[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does mu like Australian music?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mktpQV__2fY
>>
>>63655937
Some of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFT7nG3-fSA
>>
Well I like the Dirty Three
>>
midnight oil are good
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QzH4KOf9Bss
>>
>>63655937
Like almost everyone here likes The Avalanches
>>
>>63655937
I remember seeing a JBHifi sticker saying "Short Stack sucks" back in the day, which I always kinda thought was funny

Fuck Short Stack though
>>
>>63656057
based aussies
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAFv2NEE-_c
don't really like their idea of """""returning""""" australia back to the abbos though
>>
>>63656321
I remember back in the day Short Stack were really hated, I guess they still are but in a Deader Than Disco sense
>>
>>63656057
That riff is still the best thing Australia has ever gifted the world
>>
>>63656330
>tfw my dad used to play that song on guitar all the time when i was a kid
>>
Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, The Birthday Party, Boys Next Door the list goes on...
>>
>>63655937
I like the Go-Betweens
>>
AC/DC and the Men Down Under are my favorite shitposting-core groups
>>
File: a2872998574_16.jpg (62 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
a2872998574_16.jpg
62 KB, 700x700
Severed Heads are one of my favorite acts of all time so I'd call that a big yes.

The Interpreter
https://youtu.be/PVHAS1lcDXY
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PK3O4chRhMg

I fucking love Dead Kelly, only people from QLD will really get it though, people from NSW/Vic tend to miss out on the straight-forward humor and get mad over it.
>>
i like the church
>>
>Does mu like Australian music?
>posts garbage no one here likes

That being said:
- Love Junkies
- Tired Lion
- DZ Deathrays
- Violent Soho
- Tame Impala
>- Anything at bars in Melbourne, Gold Coast or Perth
Perth in particular has loads of promise because it's so inbred musically, like late 80's, early 90's Seattle. Nobody gets gigs or attention outside of Perth because it's extremely isolated so they all listen to each other. Every band is influenced by Tame Impala, mainly because they're mates with Tame Impala in some way.
Melbourne bands are good, but the scene's a bit to clique orientated.
Gold Coast/ Brissy for hardcore bands by the sounds of it (with obviously Parkway Drive)

I imagine Hobart, Adelaide and Auckland is good too, but they're a bit small.
Sydney is shit now because lockout laws killed everything.

Old stuff:
- Nick Cave/ The Birthday Party
- The Scientists (funnily enough from Perth and their sound was called grunge until Seattle stole it - with Mudhoney influenced by them)
- Hoodoo Gurus: I rate them highly, ultra sarcastic to the point it's cringey (but done that way on purpose)
- In Betweeners
- Regurgitator (for dated electro punk)
- Cold Chisel (/mu/ probably hates, I fucking love them)
>>
>>63656330
That's Peter Garrett the singer, he actually became a terrible politician and now people hate him for being overly PC.
>>
>>63656744
Qld is pretty based.

But those lockout laws will kill your scene (which I like)
>>
>>63656892
>>63656920
>lockout laws

Anyone care to explain?
>>
>>63656920
I know man, the hardcore/metal scene here suffers enough already, this may be the final nail in the coffin.

>>63656943
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeMRLC1F6yM

This is the best way to explain it
>>
>>63656943
Basically, clubs are forced to close early to combat drunken violence.

Perth warned both Sydney and Brisbane that it would ruin their city. We tried it decades ago, stopped quickly. Our city became 'dullsville' to easterners and Perth became a stale environment. Now it's too chaotic almost, probably in reaction to the laws.
Now our scenes flourishing better than ever. Small local gigs are packed, bars everywhere in the CBD, even in the suburbs.

Sydney used to be the place for bands, now it's a place for elderly to get lost in.
>>
>>63656982
>I know man, the hardcore/metal scene here suffers enough already, this may be the final nail in the coffin.
What about the small town scenes like Byron Bay and Sunshine Coast? Will they be affected?
Please say no... I love your scene.
>>
>>63656900
lmao everyone always laughs at him now because of how he used to dance
>>63656943
most clubs/bars get shutdown in sydney after 3am and they stop serving drinks at 130am
has basically killed off all the nightlife, especially for /bleep/ kinda stuff
>>
>>63656982
That cunt is funny, but god damn he's PC sometimes.
>>
>>63656892
parkway drive is not hardcore dumbass
>>
>>63656999
Yeah man Perth is killing it at the moment with the local scene, so many fucking rad bands, saw Ratking on Saturday night and they were mad.

>>63657007
Hard to say at this point man, I sure hope the Brisbane venues survive, places like The Lab are REALLY suffering at the moment and I just really hope they can pull through, would suck to see one of the few AA venues go.

GC should still be going man although it's been a while since I've been down there, Mackay recently got a HUGE kick in the ass and after nothing for months had as bunch of bands come back.

We'll have to see what happens, if it's anything like Sydney every Brisbane band will be in my thoughts and prayers.

>>63657037
Yeah he's a giant leftist faggot but he gets the point across.
>tfw no more Chasers
we need them now more than ever.
>>
>>63657061
it's more punk than metalcore to me to be honest.

The riffs aren't that over the top.
>>
>>63657100
>we need them now more than ever.
Last time I watched them(on another show) they were PC too.

Anything on ABC has been strangled by PC producers. It was the best channel, it's now almost the worst channel on TV.

Also if I were in a band in Brissy I'd move to Melbourne. Yeah it's a liberal hellhole but at least they support bands.
I find it funny that WA's liberal party is investing in the scene, while in NSW/Qld it's destroying the scene. I lucked out becoming an adult here at this point in time. That being said - crazy meth problem here, and lot's of homeless from the mining bust (which didn't pay tax in the end, the fuckers)
>>
>>63656982
>>63656999
>>63657014
Thanks for explaining. That's every night where I live in the states.
>>
>>63657185
What state?

LA and New York are obviously the centre point of music at this point in time.
>>
>>63657244
Colorado... Bars all close at 1:30.
>>
>>63657252
But you even have weed?
What the fuck?

People here all smoke because it's cheaper than booze (again, another problem from lockout laws). My parents don't even care because they know booze is ridiculously expensive here.
>>
>>63657167
its the Murdoch/LNP underhanded influence
>>
Personal favourites:
- The Cat Empire
- The Jezabels
- Kate Miller-Heidke
- Boy & Bear
- totally claiming Pendulum
- Gypsy & the Cat
- Yothu Yindi
- Martha's Vineyard
>>
Could an Aussie band ever make it big time success internationally? I guess we had AC/DC and to a lesser extent Tame Impala achieve international success.
>>
Not necessarily, but we're often the springboard for US or UK acts to launch internationally.

E.g. then-Double J was like the first major station to play the B-52's.
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.