've seen from you out of what I've seen you say so far.
>>
>>63720147
out of all the trips you get montie

at least it's not unty
>>
Does it not mean "not signed to a label/signed to own label"?
>>
>>63720100
I'm kind of retarded so I just define it as stuff that gives me the same feel as modest mouse or built to spill.
Kind of just making the music they want to within a certain sound stereotype there of acoustic/subtly angst-ridden bands.
>>
>>63720100
Indie is a word used to describe a genre of pop music that is marketed to college hipsters instead of clubgoers
>>
>>63720228
Sufjan Stevens is actually good though and has some good music that he writes from the heart.
Most of these supposed "indie" bands get handed shit from their producers and are expected to become the next buzzband to hit top 40 for a week or two, get covered by a pretty girl on youtube, and walk away with a decent amount of cash so the record company can bring in another band and do the exact same thing over again.

Meanwhile the first band releases a 2nd album and it gets absolutely no attention.
There are plenty of examples of this.
>>
>>63720147
rolling for "holy shit you're a vapid cunt"
>>
Say Adele is fat and can't make music fuck off
>>
>People bitching about "indie" label because hurf durf it's not TECHNICALLY IDENEPENDNET RECORD LABEL CHECKMATE NORMIES

Jesus you people are insufferable

The labels are there to identify a certain type of sound, even if they don't make enough sense they serve their necessary purpose and that's all that matters

You people like to bitch about names like "indie rock" and "post-rock" and whatever but imagine if we didn't have those and you just had bands like Godspeed, NMH and Led Zeppelin all smashed together in a single genre
>>
>>63720147
"lmao you listen to Adele? Don't you know she's fat?"
>>
>>63720100
I think theres a certain laziness in indie rock and pop. they are distinct genres that have there own sound, and aren't a generic label to describe the conditions that an album is released into. I think indie lyrics are more abstract, not in a pretencious artistic way, just more subtle and poetic.
>>
if it sounds like shit, it's probably indie.
>>
>>63720147
Tell her you respect her music choices, and you hope she has a good and fufilling life
>>
>>63720147
tell her you just got diagnosed with Hepatitis C and you're freaking out
>>
>>63720147
tell her your favorite artist is Merzbow and you think she'd really like him
>>
My favorite type of music is hentai soundtracks.
>>
>>63720432
Reroll
>>
>>63720147
tell her you think Adele is a poor man's Amy Whinehouse
>>
>>63720341
I used to get so annoyed at people who got anal about "emo" and were like HURR IT'S ABOUT 90'S EMOTIONAL HARDCORE GUYS"

and i was always thinking in my head ok gj on being some queer on urbandictionary or wikipedia.
but then as I discovered more 1st and 2nd wave emo I think I kind of got what they mean.

But for indie I guess it's a different story.
>>
if you read hipster runoff back in the day - you would know exactly what is meant by the descriptor 'indie'.
>>
>>63720147
ya ever succ'd a fat cock while listening to neutral milk hotel on vinyl, you slut?
>>
>>63720301
>>63720326
>>63720351
>>63720395
>>63720432
>>63720502
Professional /b/ "trips decides how I respond" posters unite
>>
>>63720470
lol you probably like pop punk
>>
music that is indie
>>
>>63720432
rerol
>>
>>63720432
rolling for this
>>
>>63720147
The only indie band I like is the Beatles
>>
>>63720100
like The Shins and shit like that
>>
>>63720100
Truly independent music= Terroristic Sonorities free from the grasp of the culture industry. If it existed, they would make it illegal. Pro-ISIS autotune nasheeds and white power harsh noise are the closest we can get now. everything else is commodified bullshit
>>
>>63720351
lel rolling
>>
>>63720150
Indie is more of a sonic blue print or blanet term now, it's kinda like ALT or Rock but not rough a kind of sound. It's very broad but it's very much a sound or something that you can pin down in your head.
>>
>>63720432
roll
>>
>>63720147
I enjoy the album Trout Mask Replica over all others
>>
>>63720534
I mean, I don't hate it.
But it's not something I regularly listen to.
>>
>>63720668
Rolling for TMR
>>
send her a picture of your music library Op
>>
rec her geyser bastion
>>
http://rateyourmusic.com/customchart?page=1&vif=3fie&chart_type=top&type=album&year=alltime&genre_include=1&include_child_genres=1&genres=indie+rock&include_child_genres_chk=1&include=both&origin_countries=&limit=none&countries=

