[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the musical equivalent of this picture?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 7
File: Alzheimer's.png (708 KB, 851x706) Image search: [Google]
Alzheimer's.png
708 KB, 851x706
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJhtPCcQNCA
>>
>>63628514
this or empty bliss
>>
>>63628488
Going from listening to Scott 4 to listening to The Drift
>>
disintegration loops
>>
>>63628514
>>63628613
these are both so harrowing to be listening to at 22
>>
Death grips.
>>
>>63628488
: (
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSDBxDcq8dY
>>
>>63628651
pretty accurate actually
>>
File: david_sylvian_manafon.jpg (197 KB, 550x493) Image search: [Google]
david_sylvian_manafon.jpg
197 KB, 550x493
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EkeYmQMVIQ
>>
>>63628668
this is just depressing
>>
>>63628679
hoping bottomless pit will be equivalent of the last pic. Completely unrecognizable and out there. Really interesting de-evolution their sound has went through (not in a bad way, their new sound is better)

then again I probably overthink everything they do because I'm a pseudo intellectual contrarian according to /mu/ because I think GP is their best album
>>
>>63628736
>>63628668
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpTpxbnBWYM
oh wow, the difference
so many things to say abt this...
>>
>>63628488
Autechre's discography.
>>
File: louis wain.jpg (754 KB, 2600x1700) Image search: [Google]
louis wain.jpg
754 KB, 2600x1700
>>
>>63628701
god this album is so pretentious
hey let me get a bunch of artists together to make great music then recite crummy poetry way too high in the mix and ruin it
>>
>>63628858
So basically he transcended space and time?
>>
>>63628736
>In the late 1980s, Berry bought a restaurant in Wentzville, Missouri, called The Southern Air,[54] and in 1990 he was sued by several women who claimed that he had installed a video camera in the ladies' bathroom.
hes still got it
>>
>>63628882
schizophrenia's a hell of a drug
>>
>>63628882
The artist had progressing schizophrenia.
>>
>>63628858
Current 93 actually did a song about that guy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3e6D4mqpx9s
>>
>>63628858
>>63628882
>>63628905
>>63628916
the sequence of these images is not necessarily consistent and no conclusion of the effect of his schizophrenia can be made. basically it's bs.
>>
>>63628858
The Beatles
>>
>>63628865
>god this album is so pretentious

Nice go to buzzword
>>
>>63628858
Daniel Johnston probably
>>
>>63628976
familiarize yourself more with free improv and you will hold the same opinion
>>
>>63628948
still gives a proper chronological idea of an artist's artistic progress

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Louis_wain_cats.png
>>
>>63628651
This guy gets it
>>
>>63628668
JUST
>>
>>63629034
How about you familiarize yourself with the artist before you accuse someone's music of being "pretentious"
David Sylvian doesn't give a shit about impressing anyone. He's one of the most reclusive musicians currently alive, right behind Mark Hollis. He's probably never even read a single review of any of his music ever. He records what he likes, releases it then moves on to the next release.
>>
>>63628668
This literally sounds like the velvet underground white light white heat era slowed down
>>
>>63629034
also lol at the irony of this statement itself being pretentious when you come here accusing something of being pretentious. I take it you're an "free impov" expert, right, policing the board? Don't make me laugh.
>>
>>63629040
no, the pieces are out of chronological order. your link confirms this.

> 6 paintings of cats by Louis Wain with an increasing degree of abstractecness, attributed by some to his suffering from schizophrenia
ordered by abstractness, not time. attributed by SOME to schizophrenia. it's a neat idea but it is unsubstantiated.

