[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
FLOR FLOR FLOR FLOR FLORIDA
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 10
File: aveypwcover.jpg (120 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
aveypwcover.jpg
120 KB, 900x900
FLOR FLOR FLOR FLOR FLORIDA
>>
shut up
>>
its flori flori flori flori florida you idiot
>>
HOCUS
POCUS
>>
where do I start listening with Anco?
>>
>>63552861
Some people will say MPP, but I'd recommend Strawberry Jam and Feels.

If you like the electronic stuff, move onto their newest stuff.

If you like the acoustic stuff, listen to Sung Tongs and Campfire Songs.

If you like the abrasive and/or ambient stuff, check out their early catalog.
>>
>>63552861

Feels or Strawberry Jam.
>>
I really really like this album
>>
>>63552192
GNIP GNOP I DON'T WANNA EVER STOP
>>
Floridada is the best song on the album

The end of the burglars is the only 10/10 part on the album

Gnip Gnop is probably the third best track from this era

and Hounds of Bairro is the best Panda track

also Lying in the Grass is the worst of all the tracks
>>
>>63554149

>also Lying in the Grass is the worst of all the tracks

I disagree
>>
>>63554149
the burglars should've been a brothersport kind of song
>>
what the fuck is a gnip gnop
will they release an EP? (pls god yes)
>>
>>63554231
Ping Pong, anon
and the official comment is "probably not"
>>
Has anyone listened to ODDSAC?
Is is worth checking out?
>>
>>63554167
sorry pal thats a scientific fact ;/
>>63554194
they really should have made the ending be the whole song that they just jammed out for a while to
>>
>>63554282
Yes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUtOZ57Qqro
>>
>>63554282
>has anyone listened to ODDSAC
>some AC fans haven't heard ODDSAC

dude it's like their best release, of course it's worth checking out.
>>
>>63554286
what about Natural Selection? Summing the Wretch? These are clearly worse than LITG
>>
>>63554332

I also liked these
>>
>>63554308
>>63554282
Oddsac could've made a really good standalone album if they got rid of Urban Creme and Satin Orb Wash, and maybe saved Safer to be part of it. As is it's great with the visuals.
>>
File: 1311947803699.jpg (92 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1311947803699.jpg
92 KB, 400x400
>that Panda melody at the end of The Burglars
>>
>>63554332
Natural Selection is just boring. Summing the Wretch is actually pretty cool, live it was nuts with the crazy drum fills. Probably the best use of panda hocketing on the album, which admittedly isn't saying much.

LITG is offensively bad. Like the melody is drab and lifeless and the instrumentation is ugly

the chorus is OK and the ending is kind of neat

but I have no idea what they were thinking putting it on the album
>>
>>63554396
yeah for real, there are definitely a few parts where the visuals make up for a lack of music.

Take out some of the longer dronier stuff and it would easily be one of their best, if a little scattered.

Mr. Fingers, Working, Tantrum Barb, and What Happened would legit be the best EP they ever put out though, no doubt about that.
>>
worst song on the album
>>
>>63554509
Mr. Fingers feels naked without Kindle Song right after it.
>>
>>63554544
worst song of the year
>>
>>63554481
NS is not just boring. It's wacky and corny. It's also one of the places where the hocketing is clearly annoying.
Lying in the Grass has this nice dance feel that is nicely complemented by the hocketing. Plus the reed/woodwind is quite well placed too.
>>
>>63554680
Ehhh I gotta disagree. The weird dance beat is too jumbled for me. Also the woodwind sampling is ugly sounding. That, mixed with the grumbly bass sounds like a cacophany of burps, stomach grumbles, and farts
>>
I feel retarded when I listen to this.
>>
Honest opinions on this album now that it's had a good month to settle in?

I'm kinda disappointed like most fans but I definitely still think it's a good album.
I think the general consensus is that for an AnCo album, it's good, but not great, and for an album (in general), it's great, but not 'AnCo great'.

