[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why albums?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 11
File: generic_vinyl_store.jpg (117 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
generic_vinyl_store.jpg
117 KB, 500x333
What's the point of listening to whole albums if they aren't a continuing story like Hospice or Good Kid, M.A.A.D City or a concept album like Blackstar? Why does /mu/ emphasise albums as a listening format over singles or EPs?
>>
toxic rockism
>>
Why not just watch 2 minute summaries of movies, instead of a whole 2 hours? Why read books, just read spark notes?
>>
>>63702952
not every album is a concept album
>>
Would you only watch one scene of a movie? Is that an in validation of the art? Imagine if you only watched the 5 minute climax of every film you watched, listening to songs that aren't singles is a nearly the same example. The artists, be it musicians or directors, should have created a clear buildup to that climax, and the atmosphere and tone are irreparably changed if you watch scenes or listen to songs out of their context.
>>
>>63702989
not every album is coherent. Most are just a bunch of songs.
>>
>>63702952
>>63702989
You get some albums that are highly rated on here that are just a collection of really good singles with no real link between them. I mean, you'd listen to a concept album in full because the songs have a clear link between them but not all albums are like that - the songs are better off appreciated individually.
>>
>>63703010
Congrats, you've found the difference between good and bad albums
>>
>>63703016
Continuity is developed through more than just lyrics, and thinking that mu core was good was your first mistake
>>
>>63702952
Non concept albums aren't comparable to a whole movie or book, it's more like a collection of poems
>>
Listening to an album is an experience. Usually the songs on an album, whether the album is a concept album or not, still tend to tell a story or give a glimpse into the life of the artist at the time of making the record. Idk, if you're interested in music, listening through an entire album tends to be a somewhat fulfilling experience, i think.
>>
>>63703050
and are the poems within the book of poetry better appreciated within the context they were intended to be read?
>>
Most musicians make their music intending it to be heard in the context of the full album
>>
>>63703049
I don't think /mu/core is any good lmao.
>>63703053
I listen to albums like that as well, but /mu/ seems to dismiss all EPs and singles as pleb-tier, which I don't agree with.
>>
Because there's more to art than coherent narrative.
>>
>>63703115
Nah EPs can be just as fulfilling as albums, same with singles and stuff, i wouldnt let what a 4chan forum thinks have too much of an impact on your listening choices when it comes to music. I like how easy it is to chuck on an EP because of how short they are, and they can often be a lot "tighter" than albums if that makes sense, less filler sounding stuff, etc. Singles are good because they help people discover good EPs and Albums my friend :^) I usually dont get a lot of time to listen to full albums, especially when im out, so singles/individual tracks is the way 2 go sometimes ma man
>>
>>63703088
>intending
>implying you can read their minds
>>
>>63703086
Depends on context of the poetry
>>63703134
Structure separates songs as well. I listen to an album like The Money Store and even though there's a consistent style and theme there (which is what you're getting at), the songs don't always mesh quite correctly. Exmilitary I consider to be less of "a collection of random songs" yet TMS is a better album because of the individual songs, which could have been separated into two EPs.
>>
>>63703182
Not that poster, but singles have shown to be much more successful than albums in terms of money, why would someone create a less profitable piece of media if not for artistic integrity?
>>
In some ways its a valid criticism. Back in the day we had to buy an album if we wanted new, good music that wasn't radio sludge. I think we appreciated and valued music much more back then.

Now you don't have to. However, if you respect the artist (ha) maybe you want to give their album a good go. Listen to it 5 times in a week before you pass judgment on it. There will be songs that grow on you, most great songs are underwhelming at first.
>>
File: folder.jpg (191 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
folder.jpg
191 KB, 1000x1000
If you don't listen to a mix of singles, EPs, albums, compilations and live recordings you are a retard.
>>
>>63703243
>if you respect the artist

I don't owe the artist anything except the price of the album.
>>
File: folder.jpg (191 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
folder.jpg
191 KB, 1000x1000
It just makes no sense
>>
File: folder.jpg (183 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
folder.jpg
183 KB, 1000x1000
Not to mention all those people who never even released an album
>>
>>63703300
Exactly this - the "albums only" attitude on here discounts some great music.
>>
File: cover.jpg (130 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
130 KB, 1000x1000
In many genres
>>
File: folder.jpg (152 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
folder.jpg
152 KB, 1000x1000
Or those who were better live
>>
Listen to music like you want. Simple as that.
>>
File: folder.jpg (173 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
folder.jpg
173 KB, 1000x1000
And all those rare gems on compilations
>>
artists usually release music on albums
>>
File: folder.jpg (305 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
folder.jpg
305 KB, 700x700
Also, mixes
>>
I have absolutely no idea and I don't do it myself. I just spend a couple of weeks researching every recording that the band/group has ever done and listen to it in chronological order.
>>
>>63703175
>>63703053
Whoever this is is ugly as fuck and you should stop posting them.
>>
>>63703086
Most of the time No.
>>
>>63703214
Because not all songs could be released as singles and work.
Also not all music is digital.
>>
>>63703441
finally u noticed me ;^) xxxxxxxxxx
love u ma friend Love u ma friend LOVE u ma friend lvoe u ma friend love u ma friend Love u ma Friend love u ma Frend Love u me Friend :%)
>>
When you listen to an album you're listening to a time in that artists life. You're listening to period of his life and how he was feeling in that time period. In that sense albums are very personal and they fit together much better than it would be if you were listening to a greatest hits album.
>>
>>63703249
are you implying anybody here doesnt?
>>63702867
>over singles or EPs?

literally fucking what? this shit is just not true. ask anybody about, shit, let's say mbv, it's a good example - unless they only know loveless they'll tell you to listen to the EPs
>>
>>63702952
i watch cinemasins videos instead of movies
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.