[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I don't get it?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 8
File: trout mask replica.jpg (40 KB, 500x496) Image search: [Google]
trout mask replica.jpg
40 KB, 500x496
I don't get it?
>>
dont worry about it
>>
its just a meme, dont pay attention to it
>>
Yeah it's basically just noise, there's nothing to get. It's sloppy nonsense.
>>
he is the William Faulkner of music, if you don't understand him your limited and you must end your journey into the artistic world, but you maybe begin your journey into they autistic world, you fucking buffoon, you fucking piece of reddit scum
>>
>>63695928
Oh fuck off dipshit, explain why this album is good without parroting anyone else's opinions.
>>
>>63695677
>>63695677
have you listened to Howlin' Wolf, Safe as Milk, Steve Reich, Don Cherry, Sun Ra, and Strictly Personal?

if you've done this, it'll make a hella lot more sense
>>
>>63696005
Not him but yeah, it's not good. It's shit. Everyone is just pretending except you - the only free-thinker smart enough to see through the bullshit.

>Oh fuck off dipshit
>>>/reddit/
you'll be happy, we'll be happy
>>
i think understanding the context behind it lets me appreciate it more. still not fun to listen to, but i recognize it's importance in music history. it's a bunch of autists fucking around in their parents basement and taking a drug fueled 10 hour jam session and chopping it up into a double lp. pretty cool when you think about it.
>>
>>63696144
Describe how it's good without parroting anyone else's opinions you faggot pleb.
>>
>>63696225
why are someone's opinions invalidated if someone else has said them before?
>>
>>63696273
Because if you can't do that they aren't your opinions. If you can elaborate on them or just go off the same idea do that.
>>
>>63696225
do you promise to go back to r*ddit? :^)
>>
>>63696225
If you've listened to it how do you not understand how it's good?

It's free-form, he's got no restrictions. Just take the music for what it is.

And how do you expect anyone to describe it without parroting when this is literally one of the most discussed albums of all time. Everything that can be said about this has been said. If you don't get it I feel bad for you
>>
Nothing to get. Even if there were, sounds like shit so it doesn't really matter.
>>
>>63696316
It's not free-form

literally every note was memorized and done from muscle-memory

The actual composition was made in a very free manner since the dude didn't know how to play piano and whistled out what riffs he wanted

But not actually free
>>
You need to smoke some "weed"
>>
>>63696347
the players were allowed a certain amount of improvisation. with passages that complicated i doubt anyone could do the same performance twice
>>
>>63696316
No restrictions is just noise. Unorganized noise isn't music it's noise. Music is organized to a significant degree. If any of the individual instruments were in a band, that guy would be kicked the fuck out because he can't play along with other people. This is individual tracks spliced together that loses the idea of music.

>>63696314
No but feel free to kill yourself sooner rather than later.
>>
>>63696377
" Once completed each song was played in exactly the same way every time, eschewing the improvisation that typifies most popular music in favor of an approach more like a formal, classical composition. Guitarist Fred Frith noted that during this process "forces that usually emerge in improvisation are harnessed and made constant, repeatable"

only China Pig was an improv jam
>>
>>63696391
and you call people plebs, that's funny
>>
>>63696463
Your condescending faggy attitude means nothing when you're incapable of showcasing any kind of knowledge about music.
>>
>>63696439
neat
>>
Don't worry its shit. Fantano told me.
>>
>>63696482
Whatever, pleb. At least I get Beefheart.
>>
>>63696572
Interesting that you "get" beefheart when you can't actually explain why it's good. You don't realize that any group of average musicians could make an album like this by recording chaotic near nonsense tracks on each instrument that don't correspond with the other instruments in time and often key. This is fucking noise, the only thing impressive is that they play it back note for note each time, which is really only impressive in the way that an autistic kid knows 1000 songs on piano note for note.
>>
I haven't relistened to it in years yet, but I have been listening to "The Dust Blows Forward 'N' the Dust Blows Back" a ton and I can honestly say its a great, amazing song. It might sound like nothing but when you actually follow the melodies he's singing it demonstrates a lot of thoughtfulness, for real. There's many distinct themes he cycles through in that 2 minutes alone, like the first 20 seconds being a very clear pattern of its own, and aside from just the 5 or so distinct themes the way he uses transitions in that song is really amazing as well, like the "Gophers rumblin'" line and how it hangs right before leading back into a similar melodic theme from 53-103.

No idea how much this stuff can apply to the rest of the album though.
>>
Just listen to Safe As Milk, its actually pretty good
>>
When I first heard the album I hated it. But I took /mu/'s advice and gave it a few more listens. With each listen I started to like it more and more. Maybe I've been memed into liking it but I keep going back to it every day. Each time you listen to the album you notice things you never did last time, it has very interesting sounds and Horn Rollo's guitar playing is great. Start with Moonlight on Vermont, reminds me a lot of Frusciante's style
>>
>>63696619
hmm are you trolling me?
>>
>>63696665
You were literally meme'd into liking it. No one listens to a full album several times that they HATED the first time unless someone tells them to do it or they're made insecure about their opinion. This boards memes convinced you to like a shit album made by musicians dissociating too hard on acid.
>>
>>63696717
No what part of that is trolling to you. Seriously the only remarkable thing about this album is that they refused to improv and have to play every song note for note, that's only impressive because of the memory required.
>>
>>63696624
it does. do exactly what you just did, but for the 6 or 7 simultaneous tracks in the recording on a track like ella guru. easier to handle when it's just one track, but that's what makes it so challenging. there's so much going on at once it takes repeated listens to start to separate the layers
>>
>>63696665
Moonlight on Vermont was where I started to get hooked. It's an incredibly dense album, so anyone expecting to just get it on the first go is so silly. That's like anticipating a complete understanding of Ulysses the first time you read it. Not happening.

