[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/prod/ - Music Production General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 24
File: lunga.jpg (88 KB, 551x545) Image search: [Google]
lunga.jpg
88 KB, 551x545
Previous thread: >>63623049

3AM Eternal edition

Production Resources:
>Pastebin - Under construction
http://pastebin.com/pYGCLu6q

>/prod/ wiki
http://mu-sic-production.wikia.com

>/prod/ IRC
http://www.rizon.net/chat
Channel: #/prod/

Remember to use clyp.it to post your tracks/WIP: posting a clyp.it is just providing sound for a question, posting a Soundcloudlink is making self-advertisement and the thread doesn't need that.
>>
Have a bump my man
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWVJkokLbzQ

my idol
>>
Looking for the anon that recorded this for me in the last thread.

https://clyp.it/3chzrdy5
>>
File: boss-sp-303-dr-sample-474444.jpg (173 KB, 773x1124) Image search: [Google]
boss-sp-303-dr-sample-474444.jpg
173 KB, 773x1124
Is this good for sampling anything or is it more geared towards drums/percussion?

I got one a little while back and its pretty fun to mess around on but I don't really know how to use it to its fullest potential
>>
>>63650174
different guy here
I saw that a couple of threads ago as well and came up with some cheesy shit too
https://clyp.it/qat4uc2c
>>
>>63650234
Damn, I like yours more. Where can I get ahold of you? You got a soundcloud or something?
>>
how important are vocals in a song. All my tracks sound empty, but is it just because it's missing vocals?
>>
>>63650584
neat.
bounced to stems from the beginning of the track:
http://www42.zippyshare.com/v/vIKvX0Ai/file.html
>>
File: atvm.png (256 KB, 624x2964) Image search: [Google]
atvm.png
256 KB, 624x2964
>>63650846
I'm not srue how important vocals are in a song
pic related sort of relevant
>>
Hey anyone got any good side chaining tutorials for Ableton 9?

I'm currently struggling with my setup, and want to see some other methods out there.
>>
how do i isolate vocals bros? i currently use ableton live (lite) and audacity and i want to strip the instrumentation/drums out of various tracks so i can sample just the vocals.
>>
File: ableton.png (26 KB, 403x194) Image search: [Google]
ableton.png
26 KB, 403x194
>>63651258
easiest method is best
>>
>>63651444
Seconding this.
>>
>>63651575
That's not really what I meant m8. I know how to side chain in compressor. The goal is to set multiple channels with different side chains all being routed simultaneously.
>>
>>63651444
>>63651626

Look up phase inversion.
>>
>>63651772
well it totally depends on the situation
I think routing in ableton is pretty straight forward, just make sure you use racks so you have all that different entry/exit points for your signals available in the routing lists
>>
if i switched from FL to ableton, what would the benefits and drawbacks be? ive been using Fl for 6 years now
>>
>>63650174
>solo
this is awful, it's in the wrong key
>>
>>63651575
set it to RMS, otherwise you could get clicks
>>
>>63650950
Cool, thanks bud. I might want you to add some more stuff later on in the track, so do you mind giving me a way to get ahold of you?
>>
>>63651882
>>63651772
>>63651575

What do you guys use for you ghost channel? Do you use a drum rack or a instrument like operator?
>>
>>63652177
I know. That's what I was gonna tell him lol.
>>
>>63650234
>>63650950
Damn, dude. After listening to the stems, you really came through. I'm impressed.
>>
File: Miami_Vice_Blues_Glass.jpg (24 KB, 385x477) Image search: [Google]
Miami_Vice_Blues_Glass.jpg
24 KB, 385x477
>>63650174
Give that synth a break, it's too much, don't have it play every single note. Otherwise nice track!
>>
>>63652665
Which synth? I'm assuming you mean the lead-y one that plays pretty much through out. Or do you mean the bass pluck? This is only half the track though, I was planning on making the second half pretty different.

Thank you though! Any other suggestions?

Here's what I have so far, minus the guitar:
>https://clyp.it/hwgpb1j4
>>
Ok prod, what are some tips to making Chillwave? Also how do I get sounds like Owl City and the Postal Service.
>>
>>63652346
>>63652530
glad you can make some use of it, I had fun with it and like that tune
>>
>>63652787
sorry, i meant the lead one. Maybe let it have a few rests. It sounds too nervous if you ask me.
>>
>>63652812
oh, mail field is called options now and doesn't work.
neat
throw me something there if you want
spschanadress(at)outlook.com
>>
File: don-johnson.jpg (28 KB, 260x299) Image search: [Google]
don-johnson.jpg
28 KB, 260x299
>>63652854
actually, as i listen to it again, it's more about the mixing, bass and melody share too much of the same frequency range, maybe roll off some of the treble of the bass? Or you just let it be if you like it as it is…
>>
>>63652795
>chillwave
I might can help. I also make stuff like this:
>https://clyp.it/gem2g44l

>>63652812
>>63652870
I'll shoot you an email if I need something else. Thanks a ton, man!

>>63652854
>>63652940
I haven't properly mixed it just yet. Still structuring it and what not. You think I should cut out a little of the mid frequencies from the bass so the lead has more room? And I kinda like that noise-y treble on the bass pluck... Lol should I cut it out?
>>
>>63652870
Oh, and FYI, man. What I sent you is just half the track. I still have to make a whole second half.
>>
Hey guys.

Started studying music production in college a few months ago. I currently have an ok-ish sound system (2 speakers + sub), a room that isn't acoustically treated in any way, a few guitars and an amp, Cubase Pro 8.5 and a keyboard that can also be used as a MIDI controller (USB-only, 5 octaves, pitchwheel, modulation button, velocity sensitive but no after-touch) and currently no way of recording anything.

