[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
archive's got nothing, anyone got a link?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 2
File: diiv is the is are.jpg (6 KB, 151x151) Image search: [Google]
diiv is the is are.jpg
6 KB, 151x151
archive's got nothing, anyone got a link?
>>
>>63695332
don't waste your time this album sucks
>>
>>63695347
>DIIV is bad meme
>>
cool album, makes me hopeful for their future. the bad parts repeat too much and the good parts are too short
>>
>>63695664
>>63695347
It's not a waste of time, hating on DIIV is a bad meme. I bet that if everyone on /mu/ was reintroduced to this band with no knowledge of their recent history in the press, they would be gushing about the new record.
>>
>>63695664
they are a bad meme though
>>
>>63697704
If the War on Drugs or Real Estate or even Mac Demarco overshared about their drug use in interviews and wore weird ostentatious shit on stage, would you call them a bad meme too?
>>
>>63695332
seriously this is as forgettable as their last album
>>
>>63695664
lol
>>63697930
they pale in comparison to all of those acts and none are really anything special to begin with, I dig the bass line in 'human' but overall diiv's awful
>>
>>63697930
That's not why their music is bad, you moron.
>>
>>63698010
Okay, why is their music bad? Seriously, give me a three point list.
>>
>>63698569
Not that anon, and no music is objectively bad, but I find Diiv to be a completely uninspired, derivative snoozefest. They have nothing on the bands that inspired them, and they are doing nothing to combine these influences in a creative or interesting way.

I've listened to Oshin about 10 times. I liked it most the first time, which is never really a good sign, and it wasn't in this case either. Shallow predictable ideas hiding beneath a murky layer of production. The very worst kind of style over substance.

Maybe it's just me, but their particular brand of inoffensive shlock is worse than the most tasteless shite which at least has the confidence to offend.

Beige paint music.
>>
>>63695664
there's literally no reason to listen to diiv. bands like beach fossils and wild nothing follow their same formula, but do it better in every way
>>
https://mega.nz/#F!3NFxDZqS!pEN-WNljOtI3NT_GSfRqXg

go to nu-/mu/

its there
>>
>>63698763
i like the junkie angle, sue me
>>
>>63698815
This. Beach Fossils fans take first dates to the park to make nice instagram posts. DIIV fans take first dates to the parking garage to try dissociative research chemicals.
>>
>>63698815
>>63698915
I genuinely want both of you to have really bad days sometime soon
>>
>>63698815
>>63698915

not surprising for diiv fans to obsess about image rather than the actual material
>>
>>63698942
yer problem m8
>>
>>63695332
hear one song and you've heard the whole album
>>
>>63698947
>>63698947
>>63698947
>>
>>63698915
Cringe
>>
>>63698763
I disagree. Wild Nothing is too polished and doesn't have any sort of "vibe" to it (as nebulous and vague as that sounds). Beach Fossils is better, but once I heard DIIV it was hard to enjoy most Beach Fossils songs. Honestly, all the criticisms of DIIV as a "fluffy", "retail-friendy" indie band seem a lot more valid to me when leveled at Beach fossils.
>>
>>63698985
both are fucking styrofoam horseshit for image-obsessed tumblritas and their grey goose wanker boyfriends
>>
>>63698962
Yeah, because "Mire" sounds identical to "Dopamine", sounds identical to "Valentine".
>>
>>63699052
hear one sonic youth song and you've heard is the is are
>>
>>63698985
>"retail-friendy"
the vocals are unintelligible 90% of the time lmAO
>>
>>63698947
>>63698947
pretending fans of literally any kind of contemporary music don't take image into account when deciding whether or not they like an artist.
>>
>>63699052
One guitar plays ostinato phrase, other guitar & bass plays four part chord progression, drums play a variation on the motorik beat, multitracked and overly reverbed monotonic vocals, slather some textural synths on, overdub some trite guitar melodies later in the track

now tell me which of those three songs I'm referring to
>>
>>63698763

DIIV sounds harder and harsher than Beach Fossils, which I like

and not as screamo as Wild Nothing, which I also like

full disclosure, I like DIIV
>>
>>63699123
Phew, ok that's valid. That's the basic DIIV formula in a nutshell. But each of the tracks mentioned expand upon it in their own way. Mire layers ambient feedback and features a drum breakdown, Dopamine puts the vocals a lot higher in the mix than the average DIIV song and has something approaching an actual chorus, and Valentine uses a synth and drum loop instead of a bass line as the core of the song. But you wrote this band off pretty quickly, so you probably don't give a shit about the nuances of this record.
>>
>>63699072
Take that fucking back.
>>
>>63699183
Remember when Beach Fossils tried to do a "punk" record with Clash the truth? I'm not saying DIIV is all that abrasive, but compared to Beach Fossils Lemonheads, they are practically Sebadoh.
>>
>>63699267
I too am a DIIV apologist, but that was a sloppy comparison. Try a little harder next time anon.
>>
>>63699267
clash the truth actually has intelligible songwriting though
>>
>>63695332
this album wasn't as good as oshin
i was thinking about it the other day, i probably wouldn't care about DIIV as much if devin wasn't the meme king. cole is a pretentious fuck that makes decent to mediocre dream pop, why would i care?
i didn't hop on the DIIV train after devgate, but i definitely would have put off listening to this for longer if it wasn't for devin
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.