[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Recently made a thread discussing why /mu/ hates new alternative
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 2
File: kjl;.jpg (38 KB, 300x270) Image search: [Google]
kjl;.jpg
38 KB, 300x270
Recently made a thread discussing why /mu/ hates new alternative music

(such as The Black Keys, Arctic Monkeys, Alabama Shakes, and Cage the Elephant)

But I would also like to hear if any of /mu/ thinks they're good and why
>>
>>63711398
Theyre all shit entry level alternative music for teenagers and girls
>>
>>63711398
Everyone of those bands makes bland and shitty pop music marketed towards retards who fall for marketing buzzwords like "indie" and "alternative".

It's a shame that bands like Sonic Youth and MBV get labeled as " alternative" because they actually made engaging and unique music that doesn't need to be marketed with shity labels just to appeal to mouth breathing retards.
>>
>>63711398
cause the bands you posted are mostly boring.
>>
Alabama Shakes are nowhere near as bland and uninspired as the other three. They're nothing boundary pushing at all, but I understand why their fans exist.
>>
>>63711521
You could say that about every single label that is ascribed to music. It doesn't cheapen the quality of Sonic Youth to be in the same category as the Arctic Monkeys, but instead proves that the medium is not the issue when it comes to a bland sound.
>>
what the hell does alternative music even mean?
>>
I like Alabama Shakes and Arctic Monkeys, not my faves or anything but they're good. Black Keys are whatever and Cage the Elephant is shit.
>>
>>63711521
>It's a shame that bands like Sonic Youth and MBV get labeled as " alternative" because they actually made engaging and unique music that doesn't need to be marketed with shity labels just to appeal to mouth breathing retards.

What's with all the vitriol? No need to call people "mouth breathing retards" because they enjoy popular music, friend.

I enjoy the bands listed in the OP. I also enjoy MBV and Sonic Youth. I don't think the distinction between them is too massive, though of course the bands don't sound alike.

The general point of "alternative music" has always been to make songs which are effectively pop songs (strong melodies and hooks) but with more non-conventional sounds. That can apply to some of Sonic Youth and MBV just as it does to the Arctic Monkeys, for instance.

Not all music needs to be experimental. A finely crafted pop rock song is still worth artistic respect.
>>
>>63711398

>cage the elephant
>new

ok bro
>>
ITT: Non-musicians judging the complexity of music when half the music meme'd here is less complex but disguised using novel instruments and vocal styles.

Knowing how music works on this board is suffering.
>>
Cage the elephant needs to be observed live

10/10 performers
they embody what made pearl jam great in the 90s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kh9drHNiqkE
>>
File: 1456281261743.jpg (109 KB, 350x440) Image search: [Google]
1456281261743.jpg
109 KB, 350x440
>>63711398
>people rip on those bands but praise shit like young thug and taylor swift unironically
what happened to this place?
>>
>>63712091
Contrarianism.

/mu/ likes to hate mainstream rock music because it's loved by places like Reddit. As a "backlash", /mu/ is now praising mainstream pop/hip hop/EDM because it is hated by places like Reddit.

I say this as someone who enjoys mainstream music from all genres.
>>
>>63711835
OP here
I love all these bands just as a side note
(and I also share a wide music taste with most of /mu/ so am not biased to "shitty music" by any means)

But Cage the Elephant recently released an album (produced by Dan Auerbach of the Black Keys) which fits this category

Same goes for the Arctic Monkeys they used to have a post-punk sound but their newest album fits the categories that all these other bands now fall into
>>
>>63711810

also this!
well put
>>
>>63711890
I'm actually a pretty well rounded musician and know they're not very complex (same as anyone who has ears) but who tf says they need X amount of complexity to be enjoyed by anyone?

that's just music elitism at its core, elitist fren
>>
>>63711985
saw them live last summer it was GOAT
>>
>>63711985
live shows are great forsure, i enjoyed their s/t as an album also
>>
>>63711398

in general i just find it extremely bland i don't hate it but it doesn't elicit any response

i see bands that sound similar to these at various open mics/bars/small shows and i don't really see what sets them apart

i mean good for them and their success i wish them no ill will
>>
>>63711398
None of those bands are real alternative sounds. They are all heard on the radio and are pop rock. I personally like Cage the Elephants first three albums, Artic Monkeys first two albums, and the Black Keys besides Turn Blue. I wouldn't for the life of my call any of the bands you mentioned alternative. They aren't at all original, and are just slightly edgier versions of the poppy rock of the 2000's
>>
Early arctic monkeys were good

AM had a few catchy songs and are good to learn if you need to get some pussy

The black keys are ok
A few catchy songs but that's really it
>>
>>63712330
This, its funny how there's almost as much contrarian circlejerking here as their is on reddit
>>
>>63712817
I love CTE, but their last album was largely shitty pop rock with their punk/blues ruck/alternative influences barely coming through
>>
>>63711810
this post alone is better than 99% of this board
>>
i really really like arctic monkeys and AM is probably my second favourite
>>
>>63711985
Also saw them live a few years ago. Highlights include crowdsurfing and also standing on top of the crowd. Was very entertaining
>>
>>63715861
AM is fuckling greatttttt desu. Some of the best stuff they've done and I'm alson a huge fan of their earlier albums.

and
>>63714696
I'm totally aware of this but that's what they're all referred and it's an easy way to categorize the sound they're all going for
"new alternative"
indie alternative? idfk but you guys all got what I meant

Also, AM is one of the simplest Arctic Monkeys albums ever made. Not very complex at all but very appreciable.
>>
New alternative music is just so bland compared to everything before it and the music industry has commercialized on it knowing younger generations are starting to like it more and more.
Also alt is being influenced by shitty EDM now and that makes it even worse.
Garage Rock revival is also a worn concept
>>
>>63716215
One response in the last thread was just "it's music for plebs... it just is" let me add
>>
>>63716242
Just because something has been done before doesn't mean it's a worn concept. It's really hard to come up with something new but there's definitely exceptions for bands that manage to pull off a revival of a genre and it's admirable just to know they're doing that
(no bands in particular although i'm sure we can come up with some)
>>
>>63716242
>"They'll say it's all been done and its all been said"
>>
>>63711398
I like Cage the Elephant and Black Keys now and then but listening to alternative rock radio stations makes me want to shoot myself.
>>
>>63717153
Nah man I totally agree
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.