[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it possible to be completely subjective while judging music?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: 06J8OCi.jpg (16 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
06J8OCi.jpg
16 KB, 500x500
Is it possible to be completely subjective while judging music? Can it only be done if one is not exposed to other opinions? Is it wrong to listen to music for the sole reason of judging it?
>>
>>63674812
Do you mean objective?
>>
If you mean objective then no you can't honestly
>>
>>63674838
I mean without being influenced by outside sources
>>
>>63674812
>>63674875

I think you can be objective about the quality of the composition. It should basically be so pretentious that it's unpretentious because the composers tried very hard to make appealing music that is neither indulgent bullshit or actually just shit. And, in the case of the music in question, they succeeded at that goal. From there, you can list some widely agreeable criteria and analyze how well a particular composition did in each category.

I think that partially, but not entirely, relies on consensus, which is exactly what "entry level" stuff is. It isn't just basic music you have to listen to before you know anything about music; it actually represents the most broadly appealing, aesthetically minded music because everyone keeps bringing it up so fucking much.

So consensus weakens the case for having objective criteria.

That doesn't even touch on the issue of genre, or the universal truth that great music comes in wildly varied forms. Basically, this is a really damn complicated question
>>
>>63675165
I agree that you can think about music in an objective way but your cultural and personal bias is always going to get in the way of being purely objective
>>
>>63675230

I think that's true, too. Your taste is always going to guide which music you choose to listen to next, or at least strongly influence that pattern of choices.

For instance, you may choose to spend time pursuing different goals, such as finding better music (i.e. it is both "at least as interesting" to listen to as the music you currently have, and satisfies more ideals of music). Or you could have an approach that is focused and informed or more random. Or you could just try to find music that is the same as the music that you already like. All of these have different rates of effectiveness, and satisfy different goals of listening to music, so yeah it's starting to get subjective.

You may also spend more or less time on the hobby of "music listening", so results will vary.
>>
>>63675419
How do you actually listen to music? Do you put all of your focus into listening to the album/song, do you listen to it in the background while you're doing menial tasks, etc?
>>
>>63675545

I mostly like to listen to full albums at a time. And yeah I'm very Western influenced, a lot of rock and electronica based stuff.

I actually listen to different stuff at work vs at home, but mostly because I find some of my music more conducive to working.
>>
>be 5-6 years ago
>go to state college
>hate metal
>recruited as judge for battle of the bands
>some good bands
>some shit band
>Christian metal band plays
>they are fucking incredible
>all judges agree they won the contest
>none of us listen to Christian music
>only 1/4 of us listen to metal
>>
>>63675793

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0RXSkh2JI0
>>
>>63675793
Was it because they sounded better or because they demonstrated more talent?
>>
>>63676024
what would be the difference?
>>
>>63676181
Dream Theater is technical proficiency and a display of pure talent and ability, whereas a band like modest mouse or neutral milk hotel has musicianship but maybe isn't a technical clinic.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.