[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What bands should I listen to if I want to get into prog rock?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5
File: inthecourtofthecrimsonking.jpg (393 KB, 1500x1489) Image search: [Google]
inthecourtofthecrimsonking.jpg
393 KB, 1500x1489
What bands should I listen to if I want to get into prog rock? I have casually listened to some Jeff Beck, King Crimson, and Emerson Lake and Palmer, but I want more. Maybe something that's not 100% prog rock, somewhere I can start that won't leave me with a sense of "what is this shit".

Help me, /mu/.
>>
>>63719875
Porcupine Tree and Tool are what most people started with if you want something modern

From classics I'd start with Genesis or Yes

You can check top albums on Progarchives
>>
File: PA top.jpg (1 MB, 1485x1455) Image search: [Google]
PA top.jpg
1 MB, 1485x1455
>>63719875
Forgot pic
>>
>>63719875
Yes (Fragile, Close to the Edge, The Yes Album)
Jethro Tull (Aqualung, Thick as a Brick)
Genesis (Selling England By the Pound, Foxtrot, Trick of the Tail)
>>
>>63719945
Really good pic. but seriously lacks Devin Townsend. Start with ocean machine biomech then go addicted! for lighter and deconstruction for heavier.
>>
Frank Zappa's live stuff
>>
Caress of steel(RUSH)
Yes
>>
King Crimson up until Discipline
Yes up until Relayer
Genesis up until Duke
Pink Floyd up until Animals
>>
>>63719875
anything past 1985 peaks at okay-tier.
Try Van der Graaf Generator, and 666 by Aphrodite's Child
>>
De-loused in the Comatorium by the mars volta is pretty sick--maybe not the proggiest album, but it definitely has the sprawling prog vibe in places, and the volta's later stuff is even more dense (in a prog sort of way--note that more dense doesn't mean better)
>>
Yes
Van Der Graaf Generator
Gong
Genesis
Jethro Tull
Pink Floyd
Mahavishnu Orchestra
Mike Oldfield
Vangelis
Camel
Rush
Gentle Ginat
Max Webster
Marillion
Spock's Beard
Le Orme
Supertramp
Opeth
Animals As Leaders
Dream Theater
>>
Magma, Gentle Giant and Cardiacs
>>
Why is krautrock never considered in the same vein as prog rock?
>>
File: cover-marchofghosts2.jpg (2 MB, 1400x1400) Image search: [Google]
cover-marchofghosts2.jpg
2 MB, 1400x1400
>>63719875
gazpacho is best modern prog im.o tb.h
>>63719946
>>63719917
>>63722436
>>63722784
these are right too
>>
>>63719875

Amon Duul II's first three albums, particularly Yeti.
>>
File: thick-as-a-brick.jpg (90 KB, 580x372) Image search: [Google]
thick-as-a-brick.jpg
90 KB, 580x372
Get stoned and listen to Thick as a Brick all the way through.
>>
>>63719946
Yes and Jethro Tull are the easiest places to start since they're still mostly rock based.
>>
File: I Like This.gif (220 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
I Like This.gif
220 KB, 250x250
>>63723708
Fuck it, everytime you post its always that album thats attached to it and i'm finally giving it another listen and I see why you shill it so much
>that ending to Mary Celeste
>>
>>63725127
thanks for noticing me senpai, just trying to shill what needs to be heard :)
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.