[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
yeah this album has quite a few terrible fucking tracks
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 18
yeah this album has quite a few terrible fucking tracks
>>
It doesn't actually, you just don't get it.
>>
s/t is a lot better
>>
>>63668331
Only track that could even somewhat be terrible is Independence
>>
>>63668459
no it's not
>>
Health and Efficiency > Repat > s/t > Deceit
>>
>>63668465
okay thank you
>>
>>63668444
honestly what is there to get?
>>
>>63668331
let me guess the terrible 1s r those dat sound least like rock music right? yea fuck of

>>63668487
swap h&e and deceit and u got it right
>>
>>63668570
no the terrible ones are the ones that sound most like rock music
>>
>>63668542
A combination of textual variance and atonal improv conducive to a multi-faceted, tactile sensation of acoustic stimulus. It's intensely cathartic as it is raw. If you don't get it, you should listen to more music and return to it and see if you still don't like it.
>>
>>63668606
dats even worse cuz those r actually the best lol

keep lurking til u get better taste in music etc
>>
>>63668331
What makes them terrible anon?
>>
>>63668644
this is a pretty empty analysis. it reduces to "it sounds good".
>>
SLEEP SLEEP SLEEP
SLEEP SLEEP SLEEP
>>
>>63668677
The fact that it's not regular old rock music. Just look at that fucking filename like holy SHIT this fucking sperg just literally Google image searched 'deceit' just so he could post on /mu/ "this is terrible, I don't like it >:("
>>63668703
>I'll take shit non-musicians say for $300, Trebek
>>
>>63668444
Not OP here, and even I'll admit I don't get it. Even so...that doesn't stop some tracks sounding boring/horrible.
>>
>This Heat

More like That Cold amirite fellas???
>>
>>63668740
>>I'll take shit non-musicians say for $300, Trebek
exactly what i was thinking
>>
>>63668331
Health and Efficiency is great too. You should check it out.
>>
I can't think of one. Please name at least one.
>>
Peel sessions are their best release. Check that out.
>>
>>63668740
>Just look at that fucking filename like holy SHIT this fucking sperg just literally Google image searched 'deceit' just so he could post on /mu/ "this is terrible, I don't like it >:("
these are always the biggest shitposters, they listen to a critically acclaimed album once and feel the need to shitpost the instance they're done with it
>>
OP here. I guess I'm a big fucking idiot for starting this thread. I just scrobbled the songs and realized there's only two tracks that are absolutely obsolete and in there for some sort of pretentious, validating inaccessibility.

Those tracks are Radio Prague and Hi Baku Shyo.
>>
>>63668799
Radio Prague is the only track I don't understand. I think that's the point though. Quite spooky t b h.
>>
>>63668831
there is no way to know if the op is someone like this or someone that has listened to the album a dozen times and is familiar with the genre.
posters on /mu/ just love to assume that anyone that doesn't like what they like lacks the crucial knowledge needed to appreciate it. however it is equally likely the those people know very little and have a shallow appreciation of the album.
>>
>>63668767
Hot onion.

Ironically in this scenario, you're the horrible/boring one if you're so simple-minded that you can't understand a band as direct and visceral as This Heat.

It's not hard to get, man.
>>63668831
This so hard.
>>
>>63668861

Do you know what Hi Baku Shyo refers to? It's fitting, coming after A New Kind of Water.
>>
>>63668331
>Where's the drop

You just hate 80s music, it's not unusual, pleb
>>
>>63668918
No I don't. Boy, am I ignorant today, eh? Still a really fucking boring track though.

I prefer their S/T and Made Available. I think I was upset about this only because I was listening to the album on my way home from an exam that I flunked, and my earphones fucking suck at that.
>>
I think the only track I'm not SUPER fond of is Triumph and that's only because certain elements sound more dated than the rest of the album. But even then it's not a bad track at all.
>>
File: This Meme - Shitpost.jpg (787 KB, 1600x1600) Image search: [Google]
This Meme - Shitpost.jpg
787 KB, 1600x1600
>>63668331
>>
>>63668861
Gimme a top five albums, OP. I wanna get a feel for your taste if you're so comfortable holding such cynical and jaded attitudes towards this music.

Surely you're a being of higher order thinking and art appreciation for taking the piss out of an album so highly regarded.

Keep in mind, the core of your argument as it stands is
>it's terrible >:(((
>I don't like it >:(((
>it's bredendious >:(((
>>
>>63668899
Damn, sorry I offended you with what I believe to be a completely uninteresting album to me. Pretty terrible when you're offended by someone else's difference of opinion to yours especially when it comes to music.

