[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I realized about one month ago how powerful and complex music
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 20
File: Cov.jpg (19 KB, 750x750) Image search: [Google]
Cov.jpg
19 KB, 750x750
I realized about one month ago how powerful and complex music is. I used to think music was only the catchy shit you hear on the radio or billboard top 50. Anything different would sound like noise. Now, I can put it on the same level as literature, cinematography, paintings, and sculpture. How the fuck was I so ignorant /mu/? I feel like I have wasted so much time looking at a blank wall.

When did you get to appreciate music on a deep level /mu/ and what popped your cherry (album or song)?
>25 years in, and The Great Gig In the Sky.
>>
File: 1458443654066.jpg (111 KB, 736x921) Image search: [Google]
1458443654066.jpg
111 KB, 736x921
While Any Colour You Like is instrumental, it has been speculated that the song ties to The Dark Side of the Moon concept by considering the lack of choice one has in human society, while being deluded into thinking one does. It is also speculated that the song is about the fear of making choices. The origin of the title is unclear.

The first half of the song repeats the same few notes on the keyboard except they play it faster, slower, backwards. and forwards to create the illusion of listening to different things. It cleverly shows how people are mislead into thinking they are deciding how their life will run, but that is not the case as society forces you to take a certain path. Note its position on the album, too. "Us and Them" is about paranoia, immediately following this is "Any Colour You Like" and then "Brain Damage", finally Eclipse. Any Colour is the nervous breakdown that comes in between the onset of paranoia and the "brain damage."

The song used advanced effects for the time both in the keyboard and the guitar. The VCS 3 synthesizer was fed through a long tape loop to create the rising and falling keyboard solo. David Gilmour used two guitars with the Uni-Vibe guitar effect to create the harmonizing guitar solo for the rest of the song. "Any Colour You Like" is also known (and is even listed on the Dark Side guitar tablature book) as "Breathe (Second Reprise)" because the song shares the same beat (albeit somewhat funkier and uptempo) as the album's first song "Breathe". It has also nearly the same chord sequence just transposed a whole step lower from E minor to D minor.

The reason why I have fallen in monogamic love with this tune is due to its perfection. The production behind it is unmatchable by any standard. The synthesizers take front row for most of the production, and the guitar/bass/drum combo serve as a base. In my mind, this is what a song should try to achieve if it wants to be perfect.

https://youtu.be/_83urK9rO4U
>>
File: tumblr_nvs3teAHRU1roc23co1_500.jpg (187 KB, 771x1280) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nvs3teAHRU1roc23co1_500.jpg
187 KB, 771x1280
Sounds gay, but I think Death Grips actually widened my view on music and how different it can be. Now I really appreciate music as something more, not just a catchy shit, but as an art and self-expression. But with that there is also the fact that I can't go back to listen to some entry-level shit, there is only going deeper
>>
>>63675209
I had an experience like this, but with Fugazi instead of Death Grips

it's that point where you realize the conventionally "ugly," or abrasive, can still be artful and, in fact, beautiful. I think anyone serious reaches that place, but with different artists
>>
Either I haven't reached that point yet, or it's been a slow development and I can't pinpoint a single moment of realization.

I generally consider Deftones' White Pony the first "good" album I listened to.
>>
>>63675042
>Appreciate music on a deep level
>The Great Gig In The Sky

You do realize that that song is just a pop song and that its not particularly complex?
>>
I used to be a little faggot who would only listen to videogame music, and anime/touhou songs. It's all thanks to the Metroid Metal guy that I ended up branching out into "real" music at all
>>
A mixture of this and Afraid Of Everyone.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zI9ivyULEW4
>>
>>63675160
I love that song. I read somewhere that the title was related to something that the manager used to say.
>>63675209
If I listened to Death Grips a year ago, I would be like, "what the fuck? it is just noise." but honestly, they are amazing.
>>
File: 1457281051377.png (337 KB, 473x496) Image search: [Google]
1457281051377.png
337 KB, 473x496
>>63675209
>Your average DG fan
>>
>>63675160
>The first half of the song repeats the same few notes on the keyboard except they play it faster, slower, backwards. and forwards to create the illusion of listening to different things. It cleverly shows how people are mislead into thinking they are deciding how their life will run, but that is not the case as society forces you to take a certain path. Note its position on the album, too. "Us and Them" is about paranoia, immediately following this is "Any Colour You Like" and then "Brain Damage", finally Eclipse. Any Colour is the nervous breakdown that comes in between the onset of paranoia and the "brain damage."
holy shit i never thought of it like that