I'm about to finish this semester, and by next semester I'll have a lot of tasks to do on my free time. For that purpose I can either do tasks at home, or use my college's studios.

I'm debating on where should I spend my first money - is there a good guide on that? I'm leaning towards getting an audio interface - I'll probably need 2 inputs (one of them being Hi-Z/Inst. - would love to have the Line/Inst. switch), a headphone jack, USB (not FireWire), phantom power capability and any other features you guys would reckon are necessary for starters.

Thanks in advance
>>
>>63653380
you definitely should have a decent interface
>>
>>63653380
>2 speakers + sub
Speakers as in monitors? Or just normal ass speakers? You're gonna want monitors for producing since they give out a flat response. Or just some good headphones (that should also give out a flat response). Also an interface as the other guy said.
>>
>>63653447

Regular as fuck PC speakers, though I heard getting good monitors in an untreated room like mine wouldnt be a smart first move.

Do you guys have a good idea of interfaces that include what I asked for? Scarlet 2i4 comes to mind.
>>
>>63653507
>I heard getting good monitors in an untreated room like mine wouldnt be a smart first move
Headphones then.
>>
>>63653519
Thanks man. I thought about the good ol' ATH M50s, any othets in the same branch i should try?
>>
>>63653549
DT770
>>
>>63653112
>I haven't properly mixed it just yet. Still structuring it and what not. You think I should cut out a little of the mid frequencies from the bass so the lead has more room? And I kinda like that noise-y treble on the bass pluck... Lol should I cut it out?
maybe do some automation?

btw, that is something i made, excerpt from a live analog session
https://clyp.it/njy01p1b
>>
>>63653507
>Scarlet 2i4 comes to mind
it's good and has what you need.
>>
>>63653634
>maybe do some automation?
Automation on what exactly?

>https://clyp.it/njy01p1b
Kinda reminds me of Figurine. I dig it. Just needs to be mixed better and have a few more things going on to keep it interesting.
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYkvOYvlnaI
>>
>>63653696
>Just needs to be mixed better and have a few more things going on to keep it interesting.
thanks a lot! i know, it's a mess, i am still figuring out in which direction i will go with this.
>>
>>63653715
No problem. For some reason, to me, it sounds far away. That's my main gripe.
>>
>>63653725
too much delay, reverb and compression i guess.
>>
Are there any forums/communities you can suggest for a guy like me learning about music production?
>>
>>63653773
gearslutz
muffwiggler
>>
>>63653891
thanks
>>
>>63653773
Anywhere but here.
>>
>>63652126
benefits
>new, possibly refreshing, way of writing/producing, that will inspire a few ideas

drawbacks
>you will pretty much have to start from the very beginning , as far as learning how to use ableton live, this shouldn't be that difficult though, thanks to youtube/internet videos and manuals
>you will be lumped in with those self righteous "ableton is literally perfect" fags
>>
>>63653549
MDR-V6 or the other MDR which is blue, I think its mdr-705or something
>>
>>63654078
>Self righteous ableton fags
I bet you're the only one who sees or thinks this in these threads. It's in your head. So what, my man. Why even waste time talking about it? Don't take the baiter's bait. Ignore the DAW warriors.

That said; how does it feel to use obsolete software?
>ableton master race reportin in
>where my ableton kangz n sht at?
>>
>>63654353
seriously, this is the type of shit that makes us (ableton live fags) look bad, just like beginners #chillbeat producers make fruity loops look bad
>>
How in hell can i import several audio tracks at once into Live without them being warped and having the tracks automatically named after the audio tracks?
>>
>>63654519
turn off automatic warp in the settings and rename the tracks as you would anyway
>>
>>63654684
thanks
>>
Any trap/rap fags in here?
>>
>>63655698
Yep, do mostly future bass/trap stuff here for my own releases. Need help with something, f a m?
>>
>>63655766
Yeah, but I JUST got in bed haha. Give me a minute.
>>
>>63655766
Alright, so I need help with the hook on this track. I can't seem to come up with another synth or anything that makes it stand out as the chorus. This is gonna have vocals on it eventually so don't do anything that's gonna clash with them. I provided an instrumental version and a version with a random acapella for context so you know where the verses and hooks are.

With vocals:
https://clyp.it/5lsh0m2f

Without vocals:
https://clyp.it/dhenrzr1

BPM is 124
Key is something weird. Main synth is playing C#, D, F, F#, and G (not in that order) so you'll have to figure that one out. And obviously the version with the vocals, the hook isn't in key so bare with me.
>>
>>63655766
>>63655857
>>63656092
I get out of bed for THIS? Goddammit, /prod/.
>>
finishing my lp, wish me luck faggots, where do i go promoting it?
sending shit to blogs before the release didnt quite work out one year ago when i released an ep
>>
is there a huge difference between hardware synths and soft synths for synthwave production
>>
>>63652434
Before LFOTool and when I make non 4/4 stuff I just took a kick and turned the decay down, making it sound like a "tok". Gives you more control with the SC Comps Attack and Release.
>>
>>63656092
Sorry for taking long to reply, was getting breakfast. I think some detuned saws with low pass filter automation to get movement would make for a good synth that could really leave an impression like the main on. I mean, opening up near the end of bars and what not. Brass patches always work too, especially if you make use of pitch bends.

>>63656483
There is if we're talking analog. With hardware digital it's more about the workflow.
>>
>>63652434
In FL I just make the curve on Fruity Envelope Controller and link it to a bus with Input*1,6 as the formula.
>>
>>63653773
Gearslutz maybe full of grumpy old assholes but it's a good resource. Tends to service the recording/engineer kind more, don't expect to learn how to make beatzzz there.

Mat Zo has launched a forum called TheProducersForum.com, haven't checked it too much, but I guess it's alright.

