[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Find a flaw.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 4
File: 00s.png (16 KB, 217x479) Image search: [Google]
00s.png
16 KB, 217x479
Find a flaw.
>>
>>63566304
joanna newsom is not a band

arcade fire is trash
>>
>>63566304
tv on the radio released one album that i thought was decent before i listened to more stuff and realized it isnt
>>
Am I alone in not recognizing like 6 of these
>>
>>63566304
joanna newsom isnt a band lol
>>
>>63567148
yes you fucking newfag
>>
I'm surprised to see Shit & Shine on there.

>>63567148
Maybe it's a sign you need to step up your game, anon
>>
>>63566304
>shit and shine that low
>khanate that low
>animal collectors that high
>newsom is a band and still not #1 anyway

this list needs a lot of improvement
>>
Foxy Shazam isn't on there. Glad to see the fiery furnaces though
>>
Solex is amazing but how does he decide if something should count for the 00s? Because Solex's first two albums were '98 and '99.

Xiu Xiu's an interesting choice.
>>
>>63566304

No Spring Heel Jack?
He rated 8/10 two of their albums of the 00s, but for some reason they aren't there.
>>
>Acid Mothers Temple
>doesn't specify whether Cosmic Inferno, Melting Paraiso or SWR
>>
TV On Radio are flavor-of-the-week-core
Arcade Fire have always been trash
Acid Mothers Temple is a one-trick pony
Mars Volta are mariachi Slipknot-level (which is no surprise seeing as how much Scaruffi loves bad nu-metal)
Supersilent haven't done anything of any merit since 6
Shit and Shine are really bad noise rock that haven't done anything that hasn't been done way better decades before
Joanna Newsom is not a band
>>
>>63567502
dank
>>
>>63567396
>Because Solex's first two albums were '98 and '99.

But her best album, Low Kick And Hard Bop was released in 2001
>>
>>63567148
hello pleb
>>
>>63567502
>Shit and Shine are really bad noise rock that haven't done anything that hasn't been done way better decades before

anyone besides crash worship?
>>
>>63567502
Is there a word that encapsulates both solo artists and bands?

>>63567618
I just think it's weird calling an artist part of a decade even though they were around before that decade. Though I guess it happens with other artists too like Bowie who had two albums in the 60s but isn't really considered a 60s musician.

It's actually funny because Solex has released 2 albums per decade since the 90s.
>>
>>63567693
>Is there a word that encapsulates both solo artists and bands?
no but "musical acts" works with two words
>>
>>63566771
>>63567164
>>63567283
>>63567502
Listen to Solex
>>
File: Solex4.jpg (187 KB, 1386x982) Image search: [Google]
Solex4.jpg
187 KB, 1386x982
>>63568067
Solex isn't a band either
>>
File: DJT_Headshot_V2.jpg (547 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
DJT_Headshot_V2.jpg
547 KB, 400x400
>>63566304
>acid mothers temple
Pretentious garbage, experimental music for the ignorant.
>xiu xiu
4chan tier garbage
>AnCo
see both above
>Vladislav Delay
actually good, but not a band.
>Supersilent
actually good, kinda a band.
>Joanna Newsom
kinda good, not a band.
>Shit and Shine
No clue, sounds like garbage.
>Mars Volta
see AMT
>Solex
No clue.
>Black Dice
Never listened to them
>Fiery Furnaces
NOT the greatest band of the 2000's by any stretch.
>The Books
see FF
>Arcade Fire
see The Books
>Khanate
no clue
>TVOTR
LMAO
>>
>>63568097
exactly, they must not know about the GOAT Solex if they criticize Scaruffi for the inclusion of JoNew as a band, but not Solex
>>
Obviously this is under the banner of artists/bands you fucking idiots, that's why Joanna Newsom is there
>>
>Anco
Opinion discarded
>>
>Animal Collective
>>
>>63567148
c'mon anon, you're asking for it
>>
>>63568097
>tfw you'll never lick her sweaty pits
>>
>>63567148
Which 6 don't you recognize?
>>
>>63568634
>tfw saw this comment coming from a mile away when I posted the image
Also apparently she's fucking 50 something years old. The only place that has her birthday is Wikipedia and that uses Allmusic for its source but that's insane if true. She'd be 30 something in that image if that was around the release of her first album (which the guy is holding).
>>
>>63568675
I heard she was working on a new album, can anyone confirm?
>>
>>63568848
I actually emailed her a little bit ago and got some answers. She did a collab with Truus de Groot which may or may not result in an album. Truus keeps referring to it as an album but Solex says the stuff isn't really album worthy and they might do like an animation to go along with the songs or something else.

Right now Solex is doing montage video things, like sampling music but with video instead. She said she should have some new music by the end of this year though. Whether it's just a few songs or an entire album I don't know.

Here's the only released song from the Truus collab. They played the stuff live a few times but of course there's no videos or recordings anywhere.

https://soundcloud.com/truus/thats-the-booted-cat-solex-truus-de-groot
>>
Is Solex's "Low Kick And Hard Bop" any good?
>>
Your nip bias is showing.
>>
>>63568964
Yes. All her other stuff is really good too. The collaboration with Jon Spencer especially. First album is mostly hip hop-ish drum breaks (not sure what to call them but they sound like the kind of drums you'd hear in hip hop or drum and bass) with some other stuff but Pick Up and Low Kick get more interesting with the samples. I think I heard Laughing Stock is lighter on samples but still pretty good. Not sure how to describe the Jon Spencer collab. It sounds pretty different to her solo stuff.

Her most recent album is still sampling but it's sampling instrument playing specifically made for the album, but all the instrument parts were recorded separately with the people playing having no idea what the other people were playing as they were mostly improvised and separate.

Only release I don't really like is the Fishtank album and that's mostly because Solex's part was mostly just recycled vocals from earlier albums. The 18 minute long track is pretty good though.
>>
>>63567693
Artists
>>
>>63568204
Who are your greatest artists of the 00's?
>>
>>63569576
An artist to me is a single person and wouldn't include bands.
>>
>>63566304
xiu xiu should be higher
>>
>>63566304
everything other than Acid Mothers Temple, Joanna Newsom (who's still a flaw because she's not a band), and the Mars Volta
>>
>>63570007
This is Scaruffi right? I think it would be nice if he gave a short writeup for each artist for why they are where they are. There are his reviews I guess but it would be cool for something specifically for this list to help understand it better. Especially since I think a lot of these artists/bands are rated by him pretty close together because of how he does his ratings.

>>63570379
>implying you've listened to everyone on the list
>>
>>63567148
I don't know any of them
>>
mfw no one can even say anything against the books because they are genuinely flawless
>>
>>63570418
Not even AnCo or Arcade Fire?

>>63570494
>>63568204 this guy did kind of. And a flaw could be that they broke up.
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.