For me there's not enough that's special about it even though I like the sound and general theme of the album and I think it's really consistent in that regard. But there's just not enough that stands out. The only things that do stand out for me are:
FloriDada - best track here and may have sullied the record by being the single released so long before the album, expectations were set too high even though it's pretty representative of the album, it just happens to be the best of the lot
Bagels in Kiev, Summing the Wretch - fun as hell pop songs, both 9/10s

But I understand Bagels and Wretch are more subjectively good than anything and that objectively they kinda just blend in with the rest of the album as good tracks but nothing that special.

Anyone else think pretty much every track is like a 7/10 after Floridada except for maybe 2 or 3? That's how I'm feeling and its kinda a bad feel
>>
>>63552861
nah don't listen to the rest of them

Start with MPP and work your way backwards. Listen to Feels and Strawberry in tandem, then Sung Tongs. Then go to the beginning and do Spirit They're Gone. After that, you can go wherever you want. I ventured into live shit and well.....yeah
>>
File: painting with rate.png (125 KB, 828x887) Image search: [Google]
painting with rate.png
125 KB, 828x887
Objective scores here after several listens
>>
>>63555476

I still dig PW a lot and I don't think any of the tracks are bad, even after multiple listens. The Boys Latin vocals are getting a bit tiring though.

I give it a 7.5/10 overall.
>>
>>63555476
Album is 7/10, songs are generally good but aren't really given a chance to develop. The album doesn't feel fully developed in general for AnCo standards because there's not a lot of stylistic variety or an arc to the album.

Floridada is supper overrated IMO, in part because it's the lead single, the opener, and the second 'easiest' track after Golden Gal (also overrated). I'd say the best songs are Hocus Pocus, The Burglars and On Delay.
>>
>>63555621
Hocus Pocus is the worst song though
>>
>>63552192
alright lads
here to clean things up
lying in the grass and summing the wretch are top tier songs

lying in the grass jams so fucking hard, the switch from the offbeat and onbeat is fucking insane

it has the best sounding hocketing on the entire album

the breakdown into the chorus is the most haunting part on the album, with the distant horns and flute exploring a part of the "painting with fast paced vibe",
and if this song hadn't ventured into this zone,
the scope of the album would feel a lot more limited epecially going from vertical into burglars

everything past the chorus is so incredibly danceable and groovy, especially when they're all going ham on the synths at the very end of the song, it's visceral
summing the wretch is super fucking high energy

the saving grace of the song is the chimes and twangy shit in the back of the mix, that make the song open up into a beautiful field of a solid, simplistic melody into an interaction between the vocals and the synths

think along the veins of the harrowing opener of safer to the gentle forest spirit in the second half

the BEST part of the entire album is when the all go "SOOOOOOOO" and the synth in the background goes up the scale builds into the chorus playing on the 3rd beat

and when the beat turns around after the first "verse", it feels like everything you knew about the song's pattern so far has been wrong and it throws you a total curveball, it's the coolest shit they've ever done with polyrhythmic 3/4 4/4 shit

the jams with the acoustic chimes and whatnot (see floridada's drums and litg's wind insturments) turn an otherwise synthetic album into an exploration of the interaction between the two, similar to how sung tongs era does it

my only disliked song on the album is natural selection, but it's still a decent song on it's own. it just feels monotonous after the already fastpaced burglars

hocus pocus/vertical is like this era's for reverend green/fireworks
>>
>>63555532
nice, looks like you're digging the album tons

here's mine, hopefully these scores will rise eventually:
9/10: FloriDada, Summing the Wretch
8.5/10: Bagels in Kiev
7.5/10: Golden Gal
7/10: Hocus Pocus, Vertical, LITG, NS, SG, Recycling
6.5/10: Burglars, On Delay

album is like a light 7 for me atm
>>
>>63555652
Yeah, but not at all.
>>
Fifty percent of the album is plainly bad while the other half is just okay at best.
>>
>>63555663
great to see someone else digging Wretch as much as me, it's classic AnCo dance party material, fucking love the chimes
>>
>>63555663

