[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /mu/ make of this chart drawn on a blackboard by Jack
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: mindmap[1].jpg (277 KB, 1200x798) Image search: [Google]
mindmap[1].jpg
277 KB, 1200x798
What does /mu/ make of this chart drawn on a blackboard by Jack Black's character Dewey Finn in the seminal 2003 comedy School of Rock?
>>
>>63683856
Why is there all those different words for the same twing-twang?
>>
Does rockabilly really predate Brit Invasion and pop rock?
>>
Was he a patrician? Or just a rockist?
>>
>>63683856

>Rap and Hip-hop under different category

>Jazz completely ignored

>Can under the same category as Zappa and Beefheart

But the fact that he is teaching Minutemen to those kids is pretty awesome.
>>
>>63683971
Well, he was kinda teaching Rock instead of Jazz...
But yeah, Can should not be with those dudes. Unless the "?" (which is stupid anyway) were replaced with Experimental Rock or Avant-Garde Rock.
What perplexes me most is the direct arrow from Folk Rock to New Wave.
>>
>>63683946

Definitely showing some bias, though. Then again, he's teaching rock music, and the names mentioned there are more than enough to learn rock.

My only complain is there's no mention of krautrock (except Can) or fusion jazz. Miles Davis deserves a mention, at least.
>>
>>63684019

Haha that's true. How about the direct arrow from Heavy Metal to Grunge? Wasn't Grunge 'created' as a reaction against Metal? I would also say that grunge is more related to the 80's punk than it is to heavy metal. Also, no mention of Pixies anywhere in the board is bullshit.
>>
>>63683856
>Rap and HipHop are offshoots of Disco
Is this true?
>>
>>63684197

To a small extent, but IMO it's almost an oversimplification. Funk, jazz, and 70's RnB are sampled in Hip-hop as much as disco is.
>>
File: CeZ9kg6UIAE619D.jpg (38 KB, 540x436) Image search: [Google]
CeZ9kg6UIAE619D.jpg
38 KB, 540x436
>tfw David Bowie is dead
>>
>>63684197
Wasn't that one Blondie song one of the first songs to ever feature rapping?
>>
pretty decent. some weird classifications- not sure why velvets are under psych or why siouxsie and the banshees are under the first wave of punk for example, and not all of these genres link into one another in the way that they're written out here. like, the line from r&b to funk shoudn't have doo wop in the middle, heavy metal and hard rock should link to one another directly as should punk and new wave, etc, but it's a sound enough chart i think.
>>
>>63684124
i mean, grunge is pretty overtly metal influenced. the stuff about it being a 'reaction' is mostly retrospective silliness from journalists and critics.
>>
>>63684258
"Rapture" was the first song to hit #1 on the Billboard Hot 100 with rapped vocals.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.