[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Modern music would be much better of if rock just never happened.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 3
File: Cassie.jpg (69 KB, 700x669) Image search: [Google]
Cassie.jpg
69 KB, 700x669
Modern music would be much better of if rock just never happened.

True or false?
>>
Don't quite see how mate. Most music since at least the 1980s has been influenced quite heavily by "rock" in some way.

Not to mention that's a fucking ridiculous question to answer, as the removing of an entire supergenre from history makes it impossible to imagine what would take its place.
>>
File: Cassie.jpg (44 KB, 400x550) Image search: [Google]
Cassie.jpg
44 KB, 400x550
>>63712680
Everything would be the same except none of the gazillion rock sub, sub, subgenres.

There is no non-rock music that wouldn't exist if rock never happened.
>>
>>63712617
>>63712709
What was the point of "Pure"

What was the message it tried to tell, what did that two parter give me and was it intended to do that?

I don't think I understood it, was it just shit?
>>
>look mom I posted it again xD
>>
>>63712617

it'd just be different
>>
>>63712793
never watched it desu, didn't want my memories ruined
>>
>>63712709
>Everything would be the same except none of the gazillion rock sub, sub, subgenres.

Except that makes no sense.

What happens to pop music that features rock-style guitars? What happens to hip hop that samples rock songs? What happens to the vast majority of music that features guitars in the modern day, which is all rock-influenced even if it is not strictly rock music?

What you're telling me to imagine is an impossibility.
>>
>>63712914
Hip hop mostly sampled funk and jazz, nothing changed.

>guitars are rock instruments
lol
>>
>>63712617
World would be much better if OP was never born
>>
If your parents didn't bone at that Toto concert, you wouldn't even exist.

You can't go back and kill Hitler!
>>
>>63712931
>Hip hop mostly sampled funk and jazz, nothing changed

Yes, in the majority. But I'm asking you what happens to the hip hop songs that do sample rock songs. Are they erased from existence? Does the sample disappear from the song and is replaced by something from funk/jazz?

And no, I'm not saying guitars are only rock instruments. I'm saying that, because of the massive influence of "rock music" in general, most people who use guitars in music today are using them in a rock style. Therefore if you erase rock music without changing any other genres, you still have pop/hip hop/electronic tracks that utilise some guitars in a rock-like fashion.
>>
>>63712914
Rhythm and blues provided the backbone for all your geetah music, including rock. And all your samples, your Jamaican music and then hip hop and Brit dance music.
>>
>>63712996
>Yes, in the majority. But I'm asking you what happens to the hip hop songs that do sample rock songs.
A few songs don't exist, no big thing.

>Are they erased from existence? Does the sample disappear from the song and is replaced by something from funk/jazz?
Well obviously as they wouldn't be using rock

> I'm saying that, because of the massive influence of "rock music" in general, most people who use guitars in music today are using them in a rock style.
(not true by the way)

> Therefore if you erase rock music without changing any other genres, you still have pop/hip hop/electronic tracks that utilise some guitars in a rock-like fashion.
You mean rhythm and blues fashion.

None of your points change the landscape of music today outside rock except for those few songs that were influenced by rock, not the genres.
>>
>>63712617
It'd just be different. Some things would stay the same others wouldn't have even happened. I don't really like rock but it's had a huge influence on a lot of the bands I like so I still appreciate it.
>>
Because genre distinctions aren't largely arbitrary, their domains and streams discrete and nonoverlapping?

These what-ifs are so inane. Go write an asinine thesis for a music history department. The rest of us will remain in reality.
>>
>>63713235
>>63712709
>>
>>63712617
False, without rock we wouldn't have had punk.
Without punk we wouldn't have had one of the strongest challenges to the system in the modern age.
>>
File: lol punk.gif (999 KB, 500x250) Image search: [Google]
lol punk.gif
999 KB, 500x250
>>63713322
> without rock we wouldn't have had punk.
Punk is just another ruck subgenre.

>muh green spiky hair
Every generation has had their edgy movement
>>
>>63712617
Rock music is inevitable, it's just a matter of semantics. I don't know how to explain it, so I won't try.
>>
>>63713392
You mean the white man would steal everything from the black man so taking rhythm and blues / rock n' roll and calling it theirs was inevitable? Guess so.
>>
>>63713322
>Without punk we wouldn't have had one of the strongest challenges to the system in the modern age.

>he's actually this delusional

>>63713251
You can't even separate popular music developments from non-musical historical events. The changes would branch off and grow exponentially over the span of time from the start of rock (assuming—naively—that there's a distinct beginning) to now. We wouldn't even be talking about music at all at a certain point, but causal connections and interplay among completely far-flung, impossible-to-conceive-of events and points.

