[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /mu/ think about David Bowie's early 60's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 1
File: David-Bowie-1967.jpg (315 KB, 950x534) Image search: [Google]
David-Bowie-1967.jpg
315 KB, 950x534
What does /mu/ think about David Bowie's early 60's work like David Bowie, Space Oddity and the music videos from the film Love You Till Tuesday?
>>
It's fun and quirky but not too great, except for a couple tracks.
>>
His debut is horrid, Space Oddity is pretty good though
>>
space oddity the album is underrated
it has 2 of bowie's greatest tracks
space oddity and cygnet committee

i sort of unironically like laughing gnome and rubber band
>>
I liked silly boy blue even though it really isn't about anything.
>>
>>63546344
The song on Space Oddity with the long blues harp part is the best, I remember Cygnet Committee as quie annoying actually.
>>
>>63546450
you should go back and listen to it a few more times
it has such a great build up and it has some really passionate song-writing and vocals
>>
>>63546559
Could be, it's been a while since the last time I've listened to this album. I'll listen at least to this track again, I guess.
>>
Letters to Hermione is the best thing he ever did
>>
>>63548651
probably Bowie's best love song
>>
i always loved the start to unwashed and somewhat slightly dazed
it's sounds like the title track, very space-y

turns out to be a chaotic folk song
still love it though
>>
>>63546559
this
it's pretty much the predecessor to Five Years

>>63546264
I honestly think his debut is a 8/10, every song on that album is fun. Quirky, at times Dumb too, but still fun. It's like a... "safer"... version of Frank Zappa. Actually, it sounds like what Zappa should have done for me to enjoy it wholly.
>>
classic bowie for me starts with hunky dory. everything before that is rather mediocre except for space odditty (the song).

and then there's hidden gem karma man.
>>
>>63549287
Objectively wrong, but i used to think that too so i understand your point of view. Go listen to the man who sold the world, some real good shit in space oddity (the album) aswell. Self titled is shit though
>>
>>63549287
Man who sold the world is great
>>
>>63549432
>Go listen to the man who sold the world, some real good shit in space oddity (the album) aswell

with all due respect, i've been listening to david bowie for 10+ years. i used to like man who sold the world, but not so much anymore. never warmed to space oddity. hunky dory is his truly great album in my opinion, nothing you say will change my mind.
>>
>>63549595
>hunky dory is his truly great album

*first truly great album.
>>
Is there any chance there's an archive of the sticky from when bowie died?
>>
>>63549595
Oh i definitely agree, im not saying that Hunky Dory isn't the best of the three, i just thought that maybe you just got into bowie and that the first two albums just didn't click with you yet.
>>
>>63549611
Man i wish there was an archive for the entirety of /mu/ when he died. It was both awful and amazing to see so many people absolutely lose their shit and get so emotional. I called in sick at work to stay at home, listen to bowie and lurk.
>>
>>63549674
I've been look throughout the archive and there's no threads saved of when it was first announced (first 12hrs). Quite a shame really, my favourite were the first initial reactions of people trying to prove it was a fake
>>
>>63549754
Oh god yeah, i initially thought someone had hacked his facebook but then everyone checked his official website and even then people didn't quite believe it until all the news outlets started to post obituraries.
>>
I'm a fan of early David Bowie. I love the novelty songs like She's Got Medals, The Laughing Gnome, Love You Til Tuesday, and all that stuff, but you can't REALLY claim to be a fan of the early years unless you're familiar wit such bands like The Lower 3rd, The Mannish Boys, and The Kingbees. Of course he was still going by David Jones when those bands were around, but track it down, and check it out, especially the song "Take a Tip".
>>
for what it's worth, here's my favorite 60s bowie:

you've got a habit of leaving me
baby loves that way
when i live my dream
karma man
let me sleep beside you
in the heat of the morning
sell me a coat
conversation piece
space oddity
>>
hearing bowies laugh in dont sit down is going to make me cry
>>
>>63550029
it's one of the best interludes ever
imo
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.