i respect the song/album much more now
>>
File: 1454453450359.jpg (64 KB, 500x608) Image search: [Google]
1454453450359.jpg
64 KB, 500x608
>>63675399
Notice how the Death Grips fan actually responds to the topic at hand and contributes meaningful discussion, while the Death Grips detractor merely shitposts
>>
File: emergency&i.jpg (202 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
emergency&i.jpg
202 KB, 500x500
When I discovered Emergency & I by Dismemberment Plan when I was 23 or so.
>>
File: 1454000240543.png (205 KB, 1223x367) Image search: [Google]
1454000240543.png
205 KB, 1223x367
I never really listened to music until the 7th grade and a friend introduced me to Metallica, was really into metal and classic rock until like the 10th grade then moved onto hardcore punk. Afterwards I got on /mu/ and really enjoyed /mu/core (still enjoy some of it) but more importantly it got me into all kinds of different avenues of music.

Now I'm sitting here drinking some beers and listening to Night on the Sun by Modest Mouse on Tuesday night.. I don't know how to feel about this.
>>
>>63675472
/mu/ in general may be a shitty place, but it's great at introducing to people to wildly different genres of music

I wouldn't be listening to half the crazy shit I do now without this shithole
>>
>>63675160
>The first half of the song repeats the same few notes on the keyboard except they play it faster, slower, backwards. and forwards to create the illusion of listening to different things. It cleverly shows how people are mislead into thinking they are deciding how their life will run, but that is not the case as society forces you to take a certain path.

I like PF but that's fucking retarded to be honest
"Hey look we played the chord progression backwards, it symbolizes society n shiet"
>>
File: 1456345748655.jpg (61 KB, 604x438) Image search: [Google]
1456345748655.jpg
61 KB, 604x438
>>63675316
I said it's what widened my perspective regarding the whole concept of music.
Also, I disagree with everything that you said. To me it's a musical treasure. The vocals are stuff that give goosebumps.
>>
>>63675521
>The themes on The Dark Side of the Moon include conflict, greed, the passage of time, and mental illness, the latter partly inspired by Barrett's deteriorating mental state.
>>
>>63675449
>But with that there is also the fact that I can't go back to listen to some entry-level shit, there is only going deeper

embarrassing statement that desperately tries to prove some "superiority" over classics and "entry level" (by the way, using that term unironically, kek)

>Now I really appreciate music as something more, not just a catchy shit

See how this mongoloid implies that catchy is a negative aspect of music, completely trying to evoke a feeling of "knowledge" about music and "superior" taste.

roooastedd xD!
>>
File: 1455946813004.jpg (49 KB, 500x667) Image search: [Google]
1455946813004.jpg
49 KB, 500x667
>>63675587
You misunderstood my OP post. I used shit, in "the catchy shit" as in stuff, not to insult the songs on the radio or billboard top 50 as garbage music.
I enjoy the catchy shit too and love it. Also, superior taste? Come on. We are talking about something that's subjective here. Please don't play the armchair psychologist. It's retarded.
>>
Honestly, post rock got me into music as an art form. Listening to Godspeed and Sigur Ros for the first time really changed what I looked for in music and I owe a lot to that genre even if I have moved pretty far past it
>>
File: 1459312999051s.jpg (3 KB, 125x96) Image search: [Google]
1459312999051s.jpg
3 KB, 125x96
>>63675703
Your OP reeks of "muh taste." You're the one bringing new levels of music or some shit.

