[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
how do i get inspiration? been producing for over 2 years now,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1
File: tumblr_nstzggoYmP1uce6g7o1_500.jpg (67 KB, 500x498) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nstzggoYmP1uce6g7o1_500.jpg
67 KB, 500x498
how do i get inspiration? been producing for over 2 years now, ive never been so under-inspired before. i remember back when i didnt even know what the hell sidechaining is, i had so many ideas and melodies and chord progressions just jumping into my mind, now i cant do anything that makes me feel satisfied. i stopped listening to the music i used to love because of the jealousy that i cant ever make a track that good. ive started 3 projects over the past 5 months and scrapped them all. how does /mu/ deal with writers block?
>>
I don't have writers block. There's too much shitty music to write about.
>>
shameless, unsatisfying self bump
>>
>>63677377
take a break, listen to some genres you wouldn't normally listen to. Try starting your tracks totally differently than how you usually do - start with drums, start with a single melody and work your chords/rhythm around that. Think less, don't force it
>>
>>63677377
I get that feeling to sometimes of being jealous. You can't be great yourself if you spend all your time comparing yourself to an album like Nevermind or Sgt. Pepper and thinking "Shit this is so much better than my music" because you're not supposed to be like them, you're supposed to be like you and you sound different than them. If you're bored of music then just do what you really think is fun, not what you "Have to do". For instance I'm a singer songwriter who's a massive fan of grunge and classic rock, but a few days ago I made a hip hop song just for the fuck of it because it sounded like fun. And it was. And it freshened me up.
>>
>>63677555
>>63678326
good advice here
>>
when your writers block lasts for 5 months you might have to think about the possibility that you're just not really creative
>>
>>63678634
nah i wouldnt say it lasted for 5 months, its more like i get really inspired by something, got to work and decided to drop it afterwards because it didnt go up to my standards. before i did everything so right for some reason, whatever i start i always finished. only in the past 5 months since i started going in to more advanced stuff did i really higher my self-standard.
>>63678326
ok im gonna try this out
>>
The harsh truth here is that these are strong indicators you're actually not that talented, creative or gifted

That isn't to say you won't rack a few plays up on Soundcloud, get the odd Bandcamp sale, or open for some other local artists

It is to say that if the juice isn't coming out even though you've been squeezing hard for a long time, maybe you're approaching your intellectual limit

Then ask yourself:

Does the world really need more amusing but ultimately forgettable electronic music? Can you really offer anything to expand the genre?

Then ask yourself why you're doing it to begin with and your motives will usually show themselves to be for superficial reasons.

>inb4 you're just projecting

I've seen literally dozens of people go through this exact thing then burn out and never go back to music in a meaningful way. And I mean dozens. They all feel this brief fire inside and then reach their limit, and it dies, they realize they actually can't create anything *that* great that's worth putting in the time they are.

Or maybe you just need to smoke some weed, I heard that is the secret creative mind expander but it's hard to find

Well there you, that's some info into the world, use it in self-defense
>>
>>63679562
This should be stapled to soundcloud's front page. It is harsh, but it's entirely correct.
>>
>>63677377
DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS DRUGS
>>
>>63679562
>Does the world really need more amusing but ultimately forgettable electronic music? Can you really offer anything to expand the genre?
No, but many other artists have a myriad of sales doing just this.
>>63680584
Also OP this. Some of the best music you'll ever hear were made by artists/bands when they were on drugs. Do LSD or something.
>>
>>63680584
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlZdQyBpo3s
>>
Smokin' weed is pretty good.
I can hear and feel music better when I'm stoned.
>>
I hadn't posted anything on my SC in 8 months because I got pretty busy, and I was quite uninspired when I did find the time to produce a bit, but yeah recently I dropped some acid and started smoking weed again which helped. The acid helped especially. Just forcing yourself to produce a bit every day makes you get better too, I probably have around 500 project files yet only maybe 10 completed songs of which I only felt comfortable posting up one or two of, so I can feel your pain. I also can relate to being jealous of good producers, but whatever you do don't imitate but try to be original as easy as that is said, because there are too many wanabe imitators on YouTube that are like a budget version of a famous producer and it's complete bs.
>>
>>63679562
>>63679592
I disagree, every artist goes through a phase where the music he creates isn't as good as he wants it to be and he knows it
you can either give up or power through it, it may take years tho
>>
>>63679562
There's no such thing as being talented, creative or gifted anon.
And it's even more true in music.
>>
>>63681718
untalented uncreative anon detected
>>
>>63681718
>he fell the "work hard and you can be anything you want" meme
>>
Don't make projects and just focus on making songs, A project will eventually come together.
>>
this threads dumb. you know some pros take multiple years off between projects right? just make whatever the fuck you want to make, instead of trying to get a million views or whatever.

im in the same boat, i hate everything because its the simplest pleb shit to make and dumb as fuck to listen to. and its super discouraging to even want to make music when you hear some stupid ass pop song with 3 notes and a 808, with a generic chord progression. meanwhile i make shitty noise avante garde goth beats and shit lol and no one wants to hear that either so its all fucked man just make whatever u want.
>>
>>63681876
It's not a matter of working hard.
It's a matter of finding a way of expressing oneself.

Btw making music almost always implies hard work but I guess you know that.
>>
>>63677377
go and find some new raw performers that you could draw potential out of.

you've got to go and find the moment.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.