[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>technical proficiency is less important than song lyrics
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 3
File: trumpfaces.gif (3 MB, 360x203) Image search: [Google]
trumpfaces.gif
3 MB, 360x203
>technical proficiency is less important than song lyrics

Literally the most hipster opinion in the entire medium of music.
>>
>>63586296

But that's a pleb opinion?
>>
>>63586322
it's a correct opinion. It doesn't matter how technically proficient you are if you can't be engaging.
>>
>>63586349
this desu
>>
>>63586349
but you are a huge pleb if you engage with music primarily through lyrics?
>>
>>63586296
It's entirely dependent on the individual composition. You wouldn't expect technical skill from a roots american artist, but that was never a requirement for them to make incredibly emotional music. Some bands or ensembles are technically skilled enough that they don't even need vocals.
>>
>>63586390
the audience is engaged by the musician. If you can only engage your audience through lyrics, that's the artist's fault, not the audience.

No one owes you 50 minutes of their life to listen to your technically proficient bass solo. If you have energy and passion and can convey how you feel without words, great. If you use words, also great. But unless you're engaging them somehow, you're trash.
>>
>>63586390
Plebs dont listen to lyrics
>>
>>63586444
>the worth of art is defined by whether or not you engage a specific audience

jej
>>
File: cute anime pic 0537.png (583 KB, 1000x850) Image search: [Google]
cute anime pic 0537.png
583 KB, 1000x850
>>63586444
Wew lad
>>
>>63586460
There is only one audience: the people in front of you.
And if you can't engage them, you're trash.
>>
lyrics shouldn't be the focal point. but at the same time if I read into your lyrics and they are wet hot american garbage I will feel a little let down ( death grips)
>>
File: Instantgratification.jpg (617 KB, 1180x1180) Image search: [Google]
Instantgratification.jpg
617 KB, 1180x1180
>>63586296
Listen to this and come back
>>
MAGA
>>
>>63586501
you have bad opinions :^)
>>
>>63586444
Or you know, the musician can keep someone engaged with the music itself.

Have fun listening to rap and browsing /pol/ though.
>>
>>63586460
>the worth of art is defined by whether or not you engage a specific audience
This is obvious across the board man.
>>
musicians that are technically skilled but have shit taste in general are so sad hahaha
>>
>>63586296
literally who thinks this
>>
>>63586592
obviously dumb af yuh
>>
>>63586631
this, all of you that disagree must be huge Yngwie Malmsteen fans
>>
>>63586296
You posted a Donald Trump .gif, your opinion is immediately invalid
>>
>>63586674
Found the bernout
>>
song titles are the most important part of any music

if you can't title your songs correctly your music is literally worthless
>>
>>63586296
I don't really care much for lyrics, as long as they're not hilariously bad I can listen to a song with a rhythm and melody that appeals to me.

The only time proficiency could be seen as a negative is when someone makes a song solely to prove how proficient they are, which is fine if you want to prove your skill but proficiency doesn't automatically make music more appealing, free jazz is a pretty good example of that.
>>
>>63586719
what are good song titles in your opinion.
>>
>>63586786
yeah. great example. one of the most patrician genres in general that spawned and inspired more music than you can possibly imagine and gave later musicians much more freedom.

there arent many musicians who inspired both pop and noize artist at the same time, but free jazz artists did that.
>>
>>63586296
>We are the new Americana, high on legal marijuana! We are the new Americana, raised on Biggie and Nirvana!
Those lyrics trump any song's production, who gives a shit about prod? Halsey for life!
>>
pleb as fuck indeed
>>
>>63587306
>misquoting it
>>
>>63586798
The Black Hawk War, or, How to Demolish an Entire Civilization and Still Feel Good About Yourself in the Morning, or, We Apologize for the Inconvenience, but You're Going to Have to Leave Now, or, "I Have Fought the Big Knives and Will Continue to Fight Them Until They Are Off Our Lands!"
>>
>>63586875
>one of the most patrician genres in general

cringe
>>
>>63586296
Both technical proficiency and lyrics are pretty much secondary aspects of music.
>>
>>63586719
How can a song title figuratively be worthless, anon?
>>
>>63587325
Who gives a shit? It's a cringe song with cringe lyrics, which was the point of posting it.
>>
>>63587306
Those lyrics are terrible
>>
>>63586349
>correct opinion
Nice b8 son
>>
>>63587960
That was the point I was trying to make.
>>
>>63586296
If you can't convey emotion without lyrics you fail as a musician. That's the entire point of music as an art form.

So you're essentially saying Classical is for plebs because it doesn't have lyricism? Are you retarded?
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.