>>63629092
in manafon david took recordings of established improv musicians (who didn't necessarily play together) spliced the recordings together (completely removing the purpose of free improv) then recited pre written lyrics over it. the mixing on the vocals is way too high and completely obscures the interplay between the musicians (missing the mark again). it's basically a curation of a dozen well respected artists completely ruined by david's need to be front and center. his "reclusive"ness has no bearing on the music so i don't know why you brought that up. he can surely release what he likes but that does not make it any good.
>>63629198
calm down.
>>
File: image07-900x452.png (646 KB, 900x452) Image search: [Google]
image07-900x452.png
646 KB, 900x452
>>
>>63629339
kek
>>
>>63629198
things you like can be criticized.
>>
>>63629339
top kek
>>
>>63629298
>in manafon david
I never asked you to explain to me what you think he did. I know what he did. Go be snobbish somewhere else.
>calm down.
I'm not the one who came in here, spouting irrelevant when the entire purpose of this thread was
>What's the musical equivalent of this picture?
You're the one who came in here spouting about how you thought what I posted was "pretentious" when it's not. Also, lol at you telling me to "calm down" when you're the one who threw a fit about something I posted.
>>
>>63629431
i'm on /mu/ to discuss music
>threw a fit
sure
>>
>>63629392
>things you like can be criticized.
Nowhere did I ever say they couldn't. But the criticism he has to offer on what I posted is completely irrelevant to the thread, and just comes off as snobbish and pretentious as he so claims what he's criticizing is.
>>
>>63629339
nice
>>
>>63629437
yes, because throwing buzzwords, then saying condescending shit like this
>familiarize yourself more with free improv
Is totally great music discussion
>>
>>63629483
when someone gives a reason for why they think something is pretentious, is it still a buzzword? what do you think buzzword means? why are you so upset?
>>
>>63629495
>why are you so upset?
Oh gee, I don't know, maybe it's because you came in with such an annoying, snobby attitude that was entirely condescending and has made it entirely hard to take you labeling anything as being "pretentious seriously? Or maybe it's statements like
>>his "reclusive"ness has no bearing on the music
when it's incredibly wrong. You say things like "He wants to be the center of attention" when the man is recording very unconventional music and has an incredibly strong loathing for being in the spotlight. If he wanted to be the center of attention, he could easily just go back to writing pop music and not alienating his fanbase even further
>>
>>63629641
explain why it is good. i've said why i think it is not good.
>>
>>63629716
>explain why it is good. i've said why i think it is not good.
Explain why I should explain why I find it good when the reality of the situation is, I could give a good explanation as for why I enjoy it, but it doesn't change your opinion about it because my explanation is why I enjoy, not some justification as to why it's good in "general". My entire problem with this situation is how you came in here with a snobbish attitude, acting like you know more about music than I do and I enjoy it out of "ignorance" which is incredibly condescending. If you would have came in here without the attitude, I wouldn't have even cared. And note, I never said my issue was with you was that you disliked. You shouldn't have to like something you don't like. I just think the accusation of it being "pretentious" was wrong considering it doesn't character of the person who made it.
>>
>>63629876
>I could give a good explanation as for why I enjoy it
i'm not so sure you could.
>I just think the accusation of it being "pretentious" was wrong considering it doesn't character of the person who made it.
david is at the very least overly affectatious.
>>
>>63629876
*fit the character
>>
>>63628668
the other guitarists look scared he's going to have a stroke lol...
>>
>>63629906
>i'm not so sure you could.
>david is at the very least overly affectatious.
Statements like this just confirm you're an arrogant troll.

And as if I couldn't explain why I like something (If you like something, you should be able to explain it), the issues is you don't actually care to know, you just care to insult and act like a smartass.
>>
derek bailey
>>
>>63630034
if i didn't care i wouldn't be here. if you could articulate what is actually good (read: what you actually like) about this album then you would have. or please continue dodging the question and calling me a troll/smartass/pretentious.
>>
>>63630034
>And as if I couldn't explain why I like something
clearly
>>
>>63630077
>if i didn't care i wouldn't be here
That's not necessarily true at all. As if there aren't a lot of trolls on this board that like to string people along just to entertain themselves because they're bored on a Sunday night. The elaborate shit trolls will do to entertain themselves when they don't actually care is ridiculous

>if you could articulate what is actually good (read: what you actually like) about this album then you would have
Not really. I've seen this tired routine before. Someone asks someone why they find "so and so" good, they give their explanation as to to why they find it good, and the person who asks the question just tells them that "they're wrong and an idiot" even though their reason is why THEY think it's good, not good in general.

>please continue dodging the question and calling me a troll/smartass/pretentious.
Considering how arrogant, condescending and snobbish your tone is when you're accusing something of being "pretentious" and accusing the artist of being affectatious, I have legitimate reason for suspecting you're trolling.

And if you think that I literally have no reason for liking the album. I'll just give you a hint, to prove that I do: I'm a very big fan of atmospheric music.
>>
>>63630183
jesus christ dude just say you can't explain why you like it.
>I have legitimate reason for suspecting you're trolling.
no you fucking don't
> I'll just give you a hint, to prove that I do: I'm a very big fan of atmospheric music.
holy shit i'm done you are brainless

please continue to think i'm a troll and continue to have a shallow appreciation of music.
>>
this for sure

https://youtu.be/cQcE4_7-X78
>>
>>63630210
>>63630210
>jesus christ dude just say you can't explain why you like it.
I actually can, I just don't feel like explaining myself because you're a cunt
see things like

>holy shit i'm done you are brainless

>god this album is so pretentious
>hey let me get a bunch of artists together to make great music then recite crummy poetry way too high in the mix and ruin it

>i'm not so sure you could.