Prepare to learn most of producing stuff by grinding for several months in your DAW.
>>
>>63650226
I've never used one but four tet uses one in his live set: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KIvnLBF7vU
>>
>>63656545
Do you think for the purposes of synthwave creation soft synths and emulations will suffice......I don't have the cheddar to shell out for a ton of hardware
>>
does anyone have any keywords i can search for if i'm seriously interested in learning techniques for producing some death grips-esque instrumentals?
>>
>>63656545
>Sorry for taking long to reply
Haha, it's all good. I was just fucking with you. But yeah, I'll try that out. Anything else you'd suggest, just in general? More variation in percussion, different samples, etc?
>>
>>63656849
The structure is good, but yeah, it could use more variation in percussion. What I usually do is make the whole skeleton of the track and then start kind of chopping the MIDI clips once every two bars to remove elements at times and then adding rolls and similar stuff, just keep it interesting without ruining the groove.
>>
>>63656961
Alright. I'll wait to fuck with the percussion until after I get the actual vocals on there so I can make the rolls and fills compliment the verse, ya know?
>>
>>63657012
Yep. When they arrive, try make use of silence (start/stop dynamics) at times to emphasize lines and you got yourself a banger.
>>
>>63657112
I usually do. But I don't do it until the vocals are tracked.

While we're on the subject of trap, what do you think of this personal track of mine?
https://clyp.it/40myjvop
>>
>>63654353
>kangz
fuck off /pol/, no one likes you
>>
>>63657229
people complaining about harmless /pol/ memes are worse than the actual racists t b h
>>
fuck it senpaitachi im going to start shitting a shit ton of beats everyday

hopefully this will lead to rapid progression or i'll get very good at making shitty beats quick
>>
>>63657517
Do it senpai

That's what I've been doing since Friday.
>>
Hey /prod/ I've been doing research into the type of music I want to make
Mostly retro-wave and 80s stuff

I've noticed that neatly every retro/synth wave producer does everything in DAW and there's minimal hardware

Is there any advantage to getting some hardware synths or should I stick with a good pad and midi keyboard and synth emulations
>>
Need some suggestions for headphones that are around $75.
>>
>>63657748
If you gonna make synthwave, GET SQ8L. Seriously. It's free. It's really difficult to learn how to use though.
>>
>>63657787
Thanks.....I'll use any free options I can find...I don't mind buying a good daw and vsts
>>
File: 1452553459991.jpg (239 KB, 380x545) Image search: [Google]
1452553459991.jpg
239 KB, 380x545
https://clyp.it/4l4njyz4

does the tone change too much at about 3/4 through the song?
>>
>>63657748
Hardware synths are great for workflow reasons, no crashes/bugs, etc even when they're digital. Actual analog stuff is its own beast, way different from software: you can make software sound closer to analog, but it's just not the same.

Hardware synths are also not that expensive at all if you buy used and aren't targeting the famous shit. You can produce without them, but it's a lot more fun with them. I have currently 8 hardware synths and see no reason to leave it at that number.
>>
hey /prod/ dumb question but I just downloaded ableton live lite (I used mainly logic before) and it came with all these instruments, how do I delete them? I have my own collection of drum machines and synths and I don't want these taking up precious space on my hard drive
>>
>>63657812
I can give you a huge pack of retro drum machine samples, if you want em.

I'm not gonna suggest any DAW in particular though.
>>
>>63657820
I've thought about going mostly hardware...picking up a piece at a time and making my own synth samples and using an mpc or electribe for live playback and looping and using a daw for recording and mastering

Probably less headache in the end the more I think about it
>>
>>63657835
nigga these take up like a gig
how small is your hard drive that it's an issue?
>>
>>63657775
bump going to guitar center late, help guyz
>>
>>63656436
Try anonymous production threads in Mediterranean blowing league video sharing websites
>>
>>63658078
MDR-v6
>>
>>63657820
Also I don't have the greatest amount of space for a lot of hardware

Pretty much my other reason for going all software
>>
>>63658436
I literally sleep surrounded by them senpai
>>
>>63656740
Of course it will suffice. Take it at face value, my man.

Any f#a#m could have all the expensive hardware synths and daws in the world but if he sucks at making music and doesn't know anything about it, it won't do him any good. Now imagine that the guy that has been grinding on FL or ableton for two years, who, in the process, learned how to use a synth, acquired a pretty good understanding of diatonic harmony and knows how to carry tension on a track from beginnings to end, is suddenly handed all that gear.

Who do you think will be able to make better use of it?

Although that wasn't my original point... My point is that you don't need expensive hardware synths to make good synthwaves. The free stuff, such as synth1, crystal, kamiooka, tyrelln6, tal noisemaker, lokomotiv, etc etc can do that and much more if you can invest the time into it.
Speaking about retro synthwave, did anyone catch that 'digital synthsations' deal a few weeks ago? They were giving away 200$ worth of soft synths for free if you used the code 'free ds'. I managed to get it and I love their emulation of the ds90 (I think that's the one). Made a retro pulsing pad from a organ preset. Pretty based. Haven't tried out the other ones.
>>
>>63656845
Digital clipping
>>
>>63656436
post your music, it's probably not even record deal worthy.
>>
>>63656845

With that kinda sound the line between knowing the rules so you can break them and breaking the rules because you don't know them is blurred as fuck anon - just turn knobs til shit starts to scream.
>>
i got tired of making hip hop & trap beats..
what kind of music should I make now?
>>
>>63659121
JAZZ
>>
>>63648897
https://soundcloud.com/javier-dreisziger-dominguez
>>
>>63659386
Read the last line of the OP, please.
>>
https://clyp.it/yf5gfkct

I was working with some really rough samples what are your thoughts. just basic synths patches(massive,gladiator,fm8), few ableton default instruments.
>>
>>63657835
get a bigger HDD
>>
>>63659386
KYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>>
What do you do when you just can't inspire yourselves? lately i just can't seem to transform my ideas into songs, and makes me wonder whether i should continue making music or not.

