[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
When did the Age of Rock end?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 3
File: le.jpg (33 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
le.jpg
33 KB, 480x360
When did the Age of Rock end?
>>
File: musicwhathappened.jpg (265 KB, 816x988) Image search: [Google]
musicwhathappened.jpg
265 KB, 816x988
>>
>>
You tell me.
>>
>>63607941
is that the dad from Medium
>>
The second summer of love starting in '88 was the most important era in modern European music culture as it took the American based house and techno and fused it with European attitudes, prowess and compositional excellence to forefront the run of the music that followed on through the rave era, the 90s progression of techno, house, and of course breakbeat hardcore, jungle and all the genres and fusions that followed

Dance music of the 1990s largely rejected the simple, jovial, hedonistic approach to body movement that had ruled since James Brown invented funk music in the 1960s. Disco, techno and house had simply imported new technologies (both for rhythm and arrangements) into the paradigm of funk. The 1990s continued that process, one of the most important ideas to come out of Britain was jungle or drum & bass, a syncopated, polyrhythmic and frantic variant of house, a fusion of hip-hop and techno that relied on extremely fast drum-machines, epileptic breakbeats and huge bass lines.

Few genres of popular music underwent so many changes and reached such ambitious heights as jungle did. Within a few years, jungle musicians were already composing abstract and ambient pieces, integrating breakbeats with pop vocals, adopting jazz improvisation Thanks to ever more intricate beats and to free structures borrowed from jazz, jungle music rapidly became the foundation for a new kind of avantgarde music, pursued by the most austere of the genre's visionaries

It both cemented the death of and proved without doubt that outside of America, the dark ages of rock were dead and merely a passing fad and the progression of funk, soul and rhythm and blues, and via proxy, the music of Jamaica and the influence of hip hop on dance music and indeed hip hop itself showed that electronic music was the natural progression and the rock of the 60s and 70s was a waste of time and a step backwards in music progression.
>>
>>63607945
grunge, idk
>>
>>63607926
>we was
>Jerome get
>youth is missing
>>
Ah yes, the selective choosing of abysmal lyrics of a "fun" rock song and seemingly philosophical hip hop ones to support your argument. I can do that too!
>>
when hip-hop became a thing.
>>
>>63607926
>thinking rock was replaced with a black popstar who raps occasionally and calling it hip hop
>>
>>63607926
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4B_UYYPb-Gk
>>
Rock died the moment retards started calling anyone making money to feed themselves from a band sellouts.
>>
>>63607954
this desu
>>
>>63607956
The writer very wisely replicates the tongue of the oppressed youth.
>>
>>63607926
I love how instead of picking any other hip hop song to prove his point, the guy just cuts out the silly 30 Rock lyric from that verse
>>
>>63608070
The 30 rock line is clever though.
>>
>>63607963
The joke is that everyone places rock on a pedestal for 'great music' as if it has no flaws then takes the worst of another genre to compare to the more well known rock songs. As if the shit tier rock songs never existed.
>>
>>63607941
The lyrics aren't even that much better.
>>
>>63607941
top kek
>>
It died with oasis 1997
>>
When Cobain shot it with a shotgun.
>>
>>63609334
Ya she was really fuckt in the head
>>
When the Beatles dismembered
>>
>>63607926
>implying that kanyes lyrics make any more sense than bicycle
>>
Hard to tell, it's been dying slowly and progressively.

Radiohead abandoning the genre with Kid A in 2000 was one sign among others that rock was becoming a spent force; when more and more popular indie bands in the 00s incorporated post-rock, electronic, pop, folk... elements into their sound, it was a bad sign too: rock needed more and more "grafts" from other genres to be kept alive. Now we mostly have revival bands, and the most famous musicians come from hip hop, pop and EDM. It's pretty clear that rock is over.

So I'd say it died somewhere in the mid-00s.

>>63607954
This starts convincing enough, then gets weirder and weirder until it reads like total bullshit. Drum'n'bass is avant-garde? Drum'n'bass killed rock? Rock was just a "passing fad"? "The most austere of the genre's visionaries"? What the hell.
>>
>>63608058
No, he just sucks
>>
>>63607956
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/African_American_Vernacular_English
>>
>>63607926
when edgy teens think that listening to Bohemian Rhapsody makes them special and better than modern music listener
>>
>>63608934

>not recognizing TMR
>being this new
>>
>>63611592
The middle 2 paragraphs are Scaruffi, the rest is Turny.
>>
>>63608196
The joke is that echoboxing and confirmation bias are real things that literally anyone with any kind of view or opinion does intuitively.
>>
When The Strokes and White Stripes stopped being relevant so 2007
>>
>>63607926
YA KNO THIS SHIT IS FUKIN RIDIKULUS
>>
>>63612219
at least kanye knows how to have fun unlike faggot freddie
>>
>>63612279
They're both shit desu. If you try to memereply me again, I will open your fridge and take your sandwich.
>>
>>63612219
CHAMPANE WISHEZ THERTY WITE BITCHEZ
>>
>>63612379
I MEAN THIS SHIT IS
>>
>>63612404
FUCKIN RADICKALUS
>>
>>
File: Main-chart_on-page.png (423 KB, 777x903) Image search: [Google]
Main-chart_on-page.png
423 KB, 777x903
>people in this thread actually trying to discredit Ye

lol. He has single-handedly changed the sound and culture of the most popular genre in the world for over a decade now.

The way hip-hop producers sample, the isntrumentation, the slang, the outfits, a very good percentage of the entire style comes from Yeezus himself.

>"See I invented Kanye, it wasn't any Kanye's, and I look-and look around and it's so many Kanye's"

You know how it's seen as okay for black people to wear skinny jeans?

That's because of Kanye.

Remember shutter shades?

Kanye.

You know how 90% of modern hip-hop is mostly focused on the production now, instead of just dope lyrics?

Kanye.

No matter if you like the music or the fashion trends or anything else, don't act like Ye isn't one of the most influential people in modern music history.

>PIC VERY FUCKIN RELATED
>>
>>63612544
This chart is a fucking mess
>>
>>63612596
I agree. I didn't make it.

If you're interested it comes from this article:

http://blog.thirdbridgecreative.com/2016/03/kanye-samples/

Actually pretty informative tbqh
>>
>>63612544
>caring about pop-rap
>ever
>>
>>63612665
>acting like Kanye only ever made pop-rap
>you tried
>>
>>63607941
Is David Guetta even relevant?
>>
>>63612707
>pretending he made anything but

Kanye pls go
>>
in about 1976
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.