>there is also the fact that I can't go back to listen to some entry-level [stuff]

Did you read what you wrote?
>>
>>63675784
As I said before, you have misunderstood it. The OP post is about the point when you feel like you learned to enjoy music in a broader way. Hence, the things that sounded like noise don't sound like noise anymore.

>there is also the fact that I can't go back to listen to some entry-level [stuff]

I didn't write that. Are you shitposting?
>>
The first album I bought was Parachutes when I was 11. I remember memorizing every verse of every song, even though I didn't start learning English until a year later. Don't panic was my favorite song, I could repeat it for hours, I specially loved the synth and the guitar of the outtro.
I stuck with them until they released Viva la Vida, in that same month I started listening to some post rock and space rock, just what I was looking for, fuzzy, dreamy sounds. It is as if it was meant to be.
Now, I can't even concentrate when I'm studying or working if I don't have a synth ambient or a prog post rock album playing in the background.
>>
>>63675779
I got introduced to Godspeed when 4 years ago from this video on youtube, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQHC2X_udLQ

I checked the whole album, but found that I only liked The Sad Mafioso... part from the video. I was fucking wrong. F#A# Infini is a masterpiece.

Sigur Ros <3
>>
>>63675042

First time I got high, Smells Like Teen Spirit changed my whole perspective on music. Since then I've moved on to better stuff, but man, what banger.
>>
>>63675865
Ha. Nice bait my dude you got me good.

in case you aren't baiting: again, did you read what you wrote?

>But with that there is also the fact that I can't go back to listen to some entry-level shit, there is only going deeper.
>>
when tlop dropped my 42 year old brain found a whole new world was ready to be explored by my ears, OP. I'm now a Crate Digger.
>>
>>63675962
Jesus!

I am not this anon >>63675209 .

I am OP.
>>63675042
>>63675383
>>63675532
>>63675703
>>63675865
>>63675943
Me on this thread. No bait. I guess you don't want to admit that you messed up.
>>
>>63675209
wow aren't you a special snowflake
>>
>>63676116
I guess you feel special too, shitposting and all? You think you understand everything by being overly cynical on something that someone says? Oh, I forgot you are also a special snowflake. THE FUCK OUTTA HERE!
>>
BWPS or In the Aeroplane Over the Sea. One for musical complexity in modern music (I had theory training my whole life, so I knew how complex music could be and how great it could be) and In the Aeroplane Over the Sea for understanding how albums can function like works of literature by expressing the human condition in some way.
>>
>>63675209
Thanks for your honesty. You don't deserve all the shit you got for it.
>>
>>63675042
>being this new
>>
>>63676652
he l i t e r a l l y says he only started listening to music a month ago. fuck off shitposter
>>
File: 1453588387977.gif (3 MB, 420x300) Image search: [Google]
1453588387977.gif
3 MB, 420x300
>>63675042
I had a very similar experience OP. About a year ago, I started smoking pot with a friend from high school. Probably around the fourth or fifth time, I listened to Dark Side of the Moon, with meme50s my friend loaned me. Before this I literally listened to nothing but the radio in the car, "5-hour relax focus beethoven classical ambient study music" on youtube, and a coldplay pandora station. Oh and I had a phase where I listened to nothing but scary monsters and bangarang by skrillex for a few months..

what a fucking amazing experience. Jesus christ man, I was so high. Fucking great gig in the sky. Jesus fucking christ. You know the brass/synth that comes in at about 15 seconds in, behind the piano? For some reason I was super focused on that. It was like a rollercoaster, as it went up, I did, and as it went down, so did I. Listen to that song again and pretend you're a high as fuck teenager and follow that instrument.. fuuuuck man god damn.

And on Time, oh my god the guitar solo. Fucking from another dimension man. In my head it was like the guitar was singing words. Fuck man it was amazing.

Don't even get me started on Brain Damage/Eclipse.

Fuck man, I fucking love that album. Got me into music. I chased that dragon for a while, I thought PF's other stuff would have the same effect on me, but no, my cherry was popped. Weed wasn't as novel and I had a tolerance. I can't speak objectively about the quality of the rest of PF's discog in comparison to Dark Side, that fucking album just holds too special a place in my heart.