Agree on Natural Selection, it's the weakest track but I still enjoyed it, but sounds like a Grim Reaper track
>>
File: 1456111442410.jpg (314 KB, 900x544) Image search: [Google]
1456111442410.jpg
314 KB, 900x544
Was there any album in history of /mu/ that was as dividing as Painting With?
>>
>>63552192
HOLY SHIT
At the Seattle concert there was this super friendly mosh pit and it was the best.
When reached the second chorus, everyone screamed at the top of their lungs
"WE SEE THE LADS FROM OSAKA"
Everyone went fucking nuts.
>>
>>63555725
interesting, imo Natural Selection is very PW, would never have thought it sounds like a PBVSGR track.
>>
Best tracks:

FloriDada
The Burglars
Bagels in Kiev
On Delay
Golden Gal

Worst Tracks:

Natural Selection
Spilling Guts
Summing the Wretch
Recycling
Summing the Wretch
>>
>>63556163
I'm a sucker for that syncopated vocal effect that panda bear used on boys latin so I've gotta say that summing the wretch is not THAT bad (and is in fact one of my favorite tracks on the album)
>>
>>63556163
idk if you did it intentionally but that's literally the split between avey and panda tracks.

I'm prone to agree but I would definitely put spiling guts above bagels

"bagels for everyone!"

jeeeeeeeeeesh
>>
just listened to Summing the Wretch for the first time

it...sounds like every other track on the album. except for that noise that sounds like the Messenger notification
>>
File: 1403583984737.jpg (32 KB, 409x325) Image search: [Google]
1403583984737.jpg
32 KB, 409x325
>>63556255

Yeah, I definitely chose the songs for their lyrics.
>>
>>63555476
damb that back cover is glorious, should have been the album cover
>>
>>63556304
yeah its like everything else but better
>>
>>63555663
wow
you have great writing, you made me realize things from summing the wretch that would go completely unnoticed, like the polyrhythms
>>
>>63556336
well what i meant was that i couldn't gather any reason for it to be better or worse, which seems to be a big thing for reviews
>>
File: 2Pu588U.png (36 KB, 843x415) Image search: [Google]
2Pu588U.png
36 KB, 843x415
RYM is shit now
>>
>>63556488

Agree, it should be averaging at least at 4
>>
>>63556488
>>63556527

Why does it deserve that score?
>>
>>63556553
because FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORIDA
>>
>>63556317
hey sometimes a lyric is so bad it can ruin a song
>>63556374
yeah summing the wretch is like the only song to do anything interesting with the hocketing technique
>>
File: kaguyaaaaaaaaaaa.jpg (132 KB, 500x475) Image search: [Google]
kaguyaaaaaaaaaaa.jpg
132 KB, 500x475
>>63556581

>it deserves that score because I like it
>RYM is shit because they don't like thing I like
>>
>>63556591

>hey sometimes a lyric is so bad it can ruin a song

You literally nitpicked a fucking verse. Are you this dense?
>>
>>63556635
im just memeing, i wasnt actually the guy who posted about the RYM score being low
>>
>>63556646
that's not the only lyric from the song, there's another one about being "tired of all the noise and violence"

also the song is like a weird minor key rap song with a barely discernible melody
>>
>>63554305
This is phenomenal
>>
>>63552861
MPP then backwards.

Avoid Painting With and Centipede Hz.
>>
>>63556770

and Danse Manatee
>>
>>63552861
People like >>63555485 and >>63556770 will tell you that their newer stuff isn't worth listening to - I can't blame them for having that view but respectfully I disagree. Tbh Campfire Songs or Prospect Hummer is my favorite AnCo release, but don't dismiss their newer stuff just because /mu/ tells you to. ChZ has a couple of their all time greatest tracks imo, and Painting With is full of good vibe jams if you give it a chance. While they won't change your life like Spirit might, they have a time and a place and are well worth the listen
>>
>>63554305
god i miss the early 2010's
>>
>>63556842
nah if you go backwards directly you should be prepared for danse

it's not nearly as chaotic as people claim it to be. it's poppier than Hollindagain, or even HCTI imo
>>
>>63556889
you're missing out on much less by skipping danse than skipping chz or pw
>>
>>63556961
Ehh maybe but In the Singing Box is better than any song from those albums
>>
>>63556865

I wouldn't say ChZ has their greatest tracks, but it's vastly underrated as a album.