You're right, the album isn't hard to get at all. What I find "hard to get" is why it's so praised. Is it because the majority of people are forcing themselves to like it because it's put on the highest pedestal on /mu/? Is it because it's an English rock band that the college kids up the street probably never heard of, making you feel much superior to their typical Joy Division listening tendencies? Granted, I only listened to the album through twice, but both times it felt like 3 hours because I couldn't get into it.

Sorry our opinions are conflicted. You and your superiority get bent though.
>>
>he fell for the This Heat meme

hahahahahahaha
>>
File: 9843.png (108 KB, 400x381) Image search: [Google]
9843.png
108 KB, 400x381
>>63669096
>pleb loser gets called out on his bad taste
>"WHAT DO YOU LISTEN TO?, WHAT'S YOUR RYM?, GIVE ME YOUR TOP 5?"

everytime..
>>
File: 1452801226817.gif (3 MB, 300x241) Image search: [Google]
1452801226817.gif
3 MB, 300x241
>>63669124
>when you're offended
Stopped right there.

You really have no concept of what discourse even looks like, do you? Are there any identifiable characteristics of the music that you can denote as being bad or unenjoyable or are you just going to continue to espouse futilistic, elementary dialogue of "it's boring, I don't like it >:(
>>63669195
>frogposter
There it is.
>>
All of This Heat is terrible. It's poseurcore for a reason.
>>
>>63669230
Disregard stale meme.
https://rbt.asia/mu/thread/S55590635
>>
>>63669226
> >:(
Is that supposed to be my mood? Anger? Are you a psychic?
>>
Wow. This thread is a mess.
>>
>>63669365

Confrontational OPs rarely go anywhere good.
>>
>>63669288
It's a whiny pissbaby kind of anger that you think
>[popular album] is terrible LOL
is conducive to substantial discussion.

I told you specifically what I like about the album. Why can't you do the same for what you didn't like? Do you have autism? Have you literally never listened to music before? Are you not a native English speaker or something?
>>
>dat cold war nuclear nostalgia..... comfy as fuck under the bed covers waiting for oblivion

Love it
>>
blindly praising or condemning this or any "great" album is wrong. the problem with the general userbase of /mu/ is that they are either completely uninformed or possess a cursory understanding of some musical topic yet affect a deep understanding and all-knowingness and anyone holding a contrary opinion is, in their eyes, a philistine who either cannot understand or has not done the necessary background research to understand. when, in reality, both parties are more often than not equally dumb as rocks.

just my two cents.
>>
>>63669124
Holy cringe. Did literally anyone read all of this?
>>
>>63669226
Discourse in music is fucking lame man, and if you're used to it, it comes down to the fact that you're used to not comprehending that someone can have a differing view of something, specifically music, than you thus creating debates and arguments.

I never said the album was bad as a whole. Some tracks are horrible however including Triumph that not only leads nowhere, but sounds like an orchestrated piece that has "uninspired" written all over it and is passed off as experimental.

A New Kind of Water and Paper Hats were the songs I remember having to check to see what the track titles were when listening because I liked their sound. They were different compared to the rest of the style the album takes on because they had substance, sounded weird without it being weird for weirdness sake and were memorable in their techniques.

As for the rest of the album besides the two songs I mentioned? I'd have to go back and listen. It wasn't memorable to me. All I remember was about more than half of the album sounded like just screams and pots being smashed arrhythmically.
>>
>>63668487
Repeat is like fucking nothing
But my memory of it is almost non-existant other than the fact that it has the 24 Track Loop loop and like two tracks that are like the b-side of Health and Efficiency
>>
>>63669511
thank you. One should consider /mu/ only a place for recs and source of new music. After all, it's just sound; some of that sound will speak to certain people and not so much to others. Arguing over something as subjective as music is a huge waste of time really.
>>
>>63669665
but it's fun
>>
>>63669665

That's what >>63669226 and >>63669124 were going on about. Who cares? Shut up and enjoy (or find better) music. Christ.
>>
File: 1426614741661.jpg (28 KB, 447x444) Image search: [Google]
1426614741661.jpg
28 KB, 447x444
>>63669563
Let's evaluate your reply by phrase in which you take a particular stance on the music. What I'll be quoting is the meat of your reply.