Look at the top 20 bands under "indie rock."

You have post-punk, noise rock, post-hardcore, chamber pop, alt-rock, folk, garage rock, lo-fi, and slowcore. It's a pretty damn vague term, almost meaningless nowadays.
>>
>>63720351
rolling for this
>>
I like Swans if you know what I mean ;)
>>
>>63720668
>>63720326

Rolling for these.
>>
>>63720351
roll
>>
>>63720947
This might just be the indiest thing ever omg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKJA0kSPAYI
>>
>>63720901
reroll
>>
>>63720147

Oh I don't listen to that trash, I myself am consider myself an intelectual and diverge in classical and jazz peaces mostly
>>
>>63720847
roll
>>
>>63720147
>>63720100

I like your taste in music.. maybe you should let me taste you too
>>
>>63720901
re
>>
File: folder.jpg (3 MB, 3000x3000) Image search: [Google]
folder.jpg
3 MB, 3000x3000
Car Seat Headrest - Teens of Denial (2016) [320]
>lo-fi indie, indie rock, singer/songwriter

Sample: https://youtu.be/bEsItsZphwQ

Link: https://mega.nz/#!85AiQB7a!CzTsMz4TlWlp9RnYYdhukeahYmjRucyk7Ma__qF1oc8
>>
>>63721002
>>63721002
>>63721002
>>
>>63721024
lmao this guy
>>
>>63721002
rolling 4 this
>>
>>63720668
Rolling
>>
>>63720147

On a scale from 1 to 10, how likely is it you'll let me feel that pussy?
>>
fuck shit nigger dick
>>
Indie is pretty much meaningless
also
"You should listen to Merzbow, there sort of like an emo-y, indie sort of band that focuses a lot on emotions or than lust and shit"
>>
Rolling for this.
>>
i actually have a close relationship with my owned fuck off the housing market before the crash his own father he was an catering busness after culinary school driver,, then opened his did he leave a fucking loser in general?

you or was he just own works as sous chef in the back of the house.restaurant

he's retiring soon, but he still he's working on a book about the indy race car kitchen though

and he got rich as your pathetic father?

what about

oh yeah
>>
>>63720301
I got trips today, let's see if I can roll for this
>>
>>63720301
>>63720301
>>63720301
>>
...I'm in love with you Giselle.
Damn it feels good to get that off my chest. Felt like that for a very long time now
>>
>>63720100
If I get trips it will be

"Show me those indie tits girl"
>>
>>63721117
Roll
>>
>>63720432
roll
>>
>>63720351
roll
>>
>>63721221
roll
>>
>>63720432
roll
>>
>>63720100
Sit on my face
>>
True Satanic Black Metal are bands such as Darkthrone, Aryan Satankampf, Graveland, the Gestapo 666, Satanic Warmaster, Beherit and Impaled Nazarene. You can listen to Metallica if you want, but you do not understand anything about the real Hitleric Nazi Black Metal. You are just a poser and you can fuck off the whole scene. Black Metal is real music, not intended for animals like you, but the real Satanic Misanthropists who do not care about people like you dampers.

