[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Okay niggers: Explain to me why this kind of music wasn't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: jamir.jpg (501 KB, 1500x1344) Image search: [Google]
jamir.jpg
501 KB, 1500x1344
Okay niggers:

Explain to me why this kind of music wasn't accepted earlier in America.

I'm an Amerifag, and I started getting down to this shit as soon as my mom started listening to it - which was as soon as this album came out - but clearly Jamiroquai and other European electronic music didn't start getting big in the US until 7 or 8 years ago.

What the fuck? I'd forgotten about this album until about a year ago, rediscovered it, and my gentle jesus...it's fucking huge!

Why the fuck wasn't this shit bigger earlier? I feel like Traveling Without Moving is timeless itself, but this music should've been over here a lot earlier than it was.
>>
>Explain to me why this kind of music wasn't accepted earlier in America.
wut

this album was hugely popular on release
>>
international hit single "Virtual Insanity"

It also entered the Guinness World Records as the best-selling funk album in history.

do i really need to keep going
>>
>album goes platinum in the US
>why isn't it popular
>>
Did they really not have another huge hit until "Canned Heat", which was what...2006 or 7? Their style of electronic and funk was certainly never "mainstream" until at least recently, the last <7 years at least.

I guess what I'm asking is, why aren't these guys as big here as they are in the UK? Where's the discrepancy? I get that there are some bands that make it big in Britain and not here, but why didn't these guys make it big(ger) than they did here?
>>
>>63630110
I mean another huge hit -here- in the US, not anywhere
>>
Virtual Insanity and Canned Heat were all over the radio on release

Napoleon Dynamite made the latter single a bigger hit

America is one of the biggest sources and consumers of electronic music, you nob
>>
oh shit thats the dude with that cool music video
>>
>>63630004
Whatever happened to him?
>>
hmmmm these guys sound like Majid Jordan. I can't defend these guys anymore they are trash. it's fun seeing influences though lol
>>
>>63630123
Yes, but have they always been? Especially for JK's style of electronic?

All I can remember hearing on the radio growing up was fucking Pete Gabriel, Phil Collins, Steve Winwood (still love him) and a bunch of soft rock fucks). Never remember hearing a god damned thing like this, then again I was relegated to what my parents listened to on the radio whenever we traveled - at home we listened to a much wider variety of genres.

Was this kind of thing bigger than I remember it growing up?

>>63630146
Who, Jay Kay? I believe he's still rich as fuck, cranking out music as he has been for the better part of the past 3 decades...dude's a cool motherfucker
>>
>>63630162
None of that shit you just listed is on pop radio stations. Acid Jazz (the style they usually play in) just has a bigger scene in England. Bands are almost always more popular in their home country too, just because they focus on marketing in their country.
>>
>>63630206
I'm not saying it IS on radio stations, I'm saying it WAS when I was growing up, and when THIS album would've been released; i.e., the early 90's. I don't remember hearing anything like it on the radio back then.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.