>Some tracks are horrible
>leads nowhere
>sounds like an orchestrated piece (???)
>"uninspired"
>liked their sound
>wasn't memorable
>sounded just like scream and pots being smashed arrhythmically

Four fucking paragraphs and the only substantial analysis of the music you espouse is
>sounded just like scream and pots being smashed arrhythmically

The bulk of your argument just boils down to that you didn't like it and you're upset for some reason. Just move the fuck on if you can't even fucking remember the content of the album, you sperg. Honest to God, what the fuck is wrong with you?
>>
File: le_hayward_face.png (431 KB, 757x463) Image search: [Google]
le_hayward_face.png
431 KB, 757x463
"Wow"
>>
>>63669757
not him, but your tone isn't exactly non-aggravating. I'd feel intrigued to argue only to put you on the spot. You're pathetic actually.
>>
File: 1453309939517.jpg (23 KB, 240x251) Image search: [Google]
1453309939517.jpg
23 KB, 240x251
>>63669831
It's a public forum, m8. You're free to take whatever opinion you want whenever you want. You don't have to feel intrigued. Replying with regards to an attempt to engage me without taking a stance is equally a waste of time.

YOU'RE pathetic.
>>
>>63669757
How would you describe a piece of music you don't like? You either sound vague, too specific or you give a P4K reason that over analyzes something to the point you spiral into talking about the Fashoda Incident.
>>
>>63669913
I mean, it depends on the music and what I receive is trying to be accomplished.
>>
>>63669913
could you in general give just three qualities you don't like in all music?
>>
>>63669944
So lets say the music is This Heat and the album is Deceit. What is trying to be accomplished and what are you actually hearing?

Apparently my reasons of the music sounding uninspired (lazy), and having no specific direction (which would be the same as having no specific accomplishment being met) are not being comprehended by the album praisers...BUT, my more specific reason of why it didn't sound good to me (screams and the sounds of pots being smashed in a disorganized fashion) make no sense as to why I don't like the album either.

My confusion as to why people don't simply understand when someone says they don't like a style or overall sound of an album, specifically Deceit: "I don't get it." Full circle!
>>
>>63669077
probably this
>>
>>63670028
1. Music sounds so easy, it devalues music as a whole. Example: someone taking a Beiber song, slowing it down by 600% in a freeware program and releasing it to the public. Now times that by hundreds of YouTube videos by self proclaimed artists and DJs.

2. Sport over style. Making music into a sport by going the total opposite direction and over complicating the music by becoming too technical with instrumentation. It becomes less substantial at that point, when the album is just 40-60 minutes of guitar and keyboard masturbation.

3. Replication. One band, album or scene that doesn't differentiate from each other but strive to sound the same or keep the style pure by not doing anything different within the music, much like most raw BM, early 90s local punk bands and amateur jazz.
>>
>>63668861
>Hi Baku Shyo.
but I enjoy this track, anon
>>
>>63670255
Then you get the album and we can all laugh at op for being a gay pleb together
>>63670050
FAG
>>
listen to it again
I disliked this album the first two times I listened to it
>>
File: kentridge-complainta.jpg (23 KB, 376x279) Image search: [Google]
kentridge-complainta.jpg
23 KB, 376x279
>>63670050
I mean, it's what, forty or fifty minutes of material, yeah? If you watched a film the same length, would you be able to point to particular details you liked and didn't like? There's character arcs, set designs, screenwriting, dialogue, angles, lighting, composition and how they come together to form an aesthetic realm in which the events take place.

You could just say "I didn't like it" for the sake of brevity in casual small talk among friends, but when you're posting to a public forum tailored for discussion of music, the expectation is that you be able to construct a cohesive thesis for specifically what you didn't like and why you didn't like it.

What I like about Deceit is the wide selection of instrumentation it depicts in its free improv meeting a more lighthearted, pop style. The emotional character depicted and from which the songwriting obviously took place was done so with respect to a diverse array of texture tactile stimuli. The atonal and often polyrhythmic element of the composition that lends it its 'experimental' tag accelerates the sensation of reckless ecstasy and latent paranoia.

It works in the dimensions of being fun while being an intellectual challenge and striving for acoustic complexity at the same time. That's why I like it.
>>
>>63670346
If I was watching a film I felt indifferent about, I wouldn't take much of it at all besides remembering the scenes and dialogue I particularly liked and the scenes or plotlines, acting and everything in between I didn't like.

Of course you liking an album in a medium you love (or at least I'm presuming) will inspire more passionate and personal thoughts towards it than someone who doesn't like an album in a medium they love.

What I don't like about Deceit, reiterating what I have already said, is the lack of composition in half of its tracks. While more conventional songs like A New Kind of Water and Paper Hats utilized a variety of effects on particularly pleasing progressions, the rest of the album as I recall is ultra repetitive and only backed by one rhythm throughout an entire track as the vocals are only propped up by the stale guitar tones and additional makeshift percussion.

