[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Vinyl general
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 8
File: image.jpg (121 KB, 1649x1649) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
121 KB, 1649x1649
What are some of your favorite vinyls and record players. Also General vinyl thread.

>pic related AT-LP60
This is my record player. It's the cheaper model, and I'm thinking of upgrading soon but this thing is great.
>>
where is the best places to look for cheap records?
>>
>>63704652
You should try to upgrade as soon as possible, while LP-60s are better than say Crosleys they aren't much better than them. They lack a counterweight so you've got the entire weight of the arm bearing down on the record.
The LP120 would be a significant improvement
>>63704692
Secondhand stores
>>
>>63704692
record stores, thrift shops, discogs, wbay, yard sales, family
>>
>>63704692
Thrift stores, second hand markets, garage sales, possibly estate sales
>>
>>63704652
>favorite vinyls
>>
File: image.jpg (24 KB, 582x364) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
24 KB, 582x364
>>63704652
I use one of these bad boys.
>>
>>63704692
I always find good records in goodwill. The only problem with that is they are scratched up a lot of times. They are only a dollar though, so if you find some that aren't scratched, you are good to go.
>>
>>63704714
So with the whole arm on the record I'm looking at an increased risk or scratching? Or what?
>>
>>63704819
Greater wear because the needle has more force behind it.
Quality record players have weights on the rear of the arm so that only minimal pressure is applied to the record.
>>
>>63704819
The needle applies too much force so it causes the records to wear faster.
A player with a counterweight basically is a player with a knob at the end of the arm so that you can negate the full weight of said arm and your records will last longer
>>
>tfw the vinyl record prices have gone up by 5-10 euros here during the past few years
>>
File: jvc_ql-l2_lid_open.jpg (62 KB, 800x450) Image search: [Google]
jvc_ql-l2_lid_open.jpg
62 KB, 800x450
Anyone else use a linear tracker?
>>
>>63704652
that's an at lp120 in the pic you fool

lp60 is a lot cheaper
>>
If I'm not getting a basic audio tecnica what am I spinning on? I just need a basic player that doesn't ruin my wax, I don't need speakers or anything
>>
File: white label.jpg (42 KB, 1076x1075) Image search: [Google]
white label.jpg
42 KB, 1076x1075
>>
>>63704652
That's what i have
>>
>>63706559
what you need is to clean up your records and stand them up lest they get ruined.
>>
>>63704652
this thread doesn't make sense
>>
My collection:

https://www.discogs.com/user/Krfstk/collection
>>
File: 5241-100129_640.jpg (744 KB, 885x1092) Image search: [Google]
5241-100129_640.jpg
744 KB, 885x1092
>>63704738
you may think its a meme but older people literally have no idea what you're talking about if you call them vinyls instead of records
>>
Are Denon turntables good?
>>
File: DP-200USBBLACK.jpg (72 KB, 600x532) Image search: [Google]
DP-200USBBLACK.jpg
72 KB, 600x532
>>63709734

Yeah, except this one
>>
>>63704652
I have an LP-60 as well. Want to upgrade to a 120 asap, but I just don't have the money to blow $300 on a record player just yet. I can't say I'm a fan of knowing each play is gradually ruining my records because of the lack of counterweight, but I take some comfort in the fact that it won't be an overnight thing. It'll at least take a few months for it to become remotely noticeable, surely.

It could be worse, I could have a Crosley. A friend of line bought one and literally threw it out the window after a week. Thing gouged a massive fuckin scratch right across the first track of one of his records to the point of unplayability.
>>
>>63709881

No counterweight is not necessarily a bad thing. The AT-LP60 has slightly less tracking force than your usual Crosleys because the cartridges are moving magnets, and unlike ceramic carts, they don't require great deal of force on your records to play it properly.

Some P-mount turntables don't even have adjustable counterweight because the tracking force for all carts are essentially the same. Of course P-mount is a late technology and never caught on that much. 1/2-inch are still better
>>
>>63705240
Makes sense because mine is a bit different from the one in the pic.
>>
got a pro-ject debut 3
bretty good
laughing at how my local record store sells those shitty audio technichas for like 150 bucks and then uses a pro-ject at the front of the store
>>
>>63710011
So is this no counterweight thing a huge concern? Should I look to upgrade quickly or should I stay with my player?
>>
>>63710301
It's a minor concern. There's a lot of factors at play here; on the one hand, a player with no counterweight will sit heavily on a record, and over time will wear it down faster than if it was perfectly balanced. On the other hand, a low tracking weight can potentially be worse, as this could reduce its tracking effectiveness causing the needle to skip across grooves and scratch it up.

You also have to consider that vinyl is just that; plastic, being run over repeatedly with a diamond point. It's going to wear down no matter what you do. On top of that, a lot of people telling you about players with no counterweight have spent a lot of money on their systems, and are naturally going to feel a need (whether conscious or not) to justify their investment.

Last point to consider, I've searched and searched and never, ever seen any kind of supporting evidence for the timeframe over which this degradation supposedly happens. As best I can tell, it's anecdotal with a fundamental basis in common sense and basic understanding of material properties.
>>
Guys I exclusively buy classical music on vinyl

Do I have a problem
>>
>>63711057

No, it's your life.
>>
File: untitled_400x400.jpg (12 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
untitled_400x400.jpg
12 KB, 400x400
>>63709262
this
they are records
>>
>>63704692
Record stores (2nd hand preferably) are the best because you can examine the discs for any faults and most will have a turntable on which you can listen to the records before buying.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.