Do i search for more VSTs and better gear in general?
Or do you watch/listen to stuff to inspire yourselves?
Could you recc me some inspirational music/videos/reads?
>>
I was thinking mixing a drum pad with an XY controller might work pretty well. Has it been done yet?
So you could control, say, the cutoff frequency by hitting more to the left or the right and the resonance by hitting more to the front or the back.
>>
>>63659927
Learn a real instrument and play it. Not in-DAW either, just on your own
>>
>>63660059
i think the quneo might do what you're talking about

if not, korg's usb drum pad controller has an xy controller separate from the pads, you could play pads with one hand and do the xy with the other
>>
>>63657488
>hating on paint-by-numbers edginess is worse than being an actual racist
lol no
>>
today's cat jam

surprise! it's trash

https://clyp.it/w2vpsdr3

thanks everyone
>>
What's the best way for making a knob change to different values rapidly, squarish, creating an arp-like sound?
I thought about using a keyboard controller and use an arp on it, but fl 12 seems to no longer have a keyboard controller plugin.
What's a good vst for that?
>>
>>63661349
i forgot to mention
the knob is a filter obviously
>>
>>63661161
produce your own patches?
>>
>>63661349
i dont know about vsts but in ableton you can map parameters to a note range to do that. does fl have that same ability?
>>
>>63659755
>smokes, lets go
Instantly closed the tab
>>
>>63660854
i've already been playing guitar & bass for more than 10 years,
but i'm trying to learn playing the piano because i find it easier for finding chords & harmonies.
I just can't find inspiration or a style to indentify with right now, don't know what to do
>>
>>63661395
yeah ableton it just so much more consistent with everything
I don't know it used to work with a keyboard controller plugin but since that's gone for some reason..
>>
>>63661349
Link to controller, use a mapping formula with steps.
>>
>>63661474
yeah that's nice but it doesn't really give you a whole lot of control
but nevermind I'm actually the dumbest person alive the fruity keyboard controller plugin is right there I'm just blind af
>>
>>63661462
Dude, I'm on 12.1.3. and I still have the keyboard controller. Maybe you have it hidden for some reason?
>>
>>63661543
see
>>63661536
>>
>>63661380
huh?
>>
>>63661439
I dunno if this'll help, but one obvious suggestion is trying a lot of styles. And I failed that one for a while just because the tools/skills I needed for practice weren't maximally convenient.

Organizing, making shortcuts and templates and presets and all that put a lot of underutilized and underpracticed options right under my fingertips and helped me learn them much faster. So then the styles that relied on those options opened up to me and I ended up enjoying one of them a lot.
>>
>>63657859
Sure man. Thanks
>>
>>63657859
The KB6 collection?
It's pretty damn big.
Unwieldy big, actually. I should really get around to cleaning the shit out some time.
>>
Man, nothing teaches you the importance of skills like finally having money for the tools
There's fuck all I could buy that would actually help me.
Lessons, maybe.
>>
>>63656531
>Before LFOTool

Could you explain this please. I'm not sure on the context.
>>
>>63662378
Bro, best method of teaching yourself is to buy something like Massive and only work with that. After you've made a few tracks using ONLY Massive, you'll have it down so good, you can move onto your next plug in.

My biggest issue starting out is that I wanted every VST plug in I could fine, and became overwhelmed trying to use them all at once.

It's about those baby steps.
>>
>tfw the 60s and 70s sucked here.
I'm giving up on hiphop.
Digging through the dollar bin sounds fucking fun, but here the whole box isn't worth a dollar.
>>
>>63662437
Oh, I'm learning alright. Just feeling disillusioned with money. Music-wise, anyway.
>>
>>63659386
Followed, nice shit senpai
Sharing it with my friends so they follow too
>>
>>63662324
>The KB6 collection
If anyone has it, can you share it?
>http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5755401
>>
>>63662263
http://www.mediafire.com/download/495fm04ggaiu3h3/KB6.rar
>>
>>63663638
>>63663706
>>
>>63662551
Where is "here"? And why not just download music to sample if you don't live near any good record stores?
>>
bump from the grave
>>
How do i make a reese?
>>
>>63665071
What the hell is a Reese?
>>
>>63665071
>>63665129
Resse bass, commonly heard in Drum 'n' Bass.

You can make one by overdriving a couple of detuned saw waves, popping a light flanger on the end, and tweaking the filter to get "that sound".
>>
>>63665071
Can't remember off the top of my head. Have a bunch of saved reese style massive presets if you want them. Tonnes of YouTube tutorials. I don't make any electronic anymore.

>>63665129
It's a type of synthesised bass sound.
>>
>>63665129
Bass in this song https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJ-uXuyKMLY
Other exmaples are Skreams remix of Going in for the Kill / Shadow Child - So High. It's used alot in Drum and Bass
>>
>>63665202
Yeah I'd love them if it wouldn't be too much hassle
>>
>>63665214
>>63665202
>>63665163
Oh so it's literally just the sound of two slightly detuned saws. Kind of silly to give it a special name like that.
>>
>>63665250
Sure thing let me just get to a computer and then find them. There's 1000s of presets saved
>>63665268
Pretty much. Some of mine are heavily modulated thougg
>>
>>63663706
A guy on Reddit cleaned up this pack and reduced the size by quite a lot
https://mega.nz/#!rxZkHJ5Q!XRCB1CzJuIGNaeQCR7KhrdK-nm2Riii1FKnbGuyI0pg
>>
>>63665340
Maybe I should post what he changed.
>Files that had a bit rate of > 24bit 44.1k have been re-encoded down to exactly 24bit 44.1k
>.aif files have been transcoded in to .wav.
>Files that have been prefixed or suffixed with a packname or creators name have been truncated to just a descriptive name of the sample ** There are some files that require descriptive names to be created. These are the directories with files called 1.wav, 2.wav, 3.wav etc... I can't be bothered to do this.
>Un-necessary files have been removed from the directory structure. There were some artifact .rar's and .txt's that I've done away with.
>Un-necessary intermediate directories have been removed from the structure.
>All of these changes have reduced the size of the sample pack by a whopping 300MB.
>>
>>63665310
Thanks man
>>
Finally did something I'm proud of

https://clyp.it/tak0senq

Tips, praises, critiques? How would I master this?