Black Metal is music for the elite and you do not understand it. None of you understand the real Satanism. You ridiculous little kids. Our worldview is based on Wotanic Hitlerism, on a personal level satanic individualism, collective level Hitleric Fascism. Without an understanding of theoretical occultism, it is useless to dream of understanding the Wotanic worldview. None of you can understand Wotanism, for you are all intellectually earthworms. You can not reach the elite level of Satanism, so why even dream about it. Satanism and Black Metal are for the elite. For real misanthropists.
>>
File: damson.jpg (65 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
damson.jpg
65 KB, 640x640
>>63721221
>>63721223
>>
>>63720668
Absolut roll
>>
>>63720432
Rollan for this guy
>>
>>63720432
Rolling in the deep
>>
>>63720150
the new /trip/ general
hello friendos

more seriously, indie is all right. theres some stuff thats pretty decent under the generic title of "indie."

personally, I dont use the term. way too vague for me
>>
You say Soulja Boy-I say Darkthrone
You say Miley Cyrus-I say Burzum
You say T-Pain-I say Gorgoroth
You say Flowers-I say Emperor
You say Pink-I say Taake
You say Hip Hop-I say metal
You say Pop-I scream BLACK METAL!!!
You say Hannah montana-i burn down your church
92% of teenagers have turned to Hip Hop and Pop. If you are part of the 8% that still listen to trve music,copy and paste this message to another 5 videos.
DON'T LET THE SPIRIT OF SATAN DIE
>>
>>63720668
>>63721277
Reroll
>>
>>63721221
roll
>>
>>63720351
dis
>>
That's fucking it. I'm fucking sick of your retarded, ugly-ass, stupid fucking cat. Your cat looks like it got cleaved in the face with a machete at birth, it's so fucking ugly. Every time I see that dumb cunts wide face all I feel is a pure seething hatred for you and that ball of retarded piss and fur. If I ever see you or that fucking cat in real life I'm going to kill myself right then and there on the spot because killing you wouldn't satiate the rage I feel from that dumb, stupid, ugly, piece of shit, retarded, fat-ass fucking shitcat. Fuck you, and fuck that fucking cat.
>>
>>63720668
First thing I do when I wake up is listen to TMR. Then I have breakfast, soybeans of course. After I eat I have my shower where I listen to Trout Mask Replica again. As a cleanser, I like to go for a run where I typically listen to a lighter album like Safe As Milk or even Bongo Fury. When I get back it's lunch time and I'll listen to Trout Mask Replica while I mash my soybeans. While I eat I like to enjoy a nice documentary, specifically one about Captain Beefheart. Following that extended screen time I like to keep my mind sharp with some reading. So I'll read and interpret the lyrics to Trout Mask Replica, of course I have the album playing in the background so I'm 100% focused. By now my day is going pretty good and I usually want to share it with somebody else. So I'll call up some friends to hang out. We like to play basketball, play tabletop RPGS and watch movies together but mostly we listen to Trout Mask Replica. After we all listen to the album together in our listening circle we head back to my place for dinner where I serve up a mean soybean. Just for the sake of ambiance, I'll play Trout Mask Replica in the background. Dinner conversation tends to be lively as we each share our favorite moments from Trout Mask Replica. My friends go home after this and while it was fun, it's time to prepare for another big day tomorrow. I'm only human so pardon me if this is graphic but I do enjoy a bit of masturbation before I sleep. I'm not really adventurous, I masturbate to vanilla, lesbian sex and oral but mostly just the cover art of Trout Mask Replica. Following that I clean myself up and unwind with a bit of music; Trout Mask Replica being my favorite. That's when I hop into the shower for a brief and relaxing warmth, I'm pretty clean by now I just want to ease up my muscles. Then it's time for bed. Being something of an audiophile I like to listen to music while I sleep. After I hit play to start up the song "Frownland" I drift to sleep.
>>
>>63720523
i'm learning that the way that everyone sees 4chan, essentially just as /b/, is pretty much on the mark. it's kinda sad, but i should've known a long time ago, really
>>
haha wow, good post. you got a steam? id love to talk to you more. No reason why really you just seem like a really interesting person haha. we could play some games too if youre into that but would be down just to talk to lol. got a coulple steam games just sitting in my inventory unused and you could have them if you want haha.. no big deal really i wasnt doing anything with them any way.. youd be doing me a favor taking them.. got natural selection 2.. magica.. arma 3.. really i dont even care about them please take them from me haha.. but really you seem like one of the few cool people who actually come to this site and id love to talk to u so whats your steam please? lol

