[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
trumpet advice
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: trompeta.jpg (15 KB, 247x600) Image search: [Google]
trompeta.jpg
15 KB, 247x600
hey guys this is my first time posting on /mu/ so you'll have to forgive me if i don't follow the rules... i just bought pic related (thomann TR500 s) and i wanted to know if there are any trumpet players on 4chan. how hard it is to get started? i have some basic music knowledge (played piano when i was a kid), i know i'm not going to play like chet baker since the first day but how long will it take me to play some basic stuff along a guitar? should i stop smoking cigs? and can u guys give me some trumpet jazz? i only know the classics (davis, armstrong, clifford brown etc)

also brass general thread i guess
>>
Get lessons or you'll fuck up your mouth and embrochure. Also your mouth and jaw structure may not be suited for trumpet.

Tmpt is hard.
>>
File: danger.png (11 KB, 70x78) Image search: [Google]
danger.png
11 KB, 70x78
make sure you know your chromatic scale well

as >>63607215 said get lessons and shit

also practice a lot to get a good stamina. that's the most important thing. it'll be a bit trickier keeping a good stamina if you smoke maybe, but maybe you can still get a good one if you play all of the time. playing in any sort of band (big band so you have to play loud) helps.
>>
If you know have basic music knowledge, learning trumpet will be 90% technique for you.
I'd also advise geting lessons, at least when you're just beginning, to build on proper basic techinques.

Not much else to it.
>>
>>63607215
how does that mouth/jaw structure thing works? could you elaborate a bit more? (im not OP and I've never played trumpet, im just curious)
>>
Congratulations, you picked one of THE hardest instruments to begin with.

Your trumpet is probably crap, but mouthpiece is most important. Try every mouthpiece you can.

Also the basic mutes (straight, harmon) is really good to have.

Check out Magnus Broo, Donald Byrd, Woody Shaw, Tom Harrell
>>
If I played trumpet from 4th grade to 12th, then stopped for a while, should I be able to just pick it up again or should I get lessons? I was never very good in the first place because I hated practicing. And how do I start playing jazz trumpet/knowing how to improvise well?
>>
>>63609224
get lessons and start studying theory on your own
>>
>>63607215
>>63608637
It's bullshit that elementary band directors would tell their students in order to divide up the instruments so not everyone was playing trumpet or Alto Saxaphone.

I've played trumpet for about a decade now, long tones.
Big bore mouthpiece, recommend a 1.5C.
Developing a good tone is absolutely #1, there are trumpet players all through college who still sound hideous.
>>
To learn music theory and jazz improvisation, you MUST play keyboards. There's no way around it.
>>
>>63607121
It's pretty hard to get started. Unlike guitar where the instrument makes your sound trumpet relies on your own skill to make the sound so you're not gonna sound great for a while.

Get lessons if you can't you at least need some sort of coaching with some level of consistency. It's a lot harder to play if you smoke your lungs are gonna have to learn how to move a tremendous volume of air and smoking is only gonna hurt that.

If you want some jazz to play go download the real book in Bb and try some of the melodies in there. There's a few which aren't too hard in there you can try.

>>63608637
It doesn't I've never heard of this in my life. Some people may have physical characteristics that allow them to do certain things on trumpet easier, but that's only at a very high level.

>>63609224
Lessons can never hurt. They'll give you goals and someone can point out to you all the things you never fixed or realized were issues back in the day.
>>
I started playing trumpet 7 years ago. Moved around a lot and took lessons in different places but I just started taking lessons with a new teacher last year and realized I had been doing the wrong embouchure all this time. If you're not looking for lessons, try to look some stuff up on the internet about embouchure. Finding the right lip position can make it a lot easier to play in the upper register
>>
>>63607121
I played for about 12 years and got to play with some really good people like Wynton Marsalis, but stopped playing a few years ago so I'm probably forgetting some stuff.

Get a somewhat deep mouthpiece, like a Bach 1C or a Bach 3C.

Moving air is by far the most important part of playing. When you inhale you want to fill your lungs to be about 90% full. Not 100%, because then it becomes uncomfortable and you feel like you need to let the air out asap.
When breathing, you want to breathe down to the bottom of your diaphragm, not just leaving that air in your chest. What helped me visualize it was to pretend that the bottom of my diaphragm was at my feet, and I wanted to inhale down to that. You should also feel your back and core expand when you inhale.

For embouchure, keep the corners of your mouth tight and don't press your mouthpiece against your lips really hard.

Practice doing long tones a lot, they'll help you have good air control and maintain good embouchure.

Also, worry about tone before range. If you can hit high notes, that's cool and all, but no one wants to hear that shit if you sound like ass.
Tongue placement can help with tone a lot, but I can't describe it very well without pictures. It's something you don't need to worry about as a beginner and it's probably Googleable anyway.
>>
>>63607121
Hold long notes dont push too hard and start at 1hr each day and move up to 15 min after 2 days

also listen to actual people play the trumpet more ballads and shit
>>
>>63610744
>>63610744
>>63610744
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.