I wanna change the ambient cello to something but I'm not sure what yet
>>
>>63665607
>>63665250

https://mega.nz/#F!Yd80WSjD

right, that's the ones i could find, there's got to be more, i just never organised the folders and most things are marked by numbers so yeah, would take weeks. those are the presets that came up when i searched "reese"

so enjoy. at least mega is free.
>>
>>63665638
>https://mega.nz/#F!Yd80WSjD
sorry i fucked up.

here's the link. not used to mega keys
https://mega.nz/#F!Yd80WSjD!6E-mR-cw2C-ixtUa6MnhEA
>>
>>63665268
Speaking of detuning. Does anyone know a VST that would let me detune oscillators not by a percentage, but in constant Hz? Preferably with decimals.

Like, you know how detuned saws pulse with interferance and the speed changes by the note? if you have two saws at 440 and 441 Hertz, the interference will pulse at 1Hz. But go up to 880Hz with the first saw and the second one will scale up to 882Hz and then the interference pulses at 2Hz.
But if you always put in a gap of 1Hz, the interference would be the same regardless of pitch.

Wikipedia says this type of tuning of paired notes gives gamelan its constant shimmer.

Yeah, chorus is kinda like that and there's a million ways to use LFOs to similar effect. But I'm curious about synthesizing things this way to begin with.
>>
Hey fellow /mu/ /prod/ucers heres some tracks/compositions I made as part of a portfolio I made for entrance to school. The musical styles range between classical, jazzy, oriental, and game. Tell me what you think.

https://clyp.it/dksddvhr

https://clyp.it/pkf4elk5

https://clyp.it/iz2ts0cq

https://clyp.it/yxxzawi3

https://clyp.it/3jejjg0z

https://clyp.it/uxesokql
>>
>>63665715
one of them and just pitch the audio around as you want
>>
File: $_12.jpg (32 KB, 500x367) Image search: [Google]
$_12.jpg
32 KB, 500x367
about to buy one, but my hands are sweaty
can /prod/ talk me out of buying a strymon big sky
I make techno/bleeps/house/ambient
>>
so hi
>>
>>63665787
Pitch is logarithmic.
>>
>>63665816
so what? use a pitch tool that has the control you want
>>
>>63665787
oh it's missing an important word:

render one of them*
>>
Every time I load up Ableton now, it doesn't recognise my MIDI keyboard is active until I take it out and plug it back in again

This never used to happen, just this week out of the blue it's started to ignore it, anyone know what's up here?
>>
>>63665896
make better music
>>
>>63665931
>nicepenis
>no nice vagina
:(
>>
>>63665896

check ur Power options in the control panel

make sure USB suspend is disabled
>>
https://clyp.it/phschsop

anyone else own a korg volca beats? I've been messing around with mine to make it do new things
>>
>>63665796
as much as I like strymon (I have el capistan and love it) there's much better digital reverbs out there for the price and more importantly there's no point in having algorithmic reverb as a hardware unit anymore. of course an analog reverb from a plate or even a damn reverberation chamber sounds super nice and is a totally different story, but when it comes to digital reverbs there are the big names out there that just work better and since algorithmic reverbs use close to no processing power anyway you're way better off using lexicon pcm natives, eventide blackholes and whatnot in form of plugins and just fiddling with their much more versatile parameters on a midi controller instead of spending all that dosh on a little stompbox dsp doing a worse job
>>
>>63665763
if you are trying to get a job as the guy who makes the background music for the nintendo mii editor then yea, this portfolio is perfect
>>
>>63665763
>https://clyp.it/dksddvhr
Really good vibes. I like it.
>https://clyp.it/pkf4elk5
I'm not feeling this.
>https://clyp.it/iz2ts0cq
Groovy.
>https://clyp.it/yxxzawi3
Yucky piano sound. Cute melody.
>https://clyp.it/3jejjg0z
Okay I guess. Not enough is happening.
>https://clyp.it/uxesokql
I don't really care about the melody, but it's fine I guess.
>>
>>63666242
>there's much better digital reverbs out there for the price

could you name some pls?

the reason I want a verb box is for live shows
>>
>>63665763
>first
Boring desu. Also, EQ the top off the loop a bit, it's distracting. Or add other sounds with less LP.
>second
It's like half the band couldn't make it to the gig. The chords are okay, but they're just chords. Then there's the sparse section and god is it sparse. Boring.
>third
I like it. Feels like I'm shopping for TMs and pokeballs.
>fourth
I quite like some of the harmonies here. Still kinda boring. Add more dynamics and maybe a bigger range of notes.
>fifth
Still boring. Does every calm song evoke a game over to you? More of an epilogue to me...I think? Maybe not? It's pretty vague and I worry about your command of emotion as a composer.
>sixth
I like the hook, but the 0:14 to whatever part just felt off-key.

