[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: Genres of music in which everyone on /mu/ cannot talk about
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4
File: shoobies.jpg (11 KB, 400x120) Image search: [Google]
shoobies.jpg
11 KB, 400x120
ITT: Genres of music in which everyone on /mu/ cannot talk about on a level beyond "the list goes on..."

>Noise rock (Les Rallizes Denudes, Fushitsusha, the list goes on...)
>Post punk (This Heat, Psychic TV, the list goes on...)
>Industrial (Coil, Throbbing Gristle, the list goes on...)
>Avant folk (Exuma, Comus, the list goes on...)
>Krautrock (Can, Neu!, the list goes on...)
>>
you can talk to loads of different people on /mu/ about those genres, but very specific people.
>>
>Soul
Marvin Gaye, Frank Ocean, the list goes on...

>Funk
Parliament, Funkadelic, the list goes on...

>Afrobeat
Fela Kuti, Femi Kuti, the list goes on...

>Reggae
Bob Marley, Peter Tosh, the list goes on...

>Plunderphonics
DJ Shadow, The Avalanches, the list goes on...

>House
Daft Punk, Justice, the list goes on...

>/mu/ on dub
King Tubby, Christian Bale, the list goes on...

>Noise
Merzbow, Whitehouse, the list goes on...

>Trip hop
Massive Attack, Portishead, the list goes on...

>Breakcore
Venetian Snares, Renard, the list goes on...

>Indian music
Ravi Shankar, Nikhil Banarjee, the list goes on...

>Traditional folk
Bob Dylan, Exuma, the list goes on...
>>
Avant folk isn't a genre
when are you people going to learn this
>>
the one that started it all, IDM
>aphex twin, autechre, boards of canada, squarepusher, the list could go on...
>>
>>63613282
Hey maybe you can't discuss plunderphonics but that doesn't mean that we all have your surface level knowledge, bitch.
>>
File: shoobies.jpg (147 KB, 705x1138) Image search: [Google]
shoobies.jpg
147 KB, 705x1138
fucking shoobies
>>
What's better, to have an entry level understanding of many genres, or to have a deep understanding of very few genres?

I think that people on /mu/ for the most part like diversity in their music listening, and since there's a limit to the amount of music that you can listen to, I feel that having a familiarity with entry level artists across a wide spectrum isn't actually that bad.

Plus, there are better places on the internet to discuss very specific genres and topics, so /mu/ kind of self selects for young 20s white guys who are just getting into music as a hobby
>>
>implying /mu/ is all one person
>>
>Shoobies

Is this a pavement thread?
>>
>>63613282
Folk is my favourite genre of music. It doesn't get enough love on this board.
>>
>>63613282
For Plunderphonics I like People Like Us, Solex, and Den Sorte Skole.

For carnatic/hindustani music I like M. S. Gopalakrishnan, Debashish Bhattacharya, and Abdul Halim Jaffer Khan, among others.

Also not sure if it was the point of the post but Dylan and I don't think Exuma either aren't considered traditional folk.
>>
its either

yes, king crimson, list goes on

or they name some shitty italo band that tried to sound like Yes
>>
File: mfw you.jpg (33 KB, 512x384) Image search: [Google]
mfw you.jpg
33 KB, 512x384
>>63613282
>dub
>christian bale
>mfw
>>
File: db-sized.png (371 KB, 644x408) Image search: [Google]
db-sized.png
371 KB, 644x408
>>63613332
it's jazz that's the original "and the list goes on" genre
>>
>>63613399
This
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.