>calm down.

then make statements like

>no you fucking don't

Yeah, I should totally explain myself to you after you act like this. Go fucking yourself you arrogant dickbag. Can't believe you have the balls call something "pretentious" when you act like it yourself.
>>
If you experience writers' block, like Sylvian so obviously does these days, just record the local phone book, invite a couple of free improv players to give it some cred and see if you can get away with a few shoddy tone poems. There's absolutely nothing groundbreaking in assembling various respected players, then giving them more or less free reign and manipulating their performances on a laptop to a miniscule degree. This could have been slightly more interesting if some passages had actually been left purely instrumental, but other than for a minute-long instrumental Sylvian barely shuts up here, in fact his voice is mixed about ten times louder than the rest. Not that he or his alter ego R.S. Thomas have anything interesting to say. Of course this "recording" will polarise listeners, and those who hated 'Blemish' may hate this one even more. Fantastic cover art, but otherwise pretentious bullshit.
>>
>>63628563
Came to post this
>>
>>63630210
>continue to have a shallow appreciation of music.
Shallow appreciation? Oh, excuse me for not being some fucking obnoxious pseudo intellectual spouting off like an imbecile who talks down to others because he's "so god damn superior in taste"

and then you post stuff like this just to "make me mad" when really, you're just proving my point about your attitude
>>63630341
>>
>>63630341
also
>going to RYM
lol
>>
>>63630364
you should be able to explain why you like something. it is very clear you are hiding behind some false pride because you realise you have no clue and are just as pretentious as you'd like to think i am.
>>
>>63630378
>you should be able to explain why you like something.
I can explain why I like something, and I can explain why I like this. I'm just entirely reluctant to explain why I like it because you're a complete sack of shit that's been subtly insulting me this entire time with your incredibly tiresome attitude.
>>
this is easily the worst board on 4chan
>>
>>63630433
it's disgusting that people mindlessly consume music and lack the critical thinking skills to explain why they "like" something beyond surface level bs like "i like atmosphere"
>>
>>63630433
I come here to find random music I'd never heard before, memes, and people flinging shit at each other. And if I'm very lucky, I'll read something insightful.
>>
>>63630485
It's disgusting how you can make insulting and condescending statements/assumptions like
just because someone likes an album you don't like, then expect them to explain themselves to you. You don't even deserve acknowledgment with that rude attitude.
>>
kid cudi
>>
>>63630528
your opinion on something you have zero background on is shallow. deal with it.
>>
File: tumblr_ngwimn6iVp1stk2lwo1_400.jpg (96 KB, 400x578) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ngwimn6iVp1stk2lwo1_400.jpg
96 KB, 400x578
>>63630550
Oh, I'm "so sorry" my taste isn't DEEP enough for you. I just feel "so awful"
>>
>>63630570
i think i'm being trolled. no one can actually lack self-awareness to such an extent. you got me. good day.
>>
>>63630598
>no one can actually lack self-awareness to such an extent
the same thing could be said about you
>>
Maybe there's a compromise somewhere.

Of course, learning more about a genre will allow you to understand it better, and your opinions will change.

But this sort of informed enjoyment isn't fundamentally different than a more ignorant type of enjoyment, and doesn't negate it.
>>
>>63630616
what about willful and unapologetic ignorance?
>>
>>63630647
less toxic than and perpetuated by a culture that fetishizes knowledge
>>
File: MI0002063754-500x489.jpg (60 KB, 500x489) Image search: [Google]
MI0002063754-500x489.jpg
60 KB, 500x489
hey are we having a japan thread up in here
can we all agree that this album is mad underrated
>>
>>63630433
>someone hurt my feelings so I'll just passive aggressively dump my bitchy statement without bringing anything up directly
>>
>>63628651
Correct
>>
>>63630803
Don't piss people off then complain they're pissed off.
>>
File: 1454398557733.png (278 KB, 358x358) Image search: [Google]
1454398557733.png
278 KB, 358x358
>>63629976
hahaha, sad how true that is
>>
>>63628488
nigga turned into a Coil album cover
Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.