Production is meh to nonexistent. At least normalize your volumes.
>>
>>63666282
I already named two
what do you do with a single reverb engine in a live setting?
>>
>>63666315

tight reverbs yo. Some of my gear has built it reverb. This would be for vocals/guitars/percussion/whatevs

alright I'll check those out
>>
>>63666315
>>63666282
not 100% related but i still love the sound designer on logic. i just keep adding downloaded impulses taken from digital rack reverb units. it's glorious.
>>
>>63666211
I have one too, but it sounds nothing like this. What exactly did you do to it?
>>
I LITERALLY CANNOT STOP SUCKING COCKS
>>
>>63666390
convolution reverb is the shit, the only downside is the obviously limited amount of tweaking you can do to the IR
but it's very usable if you suck enough different and nuanced presets out of the hardware
>>
>>63666444
take a break and listen to some music you haven't listened to before
>>
>>63665071
with chocolate and peanut butter
>>
>>63666505
oh yeah of course. redline reverb is also a good choice.
>>
File: 088.jpg (35 KB, 493x387) Image search: [Google]
088.jpg
35 KB, 493x387
>>63666535
>>63666535
>>
>>63666505
>>63666571
also it's great for me being able to find loads of detailed reverbs for specific rooms and such due to the sound design/foley work i tend to work on. it's bloody handy to find a "small wooden shack" reverb when your person of interest is talking or moving in a small wooden shack.
>>
>tfw can't make beats
>tfw can only work with samples
How do I fix this? All the beats I make suck ass. My sample stuff is good tho
>>
>>63666792
your post makes me want to track you down and spit on your forhead
>>
>>63666792
learn some music. broaden your listening lists. i produce as in engineer etc, however just play about with patterns, see what sounds good, try to do things like get your kicks how you want them, maybe make a shuffle on the hats and make something change every now and then, keep it interesting.
>>
>>63665632
Oh yeah it's generic hip hop/trap shit.

It'd be nice to get a trained ear over here to tell me what I need to do next.
>>
>>63665632
>https://clyp.it/tak0senq
>>63667012
i mean. it's far from what i would listen to. however, the drums sound trashy.

this is a good thing. trashy drums can sound more open. I'm not keen on the processed vocals but that's probably just something to do with the genre and myself.

Next i would have a very spacial break, maybe 16 bars of minimal short sounds but with some large spacey reverbs, maybe even a drone. then a drum fill that goes into the next section after that.

i'd give the cymbals on the drums maybe a little more high end, if you can't eq it then maybe use an exciter gently to accentuate the high end, just needs a little bit of sparkle. sorry man, can't help much more, i'm drunk and not a trap/hiphop guy.
>>
>>63666889
why you gotta be like that senpai?
>>63667006
thanks
>>
Yeah I was wondering where all the hip hop heads went in this thread. I haven't done any EQ or compression. I was just proud I could actually throw some decent sounds together.

The choir you hear are my first attempt at chopping up a sample too. Feels good man.
>>
>>63667012
Take each of these sentences as a separate thought and at face value.
Don't change the ambient chello. Bring the staccatto voice notes down about a fifth, maybe even an octave. They're so high that they sound phony.

Your kicks are muddy. Add another snare hit or something in between the two kick hits so that it carries the ryhtm better. Maybe do it every two measures or from half of the song onwards to keep/maintain/build interest.

The beginning is interesting. It's weird that you say it's trap, it doesn't have triplet high hats.

The rest is good. I like the chant pads. I like'm alot.
>>
>>63667012
Also
>looking for 'trained ears' in /prod/
ayy lmao, ishygddt, etc.
>>
i'm assuming this >>63667289 is a response to >>63667198 ?

well dude, i've finished my dissertation and yeah, i have more work to do but i'm happy to chat about either helping you go through mix if you want it or just mixing it if i find time.
>>
okay so this is something a buddy and i put together a few years ago, i just dug it up and thought, fuck it's not shit, opinions gents? is there anywhere i could send this to maybe get some publicity or whatever?

https://clyp.it/ln3p32kq
>>
>>63667315
>>63667386
Thanks for the help guys. I have some ideas on how to clean it up a bit. Plus I'll have YouTube on hand. I'll post final results if I get done with my schoolwork at a decent time.
>>
Do you ever compress an entire song or just certain parts?
>>
>>63667698
Both.
>>
>>63667698
DUDE THRESHOLD LMAO
>>
>>63667583
I would get it mastered first. Sounds muddy in certain parts.
>>
>>63667698
you should compress pretty much every channel you do, then do buss/group compression, master buss compression etc.

when i master i use a multi-pressor too.
>>
>>63656558
What about in Ableton?
>>
>>63667583
This is really good.
Definitely needs some work on the mixing and mastering.
That snare is awful.
Add some bass and a better pad, maybe some strings.
>>
Is PureData worth learning?
>>
How big is your sample collection?
Samples that you've collected, not samples that came with your DAW.
>73GB, 133,115 files and 4,333 folders.
>>
>>63667749
>you should compress pretty much every channel you do
no, you shouldn't
do it as needed instead
if a signal doesn't need touching then don't
don't get stuck with formulas, doing the same things on two different songs won't work
>>
>>63667749
What are the perks of a multi-band compressor? I can imagine its purpose is mainly to be used in the mastering phase of the Track Development Life-Cycle(TM)?
>>
>>63667851
well as soon as you feel the need for different compression settings for different parts of the spectrum of a signal then why not use a multiband compressor, it's not at all only for mastering
>>
>>63667844
I think he means for making it LOUD
>>
>>63667894
:O!
le gasp
i wish I wooda known that earlier
fug

I thought it was some mysterious magic that only mastering engineer wizards knew how to wield. I admit I am a bit embarrassed.
>>
>>63667818
cool cheers, i mean, that's a 3 year old song. it was a song i did with a friend before we moved away, our last edm song each.

we both are paid to mix/engineer now but yeah, it's an old track needs work.

