[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Tried really hard to like this but I can't. What's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (182 KB, 658x658) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
182 KB, 658x658
Tried really hard to like this but I can't. What's the big deal?
>>
tumblr - the album
>>
90s top 40 funneled through a weird canadian female

i like it i grew up in 90s so i feel what she was going for
>>
there is no big deal, it's a pop album catered to indie kids who read pitchfork
it's a regression from her previous work, which wasn't very good in the first place

don't fall into the trap of thinking shit like this is worthy of serious listening or critique, it's stale cotton candy in musical form
>>
I'll help OP

For new listeners to Grimes, I suggest you listen to this album 8-10 times before it's subtle yet complex musical genius shows. When it clicks you won't put this album down for a while.
>>
>>63647921
because you have your own taste in music

i hate it when people are confused about not liking albums, you can not like something, it's not weird at all.

personally i loved art angels, but i have my own taste, and other people have their own taste too. nothing odd about not liking something that's popularly liked
>>
>>63647921
Not even Butterfly?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpSZxfHBPWA
>>
>>63648263
just listen to Carly Rae Jepsen instead
>>
>>63648263
woah that was a pretty shitty song anon, thnx
>>
Everyone has to be nice to Shrek the Stupid Retard or you're sexist
>>
OP here.
Maybe I should elaborate --this album wasn't just hard to like. I listened to it twice through, once this morning, once about an hour ago, and both times I was left wondering why anyone at all likes this album. What I'm trying to say is: it's bad. At least, it isn't good. For what grimes is trying to sell (I guess something to rid people of the shame of liking pop music, which I kind of respect) it does a really bad job. It's bloated. It's embarrassing and cringey. I assume grimes thinks she's being subversive, but what's so subversive (or good) about sounding like outdated top 40 music on a broken car stereo?
>>
I didn't care for it at first but it grew on me, after I saw the video for Kill v Maim I really started to love it.
>>
>>63648870
OP again..
I guess I'm being kinda harsh. I just get the impression that she's so entrenched in the "indie" perspective that she thinks this pile of jingles is new grounds for music
>>
>>63648263
That was god awful
>>
i liked the singles off of visions and some of the other tracks from her previous works, i tried listening to her latest and the first thing that popped off was the insane amount of autotune...not even as an effect but like to actually correct her pitch. and the rest of the album was the same, i just couldn't really get passed that halfway through. she didn't use it in her previous albums unless it was for an effect. i don't know, i'll try listening to it again at some point but that was seriously off putting, even though the rest of the production reminded me somewhat of visions meets 90s house/techno samples.
>>
>>63650480
Which songs had autotune? All of them?

I must be bad at noticing it.

Still, though, you don't listen to Grimes for her singing ability. It's the instrumentation and effects and overall creativity.
>>
>>63650639
>creativity

lol
>>
>>63649002
I think you just have to try to ignore the "top 40" / radio song structure to appreciate the songs themselves.

Do you like any of her older albums?
>>
>>63649002
>>63648870
You're right though OP. This album is really cringey and it's just not that good. It's defenders are mainly waifufags who find Grimes attractive and Pitchfork drones.
>>
File: RIP.jpg (17 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
RIP.jpg
17 KB, 500x500
4AD has really gone to shit since Ivo sold it, hawking this tumblr-girl tripe. smdh
>>
File: 1455431199731.jpg (43 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1455431199731.jpg
43 KB, 640x480
It's pretty bad desu.
>>
>>63650679
Yeah oblivion was decent. Definitely some moments in their that I really liked, nothing spectacular though
>>
>>63651936
*there

My bad not a degenerate
>>
>>63647921
it's boring 90s pop

grimes is still hot tho
>>
I want to see her progress on what she did with Visions. Not this shit.
>>
/pol/ here redpill me on grimes
>>
>>63652141
fat weebs and p4k dicklickers like her bc of either autistic dreamgril fantasies or the fact that they can't enjoy anything than the most accessible top 40 sounding pop but want to pretend that their taste is "unique" and diverse
>>
>>63652141
indie electropop with heavy 90s influences, appealing to quirk lovers
>>
>>63648240
half of /mu/ threads (all of them shitty) would be over if your sense applied to this board
>>
Don't disrespect my memewaifu, she's quirky as hell goddammit!!
>>
>>63652141
same shit as the 80's. dress up catchy synth melodies with a tad of weirdness and neuroticism.
>>
it's a great record
normies dont like it because of shitty music taste
>>
>>63647921
sounds like guitar hero
>>
>>63647921
saaaaaaaaaame
>>
the track order, the sequencing is problematic and some songs arrive somewhere underwhelming because of it
i can appreciate it more if i pull it apart but it needed more filler
>>
Flesh Without Blood is coo, Realiti is good but the single mix was better. The rest was meh to me
>>
>>63647921
>Tried really hard to like this but I can't. What's the big deal?
Art Angels is VERY CATCHY. What the fuck is wrong with you, you don't like catchy music?
>>
>>63648870
You don't like synthpop, that's your problem. If you don't liek that you'll never enjoy Art Angels.
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.