[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is the appeal of classical music /mu/?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 1
File: aerf43.jpg (6 KB, 209x241) Image search: [Google]
aerf43.jpg
6 KB, 209x241
>>
The sound just like any other genre of music.
>>
>>63608112
This

Also, it's a magnet for intellectual snobbery which is pretty rife on /mu/
>>
>>63608125
It's a shame

and it's also a shame because other people are missing out because they think it's just music for snobs
>>
>>63608125
>intellectual snobbery which is pretty rife
People who listen to classical aren't that snobby compared to people who indulge in serialism and renaissance era pieces.
And /mu/ isn't very snobby you only need to listen to around 200 albums to even take part.
>>
>>63608141
/thread

And since OP used a Bach pic. Bach music was played in churchs, everybody went to church. So yeah stop having does preconceived notions that classic music isn't for everybody.
Bach composed his music for everybody to listen, and i'm sure if he was alive today, he would spit in the face of every academic, intellectual of nowdays that keep incarcerating his music and masking it look like it's just for intellectuals.
>>
>>63608198
churches for aristocrats and monarchs. I don't know how you make the proposition that it was everyone when all the scared works were written in latin a language used only by the upper class and rich bourgeois
>>
I shamelessly got into classical because I wanted to beef up my record collection, and you can always find some pretty cheap in thrift stores

I regret nothing
>>
>>63608112
When was the last time you saw a tastefully used counterpoint polyphonic writing in music that isn't directly inspired by an historically significant composer's music?

>Implying you plebs can even pay attention to more than a single melody line or appreciate the idea of the multiple lines of music interacting audibly
>>
>>63608270
Well that's part of the sound
>>
>>63608270
wat
>>
>>63608270
The only thing you've got going for you is that you're less unbearable than jazz fans
>>
>>63608091
completeness of sound spectrum and complexity of sound composition
>>
More like clASSical amirite
>>
>>63608091
>>63609206
This. No modern music can reach the complexity of many classical pieces.
>>
>>63609240
>No modern music can reach the complexity of many classical pieces.
you fucking idiot dumbass kid if i showed Toto's Africa to Mozart it would blow his dick right off and fix music history kys
>>
>>63608091
Its written by people who actually know what they're doing. They've spent their lives researching, score studying, practicing, rehearsing and performing their music. When you study music, you learn ways to improve your craft that no amount of practice or experimentation could teach you. Not just the writing but critical thinking about why and how you write, and what you're trying to say with your music (if anything)
>>
I don't like different instruments. I don't like different things. I just like Linkin Park
>>
>>63609240
no modern music but contemporary classical.

classical is actually at a peak of complexity this century:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7M0MZ424g0
>>
>>63609293
Guess what? your fuckin wrong you godamn idiot
>>
At least for me:
-a strong sense of narrative
-usually well performed
-more fun to analyze, more interesting and cool details to find than in pop
>>
>>63608270
>>63609206
>>63609403
These are about right.
>>
>>63609320
nice counter argument. feel free to support your posts with facts and attempt to disprove my ideas next time.

Are you disputing that classical composers know what they're doing? they pretty much all learn at least counterpoint and form, and most of the continue to learn about music until the day they die, searching out any interesting techniques or ideas to help them improve their craft.
>>
>>63608091
It's epic (in a non meme way)
>>
>>63609539
Guess what again? Your still fucking wrong. Me with my superior intellect can defeat you all fucking day. Your not smart. Just a big ole dumby so stop posting before I get really mad. Ok?
>>
>>63609403

I concur. To add to that, I also find that the emotion behind it just feels more timeless.

With 90% of pop music they're really obvious about it like, "This is an angry song because I'm yelling!" and you can't really shake the feeling that it's just a guy with a guitar. With classical music there are those surface emotions, but underneath it you can feel that it's much more deep and mature.

Sorry if I sound dumb and pretentious. I'm not a music critic or an expert on classical music. This is just what I feel from it.
>>
Rational Ecstasy
>>
>>63608227
Bach was a Lutheran whose work is composed of tons of music in his vernacular German. This was following from Luther himself, who believed in using music as a tool for communal worship.
>>
>>63609695
This sounds about right
>>
>>63608141
>>63609493
This.

I play classical so I like classical. I have an intuitive understanding of how everything sounds, why it sounds that way, what the orchestration entails, the backgrounds of each composer, and the depth to each piece.

If you listen to chopin or Paganini and play piano or violin its a pretty great experience. Like listening to the best guitarist shred an unbelievably hard piece.

Classical music is -at its best- an experience, not just listening,
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.