So, OK. Nice claim.
>>
>>63713441
Remove rock from history, everything else still exists in one form or another, probably more advanced after not wasting 40 years (except the other 800 meaningless rock subgneres).
>>
>>63713422
Brilliant jab, comrade! You're one of the acceptable ones.
>>
Music's resonance with youth culture can be linked with rock more readily than any of genre. IMO the implication that youth culture is bad for music is...completely accurate. They're vacuous, petty, and boring to be around. They never dance or move which is bizarre to me.

They ruin bars too. I honestly think the drinking (and driving) age limits are less about safety and more about keeping those shit bag from ruining adult fun.
>>
>>63713476
>Remove rock from history, everything else still exists in one form or another

The couple that met serendipitously and bonded over Rubber Soul, parlaying that encounter into a family, children who otherwise wouldn't exist

Yeah, sure

>>63713503
Who is 'they'? Youths never dance?
>>
>>63713571
Would have met serendipitously and bonded over Innervisions, parlaying that encounter into a family instead.
>>
The second summer of love starting in '88 was the most important era in modern European music culture as it took the American based house and techno and fused it with European attitudes, prowess and compositional excellence to forefront the run of the music that followed on through the rave era, the 90s progression of techno, house, and of course breakbeat hardcore, jungle and all the genres and fusions that followed

Dance music of the 1990s largely rejected the simple, jovial, hedonistic approach to body movement that had ruled since James Brown invented funk music in the 1960s. Disco, techno and house had simply imported new technologies (both for rhythm and arrangements) into the paradigm of funk. The 1990s continued that process, one of the most important ideas to come out of Britain was jungle or drum & bass, a syncopated, polyrhythmic and frantic variant of house, a fusion of hip-hop and techno that relied on extremely fast drum-machines, epileptic breakbeats and huge bass lines.

Few genres of popular music underwent so many changes and reached such ambitious heights as jungle did. Within a few years, jungle musicians were already composing abstract and ambient pieces, integrating breakbeats with pop vocals, adopting jazz improvisation Thanks to ever more intricate beats and to free structures borrowed from jazz, jungle music rapidly became the foundation for a new kind of avantgarde music, pursued by the most austere of the genre's visionaries

It both cemented the death of and proved without doubt that outside of America, the dark ages of rock were dead and merely a passing fad and the progression of funk, soul and rhythm and blues, and via proxy, the music of Jamaica and the influence of hip hop on dance music and indeed hip hop itself showed that electronic music was the natural progression and the rock of the 60s and 70s was a waste of time and a step backwards in music progression.
>>
folk = folk
hip hop = R&B and mento/calypso (Jamaican music)
house = R&B and disco
techno = early electronic music and funk
jungle = hip hop and Jamaican music
funk = funk/r&b
soul = funk/r&b
jazz = jazz

fuck, even rock came from r&b / jazz
>>
>>63713596
Okay. I don't agree with your quasi-religious (certainly unfalsifiable) premises (which is all you're really 'arguing'), so it's a moot point.
>>
>>63713637
>rock music – passing fad
>rave music – somehow seminal, revolutionary, not a passing fad

Whig historiography is for self-exalting buffoons
>>
>>63712793
It was just a comfy slice of life about how is Cassie´s life going. Dont look for a deeper meaning , just enjoy.
>>
>>63712617
hey op, i don't really care about your statement, but if you keep posting this thread, please use more pictures of cassie, i would appreciate that
>>
>>63712709
Why do we let people who know nothing about music post on our board? I bet you think jazz and rap are completely unrelated.
>>
Nice b8 m8, 4/8 because you made me reply. Try this out, find your favorite modern music group (I'm sure it's obscure you little qt) and try to determine the bands the influenced that band, and then the bands that influenced those bands. If rock doesn't appear at all, let me know.
>>
>>63712617
I fell in love with her on skins.
>>
>>63712793
They wanted to cap off the series by bringing back fan favorites. Like, closing with the characters that the fans liked the most from the series.

The take-away from Pure itself... uh, is just that she grew up. It was just showing a young girl adrift in her life and trying to figure out what she's going to do with her life and dealing with her crazy dad and crazy stalker bf and the whole modeling thing. Just growing up and dealing with bullshit.

Having said that, I was a little disappointed with it. I get that people change (especially in young adulthood), but the character presented to us in Pure didn't quite feel like S1+2 Cassie grown up. It kinda felt like a different character.

But consistency of characterization was always the show's weakest point. They couldn't even keep the characters' storylines together from season to the next, let alone several years down the line.
>>
>>63712617

Rock is only good when it's fused with other genres. Rock on its own is just terrible.
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.