[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ae genrel
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3
File: CS1370266-02A-BIG.jpg (74 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
CS1370266-02A-BIG.jpg
74 KB, 700x700
ae genrel
>>
gantz graf>garbage
>>
>>63690419
envane > gantz graf > garbage
>>
>>63691269
ep7>envane > gantz graf > garbage
>>
>>63691540
quaristice.subrange.ep.ae>ep7>envane > gantz graf > garbage
>>
>>63691578
L-event>quaristice.subrange.ep.ae>ep7>envane > gantz graf > garbage
>>
>>63691602
Anti>
>>
>>63691631
Anvil Vapre > Anti
>>
>>63691631
>muh repetition protest
>>
>>63691651
ep7>anvil>envane>gantz graf>anti ep>garbage>quadrange>move of ten>l-event>chichlisuite
>>
L-event is top-tier Ae just for M39 Diffain and the last 2 1/2 minutes of tac Lacora imo tbqh
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyHTsuVL5WM

are there any good ae memes?
>>
>>63692272

Was at the Chicago show, it mostly sounded like the second track of Exai, and a slightly harder L-event. Let's see if I can list the EPs/albums OTTOMH:

Basscad EP
Anti
Garbage
Anvil Vapre (vague "IV" sound in name?)
Envane (there's a V in the title, but the selections are called "quarters")
Cichlisuite (allegedly pronounced "sickly-sweet", the "sick" syllable may be suggestive of "six")
EP7 (As in, the seventh Autechre EP from their perspective, so things like Cavity Job, Gescom, Why Are R we or whatever, don't count). Unlike "LP5", which is a popularly accepted unofficial title a la "The White Album", "EP7" actually is the official title of that work, so that tells us something pretty clear of Autechre's own understanding of their own catalog.)
Gantz Graf
Quadrange etc (DL only, I haven't heard this one. I'd sorta forgotten about it but I should have a listen.)
Move of Ten (self-explanatory)
L-Event (as in, the 12th EP in their ordering scheme? But, directly after Move of Ten??)

There is some healthy room for civil debate about what is and isn't an EP in Autechre's catalogue, especially since the naming conventions above hint at a singular numbering scheme. Of course, they also are in the habit of releasing long, album-length EPs that could stand on that distinction. I have not mentioned the two Peel sessions, which were roughly in Envane/Cichli territory (97-99 or so). Based on the above, I'm fairly satisfied that Peel Sessions don't "count" as EPs. I am also content to insist that the Basscad EP is the first proper Autechre EP, because, um, EP is literally in the title.

I should listen to cavity job too, fug. If I had to pick favorites, it's Garbage mostly on the strength of Vletrmx21 (the other quiet stuff is nice too), one of their finest moments, and also Envane's Goz Quarter apparently samples Dr. Octagon's "No Awareness" and has a great melody drop in after a few minutes, and the rest of that EP is great too.
>>
>>63692622
I think L-Event maybe "eleventh"
>>
>>63692622
Yeah, the first Peel session was recorded in 1995 (which is interesting considering it doesn't sound much like the other Tri Rep material aside from that hip-hoppy crunchiness). Peel session 2 was 1999 and imo it's one of their weakest releases. Gelk is really nice, but the rest gets a little too close to drill n bass for my tastes - it's the closest they ever got to being typical "IDM" if that makes sense.

As for what constitutes an EP for them, I think it's just what Rob and Sean want to be considered, idk the word, canon in their discography? For instance, for whatever reason they considered Oversteps to be more representative of what they wanted the "aesthetic" of that era to be and so that's why it's considered LP10 and not Move of Ten (despite being LP length). This is all speculation on my part of course - it could just be a contractual thing with Warp. Ae don't seem too bothered with defining themselves or their music/releases.

Also I agree on the live set and how it relates to M39 Diffain. Both seemed to be extreme deconstructions of hip-hop and other dance music conventions.
>>
>>63692706

*slaps* head good job anon, that confused me a bit. Guess they were having a laugh.

The EPs also have an almost-but-maybe-not-quite one-to-one correspondence to the albums. In capitalized cases, this is more obvious mostly due to music, but possibly also to artwork (TDR and Alex Rutterford are the historic album-cover designers):

INCUNABULA - BASSCAD. Speaks for itself. Take a single from the album and have it remixed 4-5 times, just like a normal group does.

Amber - Anti (writing these posts is making me want to listen to early Autechre, I haven't listened to Anti in years)

Things start to go goofy here. Garbage and Anvil Vapre both belong with Tri Repetae not merely due to the ++ packaging, and loud/soft gestures, but more exactly because later...

CHIASTIC SLIDE - ENVANE are clearly companion pieces. Both works see Autechre getting louder and more brash, playing with complex, harsh melodies. Even personal favorite "Calbruc" clearly has a simple melodic logic in the timbre of of its screeching, which becomes clearer once the bass line harmonizes it. Sounds like the complex blowing up at the end of Aliens. Both album covers are also of the same "period".

