[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Chris Ott destroys William Basinski (the hack that made The
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 4
File: BTFO.png (848 KB, 1310x850) Image search: [Google]
BTFO.png
848 KB, 1310x850
Chris Ott destroys William Basinski (the hack that made The Disintegration Loops)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGE7q0oDlEI

Thoughts?
>>
him talking about pitchfork is pretty cool
>>
>>63564371
yeah i wish he'd make videos like these again
>>
you should talk with /mu/ from several years ago, newfag
>>
>>63564313
Chris is a pathetic loser but he's 100% right about everything he says in this video. basinski is despicable
>>
god this video is amazing
>>
>>63564609
The Shallow Rewards videos are all great if you can hunt them down
>>
>>63564609
fuck off new/namefag
>>
>>63564685
are you really bragging about having seen an ex pitchfork writer's rant on some hack before other people have? you are pathetic mate
>>
>>63564706
No I'm just asking the redditors to leave.
>>
>>63564680
ya theres a lot on utube it seems
bout to marathon some
>>63564685
>
>>
>>63564736
im op, ive seen this video back when it was first uploaded as a podcast. im making this video to introduce some newfriends. i really hope this continues to piss you off throughout the rest of this thread
>>
Why does every fucking youtuber have to use excessive jump cuts? There's a cut after every fucking sentence and it drives me crazy. Just talk like a fucking normal person. No need to cut out every pause and "um"
>>
File: 7.png (243 KB, 1200x700) Image search: [Google]
7.png
243 KB, 1200x700
>>63564756
>im making this video
thread*
>>63564753
his stuff on shoegaze is what made him popular. the other day him and father john misty got into a little twitter beef and i was surprised to see FJM know about his praise for shoegaze lol
>>
>>63564313
ive seen it and I'm really glad he said it cause it needed to be said. i fucking hate Basinski
>>
>>63564313
lmao holy shit why is this guy such a bitter faggot

fuck off OP
>>
>>63565516
why is being bitter about a musician who used a national tragedy to further his personal career a bad thing?
>>
>>63565553
It's not that. His criticism has validity but the way he presents it is one of the most obnoxious way that any person could have possibly done it. But he freely admits that he knows very little about music (even now I don't have the impression that he knows nay more) and goes on this rant about how the situation that the record appropriated or whatever - the fact is that this record was released, and people loved it. That's all there is to it. Would you call Steve Reich's WTC-9/11 an appropriation? This guy is a fucking moron.
>>
>>63565606
>and people loved it.
because of the praise it received and the story behind the album. like he said, it became the selling point
>Steve Reich's WTC-9/11 an appropriation
no because that music was inspired by the events. there's nothing wrong with that

also with regards to your disliking of his obnoxious presentation i have to agree. but for me, it makes it even more interesting. i'd rather see a critic rip apart something with passion than be respectful and "professional".
>>
i had no idea about all this 911 stuff and i've had this album for years and really like it

oh well i suppose i should hate it now because a man on youtube is angry
>>
>>63565742
no you should hate it for two reasons:

1. you wouldnt have ever heard of it had he not added the whole 911 story

2. it's shit musically
>>
>>63565712
I agree that it definitely became a selling point. Ultimately however it is not negotiable how people perceived the record and, to reiterate, I consider his criticism valid.

As for presentation, it's not about being "professional." He has a rather decent rhetoric, but his vocabulary is limited and he resorts to strawman arguments peppered with swears in order to get his point across - a sign that he is still very much the same person that wrote for shitfork way back then.
>>
This is also the same guy that praises witch house.

What a joke
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRIWmvvHQAw

this guy is a giant faggot

seapunk was a meme started here how can he be so fucking stupid
>>
>>63565786
1 is a shit reason and 2 i disagree with so nah
>>
>>63565941
>seapunk was a meme started here
no it didnt
>>
>>63565941
no it absolutely didn't you shill
>>
>>63565941
>>63565837
still doesn't mean he's not right,there's way this guy didn't use 9/11 as a selling point for his shitty loop music, and if you think this is ok you're a fucking pleb
>>
>>63566040
there's no way*
>>
One of the most insightful music commentary videos I've seen. Anyone have a third opinion on that Whitman LP? It's in my library but I have yet to listen to it.
>>
>>63566023
confirmed for newfag

witch house, vaporwave, and seapunk all had their beginnings here. witch house was popularized by the blogosphere after the aesthetic got fleshed out here (we fucking love music was the primary culprit in popularizing salem btw).

vaporwave was started by /mu/tants per the admission of the biggest acts in that microgenre. the guy who runs that one label even wrote a huge blogpost about it.

seapunk was literally named here in /mu/ in a thread that was trying to come up with shit to do after vaporwave circa 2011. then tumblr trash (who come here regularly) took that and ran with it.

