[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I am a 20 year old who just started playing guitar. I picked
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: classical guitar.jpg (207 KB, 1400x892) Image search: [Google]
classical guitar.jpg
207 KB, 1400x892
I am a 20 year old who just started playing guitar. I picked up a Cordoba C7 after hearing it be played. I have a background in violin.

I picked up the classical guitar because Spanish-style guitar is what attracted me to the instrument in the first place, and I really love fingerstyle. However, I would also like to someday soon transition to playing "normal" acoustic rock type stuff as well on a steel string guitar.

My question is this: will it be easy for me to transition to playing acoustic rock and fingerstyle songs on a regular acoustic guitar after having been classically trained?

I don't know how it is with guitar, but with violin, it's usually easier for a classically trained violinist to begin playing fiddle jigs than for a fiddler to play Paganini's Caprice No. 24.

I've had answers ranging from "you'll be able to play other styles of songs immediately" to "it'll literally be like playing another instrument" so I'm just trying to clear things up.

>tl;dr
Just started learning guitar, I want to get a foundation in classical training and fingerstyle before moving onto "normal" guitar stuff. Is this feasible?
>>
of course it's feasible, just play the damn guitar
>>
>>63656090
Well I just wanted to know before I dedicated too much time and effort into classical only to discover later that I essentially have to relearn the entire instrument all over again when I want to play a different style.
>>
>>63656104
Stick to one style retard. Don't spread yourself too thin.
>>
>I don't know how it is with guitar, but with violin, it's usually easier for a classically trained violinist to begin playing fiddle jigs than for a fiddler to play Paganini's Caprice No. 24.

it's the same
>>
>>63656120
Why so aggressive? I see guitarists playing all kinds of different music styles. I simply want to learn classical/Spanish and then someday in the future play more soft rock/acoustic rock type stuff.

That doesn't sound like a tall order considering my friend who plays classical guitar also plays in a rock band and sounds great doing either.
>>
Don't start off with one genre. Play as much different stuff as you can. You'll learn way faster than way, and then when you're "pretty good" at it you can start focusing on one thing or another.
>>
>>63656185
You just need to learn chords for that rock stuff. Not hard.
>>
>>63656185
everyone on this board is a cunt anon, do what you want,
but to answer your question, it will be somewhat hard at 1st, but youll find similarities from classical playing and be able to adapt to normal playing quite easily after a month or so
>>
>>63656185
Playing rock on guitar is fucking easy even if you haven't ever learnt classical guitar, so do it

Also, does anyone know any good website to learn classical guitar?
>>
>>63656180
>>63656236
>>63656238
Alright, that's what I was hoping to hear.
>>
>>63656037
Well... If your goal is to play acoustic/fingerstyle soft rock, you can start learning that shit now, no need to be spending time on classical training.

Classical guitar is very technical. Usually, guitarists with classical background are playing metal, or any variant.

Bottom line is, just play wtv the fuck you feel like, it's more important to be engaged in the activity than to be planing the future and be bored all the time, practicing something you think you need to know before having fun. Always maintain balance between fun and learning. Set small objectives, achieve them and go on to the next ones. If you get bored with something, make a break, practice something else, always with some objective in mind and not jusrt mindlessly doodling on a scale you have already practiced before.
>>
>>63656319
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind, but I'm not learning classical because I think I "need" to do it to learn other styles or something. I genuinely do love classical guitar music, and especially Spanish-style guitar. It's just that I also want to branch out in the future and I wasn't sure if classical techniques were completely foreign to "normal" guitar or not.
>>
>>63656336

In that case, that's the spirit, go for it.

Check these pieces if you're interested, just youtube or google them:
Romance de Amor
Alma Espanhola
Choros n.1
Sounds of Bells
Lágrima
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.