>>63667836
yeah man, i used to use it at uni, it isn't as good as say MaxMSP, buddy of mine used maxmasp and Puredata to do 3d sound with an occulus rift. I used PureDataExtended to make it so that i could control Sylenth1 using a leapmotion device. it's fun but maybe not got that many applications.

>>63667844
well yes you should. most of the stuff i record in studio needs compresion. as in probably around 90% of the stuff i compress, it needs compression. obviously yeah, if a signal doesn't need it then you should leave it. notice how i said "pretty much" every channel. stop nit-picking or trying say stuff like "do it as needed" when i literally said you should do it "pretty much" as in, there's a margin where you wouldn't use it.

most stuff you would though. though you're right, not 100% everything needs it.

>>63667904
no i don't, balanced signals

>>63667851
it's great for mastering but it's not only for that, it's quite good to use on a bass guitar for say, though you would normally take around 3 channels when you record a bassist (as in 3 channels per tracking so maybe 2 mics and a DI)

it's just useful for compressing specific frequencies of a track.
>>
File: image.jpg (80 KB, 583x425) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
80 KB, 583x425
From your experience, should I go with the sp-555, or the sp-404?
>>
>>63661161
bump

come on guys, I need feedback. Is there anything worth salvaging?

>really I just want the (You)s
>>
>>63668000
You should go for the sp-d3ez
>>
Just spent 2 hours getting xenharmonic mapping using Scala (not the programming language) to work with Ableton on OSX!

woooo
if any1 has any questions abt it i'd be glad to help them out

rly i just wanted to brag :p
>>
>>63668152
I'm quasi-interested in the process, but unsure of what I would do with the information.
>>
>>63668000
pretty sure the 555 can do everything the 404 can and more
>>
>>63668093
Thanks for the insightful post
>>
You're never going to make it so why even try?
>>
>>63669122
just a question, i've only been in /prod/ for a few weeks. been a 4channer since around 2009 though, however, in prod do you guys see production general just as a electronic music? because i'm mainly an engineer and i'm paid for some of my engineering work, do you guys see success as "making it as an electronic producer"?

just curious? drunk as balls and wondering if i'm in the right general.
>>
What's the best synthesizer out there?
>>
>>63669336
no such thing. depends on your uses. when it comes to softsynths, i personally love sylenth1, many people would swear by massive and fm8. Sylenth1 is a banger though. I'm working with the Buchla 200e at uni though, it's hardware difficulties and a real mental fuckup to work with.

Moog synths are glorious.
>>
File: Oh-boy.jpg (98 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
Oh-boy.jpg
98 KB, 1000x1000
>>63669336
>>
>>63669201
I see success as making music that others repeatedly listen to and doesnt sound low quality. However success is up to you what it means.
>>
>>63669420
okay, yeah man, that's a fair assessment of success. i could agree with that.
>>
>>63669446
Also yeah this would be the closest general for you i think.
>>
>>63669502
okay cool thanks, i mean, i stopped "producing" electronic music around 2 or 3 years ago, i just engineer bands, singers etc. mix and master stuff when people pay me to. can't argue with £20 an hour at the moment. will be charging more in the next few months.

sweet. thanks. having just finished my dissertation i am looking for a general to call home, i want to spend an hour or so a night contributing to the /prod/ wiki. i'll start tomorrow after work.
>>
>>63669551
senpai what do I need to know to mix and master stuff? cut everything below 40 and after 12 and put ozone on top of it? pls I need money
>>
How am I supposed to make sample packs? I honestly don't even know where to begin.
>>
>>63669681
it's not as simple as that. people spit out general "rules" like, cut all below 50hz and compress shit hard. that's true for some things but many things are genre dependant, like you wouldn't cut the sub out of a dubstep track like you would out of a funk track.

what you need more than anything are some good monitors, trained ears, an understanding that everything in a mix has it's own place and such. You also need to understand that each project you work on will be slightly different. there's no templating for mixing or mastering individual songs, sure you can have a general attitude and method to your work but you need to be adaptive and able to work with different pieces.

>>63669754
all the samples you create should be bounced out at the same volume, sample rate etc. Have a sense of uniformity to your work. Expect to have to make hundreds of samples before your sample packs are worth a damn. no offense, you just need a lot of samples for people to be attracted to it.
>>
>>63669827
ok I think I may have that general idea how do you get work? do you work at a studio? or freelance?
>>
https://clyp.it/ico3drf3

I made this little loop for a game, I'd appreciate mixing advice, I found finding room for an acoustic guitar to be especially hard
>>
>>63669929
currently i'm working for a musical company that does freelance recordings weekly for schools and private clients. i previously worked in a small studio and i'm looking to get back into that. buddy of mine is head engineer at a studio in the south of england and is reccing me to his boss to get me hired there.

i would start by looking for local bands that have material needing a good outside ear to mix, apply to local studios, even just for "intern" positions. Even small things like offering freelance recordings and mixes on facebook to ignorant bitches that think that "I JUST BOUGHT A £30 GUITAR MUSIC IS MY LIFE TAKE A SELFIE I'M SO DEEP" seriously, these people can be a cash cow. i got my current job through knowing the right people unfortunately for you. just keep talking to people and spreading your name. something will come eventually

i really want to get back into a studio so that i get constant work each day.
>>
>>63670056
>https://clyp.it/ico3drf3
cut more low end from your claps. there's a little bit of mud in the acoustic that is lacking some nice high end sparkle but most importantly, body and weight. the slide guitar fits nicely, it's a little too loud though. What was that acoustic recorded with? it's lacking the size that an acoustic should be taking up. If you could re-record it with a nice condenser i would. 2 tracks at least, panned seperately, widen the sound up a bit. it's all too mid focussed at the moment.
>>
>>63669405
The 200e took a beautiful design and made it needlessly complicated, I plan to never one one. Otoh, building a 100 or 200 series clone would be cool.
>>
>>63670146
Oh yeah I agree completely. It's overly complicated for what it is. Giving certain parts of it stupid names like "the source of uncertainty" or "the barbershop pole" is just fucking retarded. You can tell it was made by an acid freak
>>
File: op-1.jpg (124 KB, 900x370) Image search: [Google]
op-1.jpg
124 KB, 900x370
Is the OP1 a live performance toy or is it a serious studio piece of gear?