it's still amazing to me how much shit starts here on 4chan.
>>
>>63566088
ive been here since 2009 and none of them had started here, they were just popularized by /mu/. you don't know your shit at all so please do everyone a favor and research things before you talk about them
>>
>>63566128
bitch let's not get in a pissing contest because ive been on 4chan since 05 and remember when /mu/ came to be. they were all started here and developed elsewhere. do you not remember the sheer amount of shilling witch house and particularly salem was getting? that and cross delta? shit was out of here.
>>
>>63566088
>seapunk was literally named here in /mu/ in a thread that was trying to come up with shit to do after vaporwave circa 2011

no that was mallsoft

seapunk was before vaporwave
>>
>>63566155
alright you caught me. i started browsing here in 2015 and my favorite thing about this place is that it is anonymous and you can literally lie about not only the history of this place, but for how long you've been here. i'm having so much fun lol
>>
>>63564685
>wolves
>new
Fucking pleb
>>
>>63566088
Witch house and vaporwave existed before they were on 4chan.
>>
>>63566174
kek bitch wow you sure got me B^)

call me @ 1-800-FITE-ME-PUSSY or go to my website cunt www.myfreewebsite.ifuckedyourmom.com knob
>>
>>63566181
witch house started in 2008 and it was shilled here as it started. there is no denying this. it was made by /mu/tants who posted here ffs
>>
>>63566191
LMAFAOOOOOOOO

dude that was sick hahhahaha
>>
>watched first 2 seconds
>obnoxious youtube jump cut
>closed window
>>
>>63564397
check out his site, he has a few videos and podcasts and stuff

http://shallowrewards.com/
>>
>>63566227
shit bitch (thats what you gotta take)

sont try me its enough to be dick up with this nightmate M8
>>
>>63566270
what are you listening to right now bro :P
>>
>>63566210
>witch house started in 2008
Incorrect.
>and it was shilled here as it started
That doesn't mean it was started here.
>>
>>63566291
School me man, I honestly don't see witch house existing any time before 2008, the aesthetic wasn't solidified at all during 2007
>>
>>63566291
so i was right? >>63566128

kek faggot you Got BTFO by someone making up facts idiot :PPP
>>
>>63566329
Salem began putting out witch house in 2007, and the "aesthetic" of witch house is almost entirely based on Salem.
>>
Chris Ott is a big baby that's mad that he's not still writing for pitchfork so he just goes around panning everything that pitchfork has given BNM to.
I don't even like Basinski but Chris Ott is so obviously just doing this to be contrarian so people will pay attention to him.
>>
>>63566410
this
OP is chris ott
>>
>>63564756
Remember when this came out in 2012
>>
>>63565606
>he knows nothing about music

You should really check out the Spotify playlists he's made dude actually knows more than you ever will.
>>
>>63567605
>a fucking playlist being any indication that somebody knows about music

hahahahahahahaha
>>
>>63565786
>2. it's shit musically
this is dumb and ott doesn't present a good argument for it
he's a persuasive little prick but he's pretty much entirely unsubstantiated and obnoxiously self-important on top of it so fuck him
>>
>>63566410
He's got kids and lives in fucking cape cod. He realized that music writing is the most useless profession there is and got out before it became a completely ad driven medium.
>>
wow the part where he's talking about eccojams and existential dread is so fucking embarrassing. how pretentious can you be
>>
>>63567781
i mean he's right if you loop that chorus it sounds like something completely different from that jojo song, not really pretentious famlam
>>
>>63567681
so why is even still bitching/whining/complaining about music on twitter
>>
literally who
>>
>>63567845
it obviously sounds different he fucking slowed it down. and i mean i'm all about subjective interpretation of music but how much value does that have? what's the significance of slowing down a pop song and trying to get some philosophical meaning out of it? just fucking make actual music that reflects your existential dread
>>
>>63565553
terrorism isn't a 'national tragedy', the death of capitalists is not a tragedy in any sense. it's a localized tragedy for the ultra rich and the ignorant
>>
>>63567977
i was talking more about the lyrics, the music DOES back up the lyrics well though
>>
File: 1457245986230.jpg (48 KB, 516x437) Image search: [Google]
1457245986230.jpg
48 KB, 516x437
>>63568000
It's time to leave, Muhammad.
>>
>>63567951
former p4k writer/hipinion's arbiter of all things pop before he was cast out for not falling in line with their new SJW regime.
>>
>>63568192
don't say SJW dude it's not hip on /mu/
>>
>>63564313
go back to bed Chris, you pathetic old bitter piece of shit. No one gives a fuck that you were right about the disintegration loops anymore
>>
>>63567669
>he's pretty much entirely unsubstantiated and obnoxiously self-important on top of it so fuck him
>i dont like how he's saying something so that means its wrong
>>
who is the composer that he namedrops after andrew chalk and before windy & carl? i can't understand his voice
Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.