I agree with you about Painting With.
>>
>>63554420
yes
>>
>>63552861

LISTEN TO EVERYTHING? CHECK TRACKS OUT FROM EACH ALBUM AND IF YOU LIKE IT, KEEP LISTENIN

WHY EVEN ASK SUCH A SIMPLE QUESTION?
>>
>>63555663
Oh yeah nigger

when I saw them live last month the second song they played was Lying in the Grass and when they started hocketing the whole crowded exploded with cheers it was so mind blowing to see live
>>
File: 1455056300048.jpg (132 KB, 490x327) Image search: [Google]
1455056300048.jpg
132 KB, 490x327
November tickets go up today at 12:00 EST, Terminal 5, NYC.

Just a heads up in case anyone wants to not miss the bagels. You know I'll be there.
>>
>>63554396
ehh, Safer doesn't really fit in with ODDSAC and I think it would be pretty weak as just an album with drawn out interludes
>>
>>63555844
that sounds "life changing" :^)
>>
>>63555844
I hope you got a sick video on your "snap story", bud! :^D
>>
>>63554282
It is extremely undiscussed and underrated, as is Transverse Temporal Gyrus.

You fucking kids need to get on that shit. Seriously.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2fsZC4Mqgs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zfce_bNClbo

This is for everyone who bitches about the fact that they never make their ambient or drone stuff anymore...it's just not the forefront of their production anymore. ODDSAC and TTG came out in 2010 and 2012 respectively. They can still do it, they just don't make full studio albums out of it. Though one could argue that ODDSAC itself is a studio album with accompanying video. TTG is more of an EP though. TTG is really awesome though because it was an exhibition at the Guggenheim (which the Guggenheim was really not okay with at the time, AnCo just kind of said they wanted to do an exhibit and mislead them about what was going on) and was multiple random sounds designed by all of the members of anco independently, which then was mixed through 36 speakers set up around the spiral flooring of the room, each one playing a different sound. So no matter where you stood in the room, you were hearing sonically something entirely different from everyone else. I wish I could have gone man, seems like it would have been a trip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnHrlFxykn8

>inb4 that's super fucking pretentious

Also, the suits and costumes were Danny Perez's doing. They were kind of surprised to see them when they got there. And yes, it was really them wearing them.
>>
File: cheezin.jpg (8 KB, 258x195) Image search: [Google]
cheezin.jpg
8 KB, 258x195
>>63559526
I might also need to mention they had created a MAX SP sound patch that literally took tidbits of each piece of sound they recorded and shuffled them randomly in a way that would combine the best sounding pieces together, but still entirely at random. So, the record version of Transverse Temporal Gyrus isn't really an exact representation of the show itself, but it's still really fucking cool to listen to. Especially on LSD.
>>
c'mon le le le le le le le le le le le le le le le le le le le le le le le le le le le le le le le le le
>>
>>63554481
>Natural Selection is just boring
This is an opinion a lot of people seem to have which I really don't get. There's a lot of cool shit going on in the chorus which I didn't properly take in at first. Even so, on first listen I thought it was pretty intense and I enjoyed it.
>>
>>63555476
I still think I need more time desu, it takes me a long ass time to finally settle on an opinion of an AnCo album. Despite that, I sort of see what you're saying. I was pretty hyped about PW initially and then a few days later I relistened to SJ and it suddenly seemed like there was a gulf in quality. But then I do think Floridada is genuinely brilliant, as is the Burglars, and Golden Gal and On Delay are really nice tracks.

I think the thing is they made this artistic choice to make this short, intense, "minimalistic" (at least by AnCo standards) album and whilst that's a valid decision it also kind of robbed them of some of the magic. Mostly the ability of their past albums to create those "sonic landscapes" that always seem to get mentioned. I remember listening to In the Flowers for the first time and feeling like I had been transported to the bottom of the ocean, there's nothing like that here. The songs are nice but the atmosphere is a weak reflection of what they can do.
>>
Listened to it 20 times, still don't like it

What's wrong /mu/ ?
>>
>>63560088
The album. Mostly the way they recorded it.
>>
every time i listen to this album i enjoy it more
>>
>>63554420
Dude I know
Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.