[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
100% style, 0% substance
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 1
File: bowie-2.jpg (907 KB, 2998x3000) Image search: [Google]
bowie-2.jpg
907 KB, 2998x3000
100% style, 0% substance
>>
>>63594777
777% trips
>>
>>63594777
agree. Kiss also.
>>
>look mom, I posted it again!
>>
>>63594777
trips and no lie detected
it's embarrassing how defensive bowie fans are about it too
>>
>>63594777
Just like your post
>>
>>63595001
>>63594909
people only get this mad when they're forced to confront an ugly truth
>>
>>63595034
Not mad buddy, just keeping you in your place ;)
>>
>>63594777
>pop music
>substance

what's next, are you going to imply that superhero movies can have substance?
>>
>>63595078
neither of the weak posts he replied to put anyone in their place
>>
>>63595227
you clearly havent seen the new batman v superman movie
>>
>>63594777
Lol you obviously havent listened to anything by bowie let alone low or lodger.
>>
>le style/substance dichotomy

compositional choices are also aesthetic ones. style.
presentation can add a layer of "meaning", thematic content, something like that, which might fall under substance but it's an awfully vague buzzword here so idk
>>
>>63595312
Sure they did
>>
>>63594777
>dumb dummy doesn't realize style IS substance
>>
so david bowie is the lil wayne of rock?
>>
>>63597339
The Carter III >>>> anything david shat out
>>
>>63597855
wow i actually agree
>>
>>63595416
kek
>>
>>63594777
To talk about music with terms like "style" and "substance" prooves your ignorance concerning music and art.

Like what do you mean by substance ? His songs are not well constructed, arranged, his riffs arent interesting ? Or do you mean that his lyrics arent politicaly engaged enough? If you say that bowie is all about the look and nothing about music, well you are plain wrong. He might be one of the most important pop artist (and i'd say modern songwriter) of 20th century.

Bowie might be one of the only few pop artist that has any art value, and thus cannot be reduced to entertainment.
>>
>>63598243

name one innovation Bowie made in music
>>
>>63598243
lmao wow you really don't understand bowie at all
>>
>>63598243
Looks like this guy took the bait
>>
>>63598338
Nearly all music style of the 70's and 80's finds some of their roots in Bowie's music. I dont mean to say that Bowie created everything, but every music movement (Punk, postpunk, new waves, electronics, funk - more recently, synthpop, indie).

All of the major bands explicitly said that bowie was a big influences (The Clash, The Cure, Nirvana, Nine Inch Nails, Arcade Fire, Radiohead are the one that comes quickly in mind) Plus, german electronic music began to be known outside of germany mainly because of Bowie's Berlin trilogy.
>>
>>63598564

>Nearly all music style of the 70's and 80's finds some of their roots in Bowie's music.

you can't be fucking serious. I don't even need to read the rest of your post. opinion discarded
>>
>>63598564
>Nearly all music style of the 70's and 80's finds some of their roots in Bowie's music
bowie fans are the worst
>>
>>63598600

>Hey i disagree with your premiss so i wont read its justification.
>>
>>63598697

If I know the "premise" is false I don't need a justification for it.
>>
>>63598338
>>63598339
>>63598600
>>63598641

same guy
>>
>>63595503
this desu and i'm not even a bowie fan
>>
>>63598760
Good thing history doesn't work like you do. You must be some kind of a god to absolutely know your thing without any demonstration or justification.
>>
I don't get how you can hate on Queen but then praise David Bowie. They're basically the same thing.
>>
If you think Hunky Dory, Low, Heroes, and Station to Station are bad albums you're objectively wrong
>>
>>63598971
Queen had the more popular songs and bigger classics, so of course they despise Queen.
>>
>>63598971
I was gonna make a comment about leddit loving Queen but then I realized they also love Bowie, probably even moreso
>>
>>63598243
>Bowie might be one of the only few pop artist that has any art value

>pop
>art value
i agree there is value in pop, but not artistic value. the only value you can find in pop is as a historic metric to gauge the mindset of the period (i.e. interests, fashion, language etc..)
>>
>>63598564

nirvana isn't around asshole kurt cobain is dead
>>
If you don't like any Bowie music, you just don't like music. Deal with it.
>>
>>63594777
Reminds me of this article

http://www.hitthefloor.com/features/style-substance-genre-music-like-track/
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.