>>
what the fuck did you say to me you little bitch
>>
>>63720147
The fact that so many books still name the Beatles as "the greatest or most significant or most influential" rock band ever only tells you how far rock music still is from becoming a serious art. Jazz critics have long recognized that the greatest jazz musicians of all times are Duke Ellington and John Coltrane, who were not the most famous or richest or best sellers of their times, let alone of all times. Classical critics rank the highly controversial Beethoven over classical musicians who were highly popular in courts around Europe. Rock critics are still blinded by commercial success. The Beatles sold more than anyone else (not true, by the way), therefore they must have been the greatest. Jazz critics grow up listening to a lot of jazz music of the past, classical critics grow up listening to a lot of classical music of the past. Rock critics are often totally ignorant of the rock music of the past, they barely know the best sellers. No wonder they will think that the Beatles did anything worthy of being saved.
>>
Swans exist within a cloud of hyperbole, from the maximized minimalism of their savage beats and the extreme unrest of their barked lyrics to the escalating gauntlet of their album covers and their blooming disregard of industry standards. To summarize, Soundtracks For The Blind-- a record ostensibly paid for by a label owned by one of the craziest men in the world but released for free on the Internet-- features an erect penis inked with the title in sloppy Sharpie script on its cover. One of its most undeniable hooks reads, "Does everyone know, that you, are more fucked up than me?" Everything about this band seems extreme.
>>
>>63720432
rollerooo
>>
süc my coq bb
>>
>>63721331
Roll
>>
>>63721381
re rollan
>>
>>63720147
Rolling for this
>>63720231
>>
>>63720432
Roll
>>
Fresh off the boat, from reddit, kid? heh I remember when I was just like you. Braindead. Lemme give you a tip so you can make it in this cyber sanctuary: never make jokes like that. You got no reputation here, you got no name, you got jackshit here. It's survival of the fittest and you ain't gonna survive long on 4chan by saying stupid jokes that your little hugbox cuntsucking reddit friends would upboat. None of that here. You don't upboat. You don't downboat. This ain't reddit, kid. This is 4chan. We have REAL intellectual discussion, something I don't think you're all that familiar with. You don't like it, you can hit the bricks on over to imgur, you daily show watching son of a bitch. I hope you don't tho. I hope you stay here and learn our ways. Things are different here, unlike any other place that the light of internet pop culture reaches. You can be anything here. Me ? heh, I'm a judge.. this place.... this place has a lot to offer... heh you'll see, kid . . . that is if you can handle it..
>>
>>63720351
trips
>>
>>63721444
WINRAR
>>
>>63721444
wew
>>
what are some indie songs about butts
>>
>>63721444
WINRAR
>>
>>63721381
>>63721444

For fuck's sake.

DO IT OP
>>
File: 1435709123683.gif (2 MB, 500x402) Image search: [Google]
1435709123683.gif
2 MB, 500x402
>>63721444
Winner winner chicken dinner.

Deliver, OP
>>
bump for OP to deliver
>>
File: image.jpg (168 KB, 701x768) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
168 KB, 701x768
OP here,

Unfortunately she went to bed a while ago, but she will see it in the morning. I will create a followup thread for results tomorrow morning, around 8:00 AM CT, if you want me to
>>
>>63721628

>g'night

shiggy diggy lad
>>
>>63721628
I'm honestly quite relieved it wasn't the hentai one or the "sit on my face"

I'm not interested in dating, btw, but she seems rather friendly(it will be difficult to let her know...)
Thread replies: 111
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.