[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
When starting to listen to an artist's discog for the first
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (40 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
40 KB, 500x375
When starting to listen to an artist's discog for the first time, is it smart to start with their supposed worst release? With pic related, I did with MAYA and I don't see the problem.

General M.I.A. thread I guess too.
>>
WUTS UP WID DAT
>>
release order
>>
File: gnfos19.gif (116 KB, 350x350) Image search: [Google]
gnfos19.gif
116 KB, 350x350
but, anon, MAYA was easily her best album, followed by her vicki leex mixtape
>>
Release order or reverse release order is what I prefer.
>>
>>63587519
"no"
>>
File: tumblr_o3sdg3jrGB1rthe0po2_1280.jpg (124 KB, 1080x1080) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o3sdg3jrGB1rthe0po2_1280.jpg
124 KB, 1080x1080
Well for one I'd say Maya -- though flawed -- is actually a great album and not her worst. It's just a rather extreme change in sound and content for M.I.A., which caused a degree of polarisation. Her personal life also factored into a lot of reviews I think, which isn't really fair to her.

In that sense, it might not have been the best best place to get a idea of the 'quintessential M.I.A. experience', (ie Kala) but that doesn't really matter unless you intend on listening to only one of her albums only.

I first listened to Kala at the apex of Paper Planes hype and hated it because I expected 12 more Paper Planes sounding songs and got beats made from chickens clucking. But years down the line I came across the Sunshowers vid and I downloaded her whole discography based on that because it struck me as so genius. So Arular was my starting point, really.

I think all her albums are good and worth checking out, though Matangi is the least essential of the bunch.
>>
>>63587519
Listened to Vicki Leekx for the first time in a while a few days ago and what struck was how much sense it made, despite making no real statements lyrically. Might not make sense, but Vicki Leekx, I feel you.
>>
>>63587476
>implying it didn't get stuck in your head
>>
>>63587497
>>63587540
Generally, yup. Unless it's very well known that the artist's first album is shit (Radiohead).
>>
New album soon and maybe mixtape too, I think.
>>
>>63587451
reminder that she is 40 years old
>>
>>63588628
Pablo honey ain't that bad
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.