It looks fun as fuck to mess around with, but does anyone here that owns it can tell me if it's that easy to work with in a recording environment?

I'm also looking at the Elektron Octatrack, but the pricing and the complexity is putting me off.

thanks
>>
>>63670237
I actually like the name source of uncertainty, it does what it says it does. I don't think Buchla came up with the barbershop pole though, that's just the type of phasing it is.
>>
>>63670132
Thanks a lot for the tips. The acoustic was recorded with a condenser, a CAD M179 but I probably mic'd it pretty poorly. I also don't know if that's what you would consider nice.
>>
>>63670286
I see both pieces as totally different tools. The OP-1 is like a portable workstation, you do everything on it. The Octatrack is something I'd rather have hooked up to other sequencers that are synced together.

OP-1 also looks handy if you're playing around with people using acoustic guitars
>>
>>63670056
Maybe mix the melody down some. I feel like if I was playing a game and this was looping forever it'd drive me insane. Other than that, I like it for what it is.

>>63661161
pls r8 m8
>>
if you had made music on cracked fl studio in the past and had it released but just now bought fl studio and all the plugins youve ever used, could you still be sued for using a cracked one at one time?
>>
>>63670492
mmm alright, I guess I'll have to read more on the OP-1. I already own an Analog Four so I'm kinda familiar with the elektron workflow

in terms of just the sampling manipulation aspect, which one would you personally choose?

I was also considering getting the Machinedrum UW and combining its limited sampling features with those of the OP-1....decisions decisions
>>
>>63670548
Of course they could sue you, but I'm not sure how they'd bust you.
>>
>>63670548
Yep totally, they can so prove you used fl to make your work.

Copyright and torrenting barely gets prosecuted
>>
>>63668511
It's for messing with non-chromatic scales. I noticed Richard D James did it on SAW II, and apparently further (http://web.archive.org/web/20141112205122/http://noyzelab.blogspot.com.au/2014/11/syrobonkers-part2.html)

Going to incorporate them into my debut a bit lol
>>
>>63670744
How can they prove an unlicensed copy was used? And couldn't you just give a vanity producer credit to any schmuck with a licensed copy?

>>63670811
Is it all or nothing when using a xenharmonic scale? i.e., can it work in conjuction with chromatically-based tracks or does everything tend be built from whatever xenharmonic scale you're using?

got any samples?
>>
>>63670890
I was being sarcastic, they cant prove what software you used to make your music.

Also fl wont prosecute, most software companies dont since you torrenting actually benefits them in most cases
>>
>>63670062
do you think somebloke with no background with in music engineering can apply to a stdio? I have had a couple of interviews for an "intern" position but had no luck
>>
File: ESXorMPC.jpg (113 KB, 968x595) Image search: [Google]
ESXorMPC.jpg
113 KB, 968x595
which of these should I add to my setup?
I mainly sequence dark techno/noise and industrial punk stuff

what are you experiences with either the esx 1 and mpc 1000????
>>
>>63671013
lol, I was wondering

>>63671098
some bloke with a gift for music, maybe. Reznor landed an assistant engineer (and janitor) job with no degree in music.
>>
>>63671163
If you want a more hands-on approach to sequencing, get the ESX-1. You can't beat the Electribe workflow for in-the-moment creation.

If you want menu diving but lots of flexibility when making tracks and sequencing a bunch of instruments, get the MPC.
>>
>>63669092
D3EZ NUTZ
>>
>>63671215
im going to link you to a song ok maybe not today cause its not finished but remember me I'll our call sign will be "handsome blokes" ok? :)
>>
>>63670890
this one is a good example of a conventional way to use xenharmonic scales: sounding "just off" the normal tuning.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqtFRbRWn90

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mO0AE6_XiA
some take different tacks. it's still the same musical pattern, our ears noticing frequency ratio patterns making things sound good, but not taking the mathematical shortcut we call the diatonic scale. You can tell that it is very nearly chromatic, but in many places.

"to me a synth/plug in or whatever that doesn't allow you to change the tuning scale is like only having one demo song that you have to use in every track, or painting on a canvas and having to always use the same background colour ,drives me nuts that most people have not woke up to micro tuning yet, i predict 80% of all electronic music will be microtonal in a few years., i fuckig hope so anyhow"
--richard d james
>>
Yo, turntable heads, I need some guidance:

I have an AT PL-120 (essentially a knockoff Technics SL-1210) and I'm looking for a headstock/needle that'll be ideal for sampling. Not simply digitizing though, I want to be able to spin forward and reverse without damaging the needle or my vinyl.

Price is essentially no object, but something at $150 or below would rock. The cheaper the better, but I'm also aware that you get what you pay for.

Thoughts?
>>
the absolute madman
>>
>>63671296
I will monitor. Verification will be "dapper tones"

>>63671324
Yeah, the first track sounds very atonal.

If I didn't know any better, I wouldn't think the second one was xenharmonic. I picked up a guitar and tried to play along and it became very apparent.

The quote reminds me of the feeling I sometimes get of feeling "stuck" in a key or scale.
>>
File: crank.jpg (111 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
crank.jpg
111 KB, 1280x720
Are there any good youtube production memers like Crank Lucas?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9u-fm4e7dZM
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 24

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.