Music is a beautiful thing. I found /mu/core a couple of months after that and kind of used it as a starting point. I mean, I was basically a clean slate. I had no taste to speak of, besides trying to find something as good as Dark Side. No other album has done what it did for me. Spirit of Eden and Drukqs came closest though.
>>
I've listened to DSotM a few times in the past but only recently has it really "clicked" with me

I just relate to the lyrics so much
>>
bumping this thread because it's good
>>
I've been like that since i was a kid, i played piano a lot and i loved it. used to listen to symphony's too that's what really inspired my passion and appreciation for music.
>>
>>63675209
lol u can see his knuckles
>>
File: Yplh18u.png (26 KB, 527x409) Image search: [Google]
Yplh18u.png
26 KB, 527x409
>>63675042
>>
>>63675505
This.
>>
>>63675400
>>63675160
It took me 100 listens of the DSOTM to realize that it was the greatest song on the album.
>>
File: 1451032548556.jpg (88 KB, 1440x1080) Image search: [Google]
1451032548556.jpg
88 KB, 1440x1080
i dont know if this
>>63675042
or
>>63676652
this is bait

if the first one isnt norfont find your way in
2nd one ye you showed him
>>
>>63675042

I'd say when I started listening to things like Mozart
>>
I was 16 when i understood that music is just the best thing in the world. I felt pretty dumb about it until i discovered shopenhauer. Atom heart mother is probably the album that made everything start for me
>>
I started feeling the music with Discover(Daft Punk),Black holes and revelations(Muse),then Radiohead and Pink Floyd
>>
Honestly, last year when Divers came out. I knew I was listening to something beautiful but it wasn't until I really went in and looked at the meaning behind the lyrics on Genius, that I really understood how powerful the medium can be. I've had A LOT of catching up to do, going through as many discographies as I can in this time period, but it's really opened my eyes and almost changed my life in a way.
>>
>>63675455
one of the best albums
>>
>>63675505
completely agree
>>
File: guyf.png (688 KB, 540x540) Image search: [Google]
guyf.png
688 KB, 540x540
>>63675042

Started playing guitar when I was 10. I never really went through the mainstream phase. I was definitely a 'wrong generation' shithead for a good while.
>>
>>63675042
>when I was 14
>velvet underground and Nico, Sunday morning
>>
>>63675160
>Us and Them is about paranoia
Where the fuck did you get that from? Imo it can only be interpreted as critiquing the lines we draw between each other and the wars and loss it causes

Us and them
And after all we're only ordinary men.
Me and you
God only knows it's not what we would choose to do.

'Forward' he cried from the rear
And the front rank died.
The general is sat and the lines on the map
Move from side to side.
>>
>>63675383
Roger Waters has talked about the title in an interview:
"If they had sets of china, and they were all the same colour, they would say, 'You can 'ave 'em, ten bob to you, love. Any colour you like, they're all blue.' And that was just part of that patter. So, metaphorically, 'Any Colour You Like' is interesting, in that sense, because it denotes offering a choice where there is none. And it's also interesting that in the phrase, 'Any colour you like, they're all blue', I don't know why, but in my mind it's always 'they're all blue', which, if you think about it, relates very much to the light and dark, sun and moon, good and evil. You make your choice but it's always blue."

Henry Ford also said something like the customers could have any color they wanted, as long as it was black
>>
File: index.jpg (12 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
12 KB, 225x225
>>
>>63675042
Dsotm would have been perfect if it wasn't for money.