While you hear reckless ecstasy, I hear an imitation of psychosis, which they do a pretty damn good job of.
>>
File: 1434408563229.jpg (134 KB, 558x720) Image search: [Google]
1434408563229.jpg
134 KB, 558x720
>>63670695
This is a more cohesive argument. Though I still disagree with your main points, this is more substantial to contest the aspects I mentioned having appreciated in my reply.

It'll become easier as you continue to listen to music, but for your own sake, stop watching the fucking Needle Drop. It really shows in your public dialogue.

I'd challenge you to revisit Deceit sometime in the future once you have more music consumption under your belt.
>>
>>63670695
Is repetition not a composition tool? I think it's a perfectly valid when used correctly - it's not inherently negative.
>>
File: frogposter5.jpg (7 KB, 250x228) Image search: [Google]
frogposter5.jpg
7 KB, 250x228
>>63668703
You don't play an instrument do you guy?
>>
>>63670970
Not him, but I love repetition. ESPECIALLY in guitar and percussive music. I agree with you that it's a valid composition tool when executed properly.
>>
File: The_2de74d_2130342.jpg (59 KB, 500x471) Image search: [Google]
The_2de74d_2130342.jpg
59 KB, 500x471
>>63670858
Nice generalization in the middle there. Really adds to your credibility factor after your arguments.

I make my own conclusions when it comes to music, which I can't say much for most I see debating others' opinions on here.

It's funny how you bring up a guy who gives media acclaimed albums just as much praise, while I initially came hear to just say I didn't get the whole amazement of such a highly praised album as a whole and how a few tracks were mediocre, and you go above and beyond to defend it while trying to generalize my view on music just by one fucking opinion. You deserve your own corner of applause just for that.

My only advice for you is to listen to everything. Try not sticking to one style but broaden your selection. It sounds like your stuck to albums that others say are good for you and form over analyzed opinions. While this is not an argument I usually get into, I have to say it was fun. Thanks. In all honesty, yeah I'll probably give the album another listen soon. It's still in my library.
>>
File: 1452800021833.jpg (17 KB, 545x545) Image search: [Google]
1452800021833.jpg
17 KB, 545x545
>>63671106
HOLY PLEB, Batman.

Yeah, if it's any mystery, I DO challenge my self to listen to music that makes me uncomfortable. The credibility factors is in the argument formed, and seeing as how me and other anons literally just finished spoonfeeding you how to counter our stance, I find it ironic that you would even mention this.

Again I emphasize; stop watching the Needle Drop.
>>
>>63671193
Damn your quick on the responses and pics. Pro 4chan user I see. Maybe smoke with the windows down starting tomorrow and finding your first real job, aye bud.
>>
File: 1452803273778.jpg (2 KB, 125x112) Image search: [Google]
1452803273778.jpg
2 KB, 125x112
>>63671269
>ignorant to how to appreciate music
>ignorant to how to engage in discourse
>becomes belligerently upset when this is pointed out
>PRO 4CHAN USER HERE LOL GET A REAL JOB
>jobjerking
>current year
Your TND comment section is showing again.

I come from a very affluent family and have a very well paying job. I live a very comfortable life; you don't have to worry about me, anon. B~)

Stop watching the Needle Drop.
>>
File: cruisetard.jpg (18 KB, 557x505) Image search: [Google]
cruisetard.jpg
18 KB, 557x505
>>63671355
LOL.

tfw you're 16 and have to make up a faux life summary just to justify your overusage of a troll site.

Open the windows. Let the smoke out and give someone a call, they're probably worried sick about you!
>>
>>63671453
>>63671269
kek you reached a whole new level of pathetic. This entire thread was a waste of time. Peace out.
>>
File: 1453280478386.jpg (4 KB, 107x125) Image search: [Google]
1453280478386.jpg
4 KB, 107x125
>>63671453
I dunno anon, sounds like you're projecting. I'm not sixteen. You realize you need to be eighteen or older to post here, right? Need to get off your ass and get a job already.
>>
File: IMG_3776.jpg (354 KB, 1404x1414) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3776.jpg
354 KB, 1404x1414
https://lookmaze.bandcamp.com/ This album seemed relevant for some reason
>>
File: 1438493025540.jpg (410 KB, 1105x1079) Image search: [Google]
1438493025540.jpg
410 KB, 1105x1079
>this thread
Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 18

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.