[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Harmonica Basics
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3
File: Special20G-large.jpg (63 KB, 750x353) Image search: [Google]
Special20G-large.jpg
63 KB, 750x353
I just bought pic related today. I plan on learning. I'm trying to get away from the computer some more so I thought I'd try and learn a new instrument.

Besides YouTube, what are some good resources to start learning the harmonica? I've always loved this instrument but I never actually thought of learning it until now.

I'm unemployed for the time being so I plan on practicing for at least 1-2 hours every day.
>>
So far I've been practicing just trying to play single notes without accidentally playing two or more at once. Some of the YouTube videos are good but I'd like some more tutorials if anyone has any ideas.
>>
pls respond
>>
>>63678182
>>63678225
>>63678296
>>63678356
>>63678501
literally the worst instrument, only good maybe for blues music which suck as well
https://www.youtube.com/user/KudzuRunner

don't bother, pirate a daw and learn actual music
>>
>>63679122
>fl studio soundcloud thread-tier "experimental trap beats"
>actual music
>music

wow ok lmao
>>
>>63679122
wew awful b8
>>
>>63679122
Fuck off cunt.
>>
bump out of interest, also pity
>>
Bump 2bh
>>
>>63679324
thank you
>>
File: 1453134420011.jpg (32 KB, 288x339) Image search: [Google]
1453134420011.jpg
32 KB, 288x339
>tfw legit threads get ignored
>tfw shit post threads thrive
>>
>>63678225
yea buddy just practice your embouchure and make sure that you're getting pure notes and all that. after you can do that practice scales or whatever then you can move on to playing from sheet music.
>>
>>63679122
Hate to say it but I agree, literally only good as part of an ensemble with other instruments, on its own it is not impressive in any way and will annoy anyone who hears it, you'll become even more insufferable. If you like it, good stuff and I hope you enjoy it, but it's so fucking grating
>>
>>63679535
>practice your embouchure
Yeah that's what I've been doing. I'm already getting really good at it as I played Clarinet for 8~ years or so. I can read music but it's different for Harmonica no?
>>63679559
I find it incredibly pleasant. Depends on the music for some I guess.
>>
Anyone else got any places I can go for lessons online or w/e?
>>
>>63679688
Just practise bending notes if you want to play blues harmonica and keep practising tabs anon.
>>
>>63679851
Thanks friend.
>>
Man I just found my brother's presumed-long-lost C harmonica (just like the one in the pic only golden) and I'm playing around with it, having a blast. I can't play for shit, except some basic semi-recognisable melodies like Amazing Grace or something equally generic, but it's a blast.

I like playing big messy ethereal chords, in-n-out for hours. I'm a bit of an idiot and get into an idiot-trance when listening to extended chords played by reed instruments.

Anyway OP, you know cunts like >>63679122 is wrong. Keep doing what you're doing. Anyway, looking for some advise on how to become more familiar with the instrument, I found this site (instead of coming here for help, wink, wink) http://www.harmonicaacademy.com/categories/20080312_7
Pretty basic, but then agian we're at a pretty asic level.
>>
>>63679514
kids here don't actually play instruments or make music, why are you surprised?
>>
>>63680417
Thanks. I really appreciate it.
>>63680550
I guess I shouldn't be.
>>
File: reaction.jpg (11 KB, 320x362) Image search: [Google]
reaction.jpg
11 KB, 320x362
>>63678182
>tfw play the harmonica on occasion and am terrible at it but I really enjoy it
>read the manual it came with
>instructions on how to play
>cover all the holes you're not playing with your tongue
>mfw
>>
>>63681389
From what I've been following on YouTube, that's just one of a couple of methods. Try narrowing your mouth so that only a single note comes out. It takes practice but I found it quite easy after so many years of playing the clarinet.
>>
>tfw no harmonica friends to play with
>>
>>63681389
I've got ankyloglossia so that would be impossible for me so I just really tightly narrow my mouth.
>>
>>63681780
I have friends who play instruments but none want to start a band so I have to play harmonica and guitar at the same damn time.
>>
>>63681895
You probably sound god tier though. I think one of my motivations was probably my interest in blues and seeing Jeff Rosenstock play it live on stage.
>>
Hey man, I've tried to make a thread for this and have failed plenty of times. I found good PDFs with some basic stuff and just guides in general. I'll post them here.

www. docdroid .net/DXYrTRn/peter-gelling-10-easy-lessons-blues-harmonica-bookzzorg.pdf.html
>>
docdro .id/g3pSPtf
>>
docdro .id/aY1hiNt
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.