[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Better than loveless
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3
File: a2574521960_10.jpg (590 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
a2574521960_10.jpg
590 KB, 1200x1200
Better than loveless
>>
>>63708516
it's not so hard to be better than loveless

pic related
>>
>>63708516
I enjoy it more than Loveless, but not as much as mbv.
>>
>>63708558
I'm just getting into shoegaze/dream pop and I was told that loveless is pretty much the epitome of the genre
>>
>>63708619
Well, it is, but that doesn't mean it has to be your favorite. It's hugely critically acclaimed and it pretty much defined the genre. It didn't start the genre, but it really solidified what it was and set the standard for bands that came after. Almost everybody after who made a shoegaze dream pop album owed something to Loveless. It's influence wouldn't only really be disputed by contrarians on a site like /mu/.

But, again, that doesn't mean you have to love it. I like it, but it's not my favorite shoegaze album at all.
>>
>>63708619
It's the defining statement of the genre and definitely one of the best, if not the very best. I think most people will find something they enjoy more than Loveless as they dig deeper into the genre, but that doesn't mean Loveless isn't an absolute classic.
>>
>>63708683
>>63708688
Reasonable, measured opinions on /mu/? What the actual fuck?
>>
>>63708683
>>63708688
This makes sense. Thank you for clarifying
>>
>>63708737
ikr I was expecting to get shat on
>>
Apples and oranges, motherfucker.
>>
>>63708558
Uhm no. Loveless is untouchable. Pic related borrows heavily from MBV's earlier sound.
>>
Pygmalion > Loveless
>>
>>63708516
the songwriting is okay

but it's digitally overcompressed in the most ugly way

even worse possibly after the fact. like literally just cranking it up on some plug-in.

honestly it's fucking offensive even mentioning this alongside kevin shields' studio work on loveless. kill yourself
>>
File: silver.jpg (240 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
silver.jpg
240 KB, 600x600
>>63708516
>pic related
>>
>>63709824
hit the nail on the head
>>
>>63709824
>but it's digitally overcompressed in the most ugly way

I thought this was the point
>>
>>63709891
This.

Everybody's comparing apples to oranges.

Kevin Shields was all about super analog fidelity and recording long before digital recording was really a major thing. CC is a purposefully electronic mash of sound that compresses and clips shit all over the place for texture.

I'm not saying one is better than the other, but they're two different things with diferent purposes.
>>
>>63708558
I fully love that album
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.