Not only is money such an unfitting sound it also is way to materialistic imo. Like all the other songs are about general parts of life (death, aging, morality, etc) but then money is just political. Fuck waters and that song
>>
>>63675042
Fuck you, it was the same for me, one month ago with the fucking Gig!
>>
>>63683389
But both money and politics are a part of life you dullard
>>
>>63683410
I mean part of biological life. Money and politics are human inventions
>>
File: scarymonsters.jpg (77 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
scarymonsters.jpg
77 KB, 480x480
>>
>>63681457
The us and them mentality is paranoia
>>
>>63683427
The album is about humanity, not specifically biological life. Are you a fucking autistic STEM or something?
>>
>>63675290

The most important lesson I've learnt from exporing music is that just because it's not pretty, doesn't mean it's not beautiful.
>>
>>63675042
Aphex Twin
>>
When I was younger I watched a youtuber who listened to Nujabes while playing LoL and absolutely loved it. I decided I wanted to hear more and looked up more of his stuff. 3 days later he died, and that really tore me apart, but it's where I learned music was so much more to me. It truly sparked my love for music and kept me looking for more new stuff to try listening to.
>>
>>63675042
The Downward Spiral when I was in middle school/early high school. It created this coherent sound world and the lyrics seemed to tell a story. It turned me into the ambient/industrial/artpop fag I am today.
>>
File: 1b22e2e8cf4ae264cf907592eb8efdc3.png (156 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1b22e2e8cf4ae264cf907592eb8efdc3.png
156 KB, 1920x1080
>>63675505
I'd still be a total plebian if I didn't come here.
Sure, I have a long way to go.
This is a good place to discover good music, that's also new.
Wouldn't have tried Swans if it weren't for this place.
>>
I think i was like 10 when i realized music was something else at least for me, my favorite bands back then were nirvana and RATM. Started playing guitar around 12. When i was 15 i was blown away by the mars volta, king crimson and pink floyd, other favorites were hendrix, aphex twin, and early 90's rhcp., also started smoking lots of weed.
16 was radiohead phase.
Then animal collective when i was 17 (started dropping acid), got even more blown away with STGSTV, the beatles and the beach boys clicked with me at the time too. Explaining the stuff i felt when i was blown away doesnt make sense because i was really high.
dudr weed lmao
>>
>>63675209
Daily reminder that Death grips is 8th grade core and any adult listening to them should be mocked
>>
>>63675042
I really subscribe to John Frusciante's idea of the 4th dimension. That there's this unseeable, unknowable, and untouchable realm where this free form energy exists. And it always has, and always will. It's not that top 40 bullshit either. That's just knowing formulas for hit songs. I'm talking the pure fucking art that'll always be remembered.

You don't "just make" music like Dark Side of the Moon. Jimi Hendrix didn't just "play" the guitar. He literally reinvented rock music. That's fucking amazing to me. And it goes for anybody who ever had a significant impact. Humankind's most pure and beautiful creations made by people who could just connect to that energy.
>>
what a bad thread goddamn
>>
>>63684799
I completely disagree
Today's society puts so much emphasis on celebrities and I despise it. People are just people. Some people have the ability to make good music, make good art or make good films but they are still just people. Maybe their is a non-corporal energy that powers people like John Lennon or Steven Spielberg but I just think they are people that have found their calling
>>
>>63675042

Music is literally just organized sounds, and much like other art, is amongst the dumbest things in the world.
>>
I started by listening to random stuff after I stopped being a ska kid. Channel Orange led me to pitchfork, which led me to here. I eventually realized you guys have shit taste, and then I finally developed an actual interest in listening to music.
>>
>>63684924

Yeah, of course they're just people. Everyone's got something they're going to be good at. But what I listed were the best of the best and that's what I'm talking about. The people who reach that point in any sort of field or study. I don't believe that just happens either.
>>
>>63683389
Money actually fits quite well IMO. On vinyl, you would have to get up and flip the record after Great Gig, so the transition isn't such a big deal. I think it injects a needed amount of energy.
>>
>>63683663
that's some deep shit mayn
>>
>>63675209
whatever, i like death grips too
>>
Probably listening to John Martyn - Solid Air when I was about 15-16

Has this simple yet complex composition but the texture on that album is beyond - has a feel, an aesthetic which can't be described

Still resonates
>>
>>63675209
I like DG, too
>>
>>63678498
Fuck off
>>
>>63684799
yeah this is just bullshit mysticizing but it sounds cool so its ok if you believe it, honestly
Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 20

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.