>>63696624
you're one of few people to get the lyrical mastery at work on the album. He does that on just about every track. It's ridiculous.

>>63696619
the entire instrumental album was recorded in 6 hours, after about 8 months of playing for 14 hours a day.

The only improvised thing on the album is the track China Pig.

stay mad
>>
>>63696727
Lots of people disagree with you on that f a m. its a critically acclaimed album
>>
File: 1445753910074.jpg (21 KB, 576x432) Image search: [Google]
1445753910074.jpg
21 KB, 576x432
Is that a fucking question? Are you asking me whether or not you don't get it? Are you just some kind of pussy waif with an interrogative inflection because you're too self-loathing and insecure to make statements you could be held accountable to? Or are you just butt buddies with autistic pre-teen tumblr shits that have a vague, diminishing grasp of what sarcasm is?

Honest to God, my answer to your question is get THE FUCK back to >>>/reddit/ or kill yourself, for Christ's sake.
>>
>>63696795
this tbqh
>>
>>63696619
>You don't realize that any group of average musicians could make an album like this
Name 30 albums exactly like this then
>>
>>63696775
I didn't say it was improvised you simple moron.

>>63696777
It's revered for its impact on music, mainly being that punk rockers realized they could sound like shit and still get famous.
>>
>>63696835
People don't make albums like this because it sounds like shit. You practice as a band to sync up with each other and create a harmonious organized music out of noise. It's hilarious that you're a non-musician pleb who doesn't understand how easy it is to make a noisy album that sounds like chaotic shit. Being organized is so much harder than being sloppy.
>>
File: latest.jpg (72 KB, 813x459) Image search: [Google]
latest.jpg
72 KB, 813x459
>>63696727
Only after breaking down the social construct of "good" music can one see the light. That anon journeyed his way to patricianhood by breaking down all preconceived notions of musical quality. His ears have given way to the power of enigmatic sound. He has gained his wings. Praise Beefheart.
>>
>>63696868
Is all music that's technically proficient particularly good?
>>
>>63696868
it's pretty easy to get some people who have played for a few months to sync up on some generic beat and make a Shins album

good luck having them keep up with polyrhythms and still segue into the different movements of each track together
>>
>>63696868
Ooops you didn't seem to list 30 albums that sound exactly like it.

Try one more time?
>It's hilarious that you're a non-musician pleb
What makes you say that? I play in several bands. How about you?
>who doesn't understand how easy it is to make a noisy album that sounds like chaotic shit.
If that's true, you'd be able to show me examples...
>>
File: 1452801226817.gif (3 MB, 300x241) Image search: [Google]
1452801226817.gif
3 MB, 300x241
>>63696868
World class fucking retard holy SHIT.
>>
File: 1451640213888.gif (2 MB, 443x333) Image search: [Google]
1451640213888.gif
2 MB, 443x333
>>63696932
>>63696934

Don't bother, it's just the same guy shitting on TMR for months now. I don't think this album will ever let him not be asspained.
>>
>>63696838
Its revered because its good. Many more artists than just 'punk rockers' were influenced by it. You clearly no nothing of music
>>
>>63696868
I just get the feeling this is one of those guys who comes up with some cheesy 4 note melody and promptly considers himself a good songwriter because he himself likes it.
>>
File: 1452801371351.jpg (20 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
1452801371351.jpg
20 KB, 480x360
>watches The Needle Drop once
>>63696868
>>>63696835
>People don't make albums like this because it sounds like shit. You practice as a band to sync up with each other and create a harmonious organized music out of noise. It's hilarious that you're a non-musician pleb who doesn't understand how easy it is to make a noisy album that sounds like chaotic shit. Being organized is so much harder than being sloppy.
>>
>>63697003
it will always inspire extreme rage from people

although i'm sure this is just someone who gets their kicks off shitposting
>>
File: 1454837237251.png (54 KB, 1000x553) Image search: [Google]
1454837237251.png
54 KB, 1000x553
>>63696868
>>
>>63695677
get meme'd on son
>>
>>63695677
Safe as Milk is a more watered-down version of what they did on Trout Mask Replica. Maybe try that first? Beefheart's vocals are beautiful, and if you can zero in on one instrument at a time there are some really, really complex passages being performed by everyone. It sounds a bit chaotic at first, but once you develop a better awareness of the way everyone is sort of playing off of each other the elegance and beauty of the music starts to come out more. It really is a monumental work, just a lot to digest. It's pretty funny at times too.
>>
>>63697256
Safe as Milk is nothing like TMR

Lick My Decals Off, Baby is TMR-lite with less tracks, a vibraphone, more dark content, and more focused songwriting.

Safe as Milk is just a phenomenal oddball psych rock album
>>
>>63696035
Trout Mask does not make any more sense after listening to those because those albums DO MAKE sense. Trout meme is just incomprehensible sounds beefheart's from buthole
>>
>>63697825
you didnt' even try
>>
>>63697034
That's not a list of 30 albums, sorry.
>>
File: 1458708694284.jpg (1 MB, 2672x2176) Image search: [Google]
1458708694284.jpg
1 MB, 2672x2176
>>63696868
Let me guess, ITAOTS is the best album ever made right?
>>inb4 pic not related
Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.