However, Cichlisuite of course has a similar name to the above album, and this is kind of where they dick around with some things. The first Peel Session is solid, and is very much along the lines of Envane (same vintage), but I remember the second Peel Session as being one of the weakest things they've done.

LP5 - EP7 seem to be companions just based on naming convention and sound.

Gantz Graf could be thought of as pairing with any of Confield, Draft or Untilted depending on your mood. This is also the period of the Alex Rutterford music video/album art collaboration.

But QUARISTICE-QUADRANGE have an obvious affinity even though I haven't heard the latter.

Oversteps and Move of Ten don't sound super-similar to me, but check the album art.

Finally, Exai-L-event seem to be companions.
>>
>>63692816

They've been "deconstructing hip-hop" all along. :^) As I wrote, this seems to be part of what I like about Goz Quarter, and Draft's V-PROC (up-rock?) feels like 22nd century hip-hop.
>>
Interestingly, wikipedia's language on cavity job contradicts my thing about basscad (I seemed to remember this), but the later EP compilation (which, owning almost all the EPs, I had no need to acquire) "acknowledges" both cavity job and basscad in the sense that it's an EP compilation which includes material from both. A few remixes from the Basscad EP are excised for this compilation, however.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EPs_1991%E2%80%932002
>>
>>63693094
Cichlisuite was made at the same time as Chiastic and the tracks are all very loose interpretations or "remixes" of the track Cichli. I always thought that EP sounded closer to EP7 than Chiastic, oddly enough.

>>63693191
Oh yeah, totally. But, I dunno, I feel like 2013-2015 era Ae has a different flavor or style to the hip-hop.Feels a bit more like a dirty Atlanta style or something. Though I suppose V-Proc is similar in that regard.
>>
As a matter of fact, now that I check the wikis on the EPs, it is clear that even there, the writers have no clarity on their subject. What follows are the first sentences of the related articles, as of today:

-Cavity Job was the debut EP by British electronic music duo Autechre, and their first release under the "Autechre" name.
-Basscadet is a track released by British electronic music duo Autechre, as their second EP, under the title of Basscad,EP by Warp Records on 25 April 1994.
-Anti EP is the third EP by British electronic music duo Autechre, released by Warp Records on 3 September 1994.
-Garbage is the fourth EP by British Electronic music duo Autechre, released by Warp Records on 27 February 1995. (I would say: nope.)
-Anvil Vapre is the fifth EP by British electronic music duo Autechre, released by Warp Records on 2 October 1995. (nope again.)

(here's where it really starts getting fucky)

-Envane is the Sixth EP by British electronic music duo Autechre, released by Warp Records on 27 January 1997.
-Cichlisuite is the sixth EP by Autechre and was released 26 August 1997.
-EP7 is an EP by the electronic music group Autechre, and was released by Warp Records....

See what happened there? Accepting both Cavity Job and Basscad (which is consistent with the above box set I mentioned) as EPs leads to some inconsistenty and autism later in the catalog. Two of the later EPs are each called "sixth", some Peel sessions which don't count drop, and then "EP7's" ordinal numbering is conveniently not commented on in that wiki's opening sentence, perhaps because it's supposed to be obvious, but as we've seen, there's room for debate. It seems to center on Cavity Job and/or Basscad, though. But "Move of Ten" and "L-event" (eleven as the other anon helpfully suggested) indicate that they have a conception of "the EPs", whatever that is, and they've stuck with it since at least EP7.
>>
Nice career opener:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UppsLKz1iD4
>>
new album when????
>>
File: Autechre chart.png (3 MB, 3976x3976) Image search: [Google]
Autechre chart.png
3 MB, 3976x3976
>>
Anybody enjoy Lego Feet other than me?
Does it even count at all in their discography?
>>
Good ae meme?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YO9ZY5V461c&ab_channel=KirillBacherikov
>>
>>63697194
>>63692297
do they even need created memes? i feel like they're walking memes themselves. i mean just look at this shit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Huny02GCj6I
>>
>>63697194

Need to comment on the technique that went into making this video, which is clearly a laugh, and an homage to the Gantz Graf video. It is very well done.

The editing and degeneration of the machine are well synced, and the track is truncated but I didn't notice the changes on a first listen. In bits of the original video, things looks like computer parts-industrial objects blurred, and that maps very well here if you just stare at the machine falling apart. I guess it was a sped up video for most of the clip.

I do recommend to everyone to compare with the Gantz Graf Alex Rutterford video, it's a good job of visually similar elements, and not simply a meme, although of course it works that way too.
>>
>>63697152
lego feet is tops mate. wish they did more stuff like that - gescom sorta scratches the itch but not entirely.

apparently they have quite a bit of unreleased material from the period in between lego feet and incunabula
>>
underrated
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZLKrBPi_PU
>>
>>63692297
These lads tried to mug me in Manchester last week!
>>
>>63696083
Chiastic is pretty happy sounding, lp5 is even more melancholy than oversteps imo
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.