[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I've really been enjoying Nick Drake and Elliot Smith's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4
File: image.png (275 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
image.png
275 KB, 500x500
I've really been enjoying Nick Drake and Elliot Smith's music lately. Can /mu/ suggest me some similar artists to check out?
>>
Townes Van Zandt. musically is different, but had a very similar life with Nick Drake. Also born into a rich family, went to college to become a laywer, has bipolar desease, struggles most of his life with addicitions, ended up being poor. Very shy guy, to the point that he refused to record with Bob Dylan even thought he loved his music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hrfjSaW8TQ
>>
just listen to bob dylan, he's like them but actually good
>>
Sufjan Stevens: Carrie and Lowell
>>
>>63613299
Worst
>>
>>63613299
Bob Dylan can't sing. he should've sticked to write poetry books, because that's the only thing he knows how to do. Even Guns n' Roses cover of Knockin' on Heaven Door is better than the original. Everyone that makes a Bob Dylan cover automatically becomes better than the original.
>>
>>63613423
lol I can't believe people still think this
>>
>>63613423
>cares about vocals and lyrics

this is how you know someone's a pleb. dylans vocals are great by the way
>>
Check out astral weeks by van Morrison if you haven't already. You'd probably like Leonard Cohen too. Songs of love and hate is my personal favorite from him. Vashti Bunyan might be good too if you're not just looking for doods
>>
>>63613423
>guns and roses
wew dad
>>
File: fevers-and-mirrors.jpg (254 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
fevers-and-mirrors.jpg
254 KB, 600x600
>>63612267
Bright eyes is really good if you like the emo influences such as the cure. You also need to have got over the "lmao nice high school angst music go listen to some rock and roll dude" attitude that a bunch of dickbags such as >>63613423
have on this board.
>>
Birch Book is really nice. They even have a Drake cover on their new album.
>>
>>63612267
Nick Drake. Elliot Smith isn't even on the level kid
>>
File: NickDrake4.jpg (26 KB, 500x471) Image search: [Google]
NickDrake4.jpg
26 KB, 500x471
Nick was such a qt and a beautiful soul. Really is a shame he had to go so young. The same with Elliott too. Such a talented and beautiful guy.

Here is some albums that I have found that scratch a similar itch.

Lee Hazlewood - Requiem for an Almost Lady

Jackson C. Frank - s/t

Bert Jansch - Jack Orion; From the Outside

Mickey Newbury - Looks Like Rain

Songs: Ohia - Ghost Tropic; The Magnolia Electric Co.
Really any of their albums or anything Jason Molina related

The Tallest Man on Earth - Shallow Grave

Townes Van Zandt - s/t; Our Mother the Mountain; Live at the Old Quarter

Molly Drake - s/t
This is actually Nick's mom. She was a big influence on him, as you would expect.

Joni Mitchell - Blue

Vic Chesnutt - At the Cut

Red House Painters - Rollercoaster

The Mountain Goats - Get Lonely; The Coroner's Gambit

Connie Converse - How Sad, How Lonely

Low - I Could Live in Hope; Things We Lost in the Fire

Leonard Cohen - Songs of Leonard Cohen

King Creosote & Jon Hopkins - Diamond Mine

Kenichi Fumoto - 美化
It's in Japanese, but she does a really great job in expressing emotion.

Keaton Henson - Dear...

Gary Higgins - Red Hash

Dave Bixby - Ode to Quetzalcoatl

Dave Van Ronk - Just Dave Van Ronk

Daniel Johnston - Songs of Pain

Bright Eyes - Fevers and Mirrors

Bonnie Prince Billy - I See A Darkness

Bridget St. John - Ask Me No Questions

Smog - The Doctor Came At Dawn

Well that's all I could think of. I tried to stay with more folk-ish stuff, but probably missed a bunch. Hope there is something in there that you end up enjoying!
>>
>>63612267
The Microphones.
Early Beck.
Anything involving Mark Kozelek.
>>
File: NickDrake7.jpg (168 KB, 965x827) Image search: [Google]
NickDrake7.jpg
168 KB, 965x827
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.