[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Band shirts: profound social statement or a sign of insecurity?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 4
File: 1449690968712.jpg (34 KB, 329x450) Image search: [Google]
1449690968712.jpg
34 KB, 329x450
Band shirts: profound social statement or a sign of insecurity?
>>
Just fucking aesthetic pleasure.
>>
Depends on the shirt.
>>
quite obviously neither.
>>
A shirt of a band you like.
>>
>>63541041
this

And it's another way to support the musicians and, theoretically, to spread the word about them

it can also be a nice icebreaker in social settings, to say "oh, you like (insert band)? what's your favorite album by them..." Etc.
>>
I wouldn't really wear them, I support the bands I like by going to their tours

I don't really like graphic tees in general, they usually look like shit. I just feel pretentious as fuck wearing clothing with my obscure band plastered all over them
>>
>>63541059
>Rausch

Sammy?
>>
>>63541202
yeah, sup anon?
>>
>>63541026
This guy looks like Julio Cortazar
>>
I have a Led Zeppelin shirt I wear time to time
and last listened to Led Zeppelin 4 years ago..
>>
>>63541238
Everything went to shit. What about you? I hope you have some plan to save Germany.
>>
i like to wear band shirts or shirts with nothing printed. I got fed up with wearing regular shirts with the brand printed, because i feel like an walking ad, so if i'm going to be and ad, might as well wear clothing with stuff i like printed.
>>
>>63541026
>a sign of insecurity?
Wouldn't be a sign of security, as you are brave enough to tell total strangers what you listen to?
>>
>>63541347
sucks to hear that. i'm quite busy trying to save me from myself desu.
>>
File: devendrabanhart2.jpg (130 KB, 318x414) Image search: [Google]
devendrabanhart2.jpg
130 KB, 318x414
>>63541293
I think is Devendra Banhart
>>
>tfw I really want a Pink Floyd shirt because it's been my favorite band for years but I know people will think I'm a poser if I do
>>
I don't own any.

I wouldn't mind them if they were cryptic though.
>>
>>63541026
it's just a fucking shirt bud
>>
This kid in one of my uni classes has full /mu/ regalia. Death Grips and GYBE stickers on his Mac, the Swans shirt pictured in OP, there's probably other shit I haven't picked up on.

Anyways I thought it was incredibly cringey but the hipster girls seem to like it a lot. Take that for what it's worth.
>>
>>63541437
>favourite for years
Pink Floyd isn't bad and all but they are entry level as fuck, how are they still your favourite band? My favourite has changed multiple times as I explore more and more music and more complex genres

No shit you're going to look like a douchebag
>>
I own a bunch, and a lot of them came from insecurity. I still wear my Sleep and Ed Scrader's Music Beat shirts often, though (and my own band's shirt, because free marketing)
>>
>>63541503
'hipster' girls are really stupid and slutty, same deal as any subculture - like gamer girls for example

daddy won't pay them attention so they think pretending to liking weird things/people will get them that attention. just be yourself, keep your standards, goals and morals and don't veer into faggot territory for faggot girls
>>
My clothing has been print free for the last seven years.
>>
>>63541519
>you or only supposed to listen to certain artists in the order I say!

Not even that anon, but you are already a douchebag
>>
a good way to ease your guilty conscience after torrenting a band's discography, since they make more money from shirts anyway
>>
>>63541573
But if you act like some austere patrician you aren't going to get any shallow puss anon.

No one likes interacting with someone who thinks they're superior, so you kinda have to dumb yourself down. Maybe I'm not talking to the right girl but I don't even know if I'd like a patrician, /mu/ gf.
>>
>>63541604
Nah, you're the douchebag

You are the rock equivalent of people listening to nothing but Iron Maiden/Slayer/Megadeth for years and wearing a beat up Iron Maiden tee every single fucking day. They have never listened to anything else in their life in the genre, nor have they tried any of the metal subgenres

They are fucktards

>>63541626
Dumb yourself down if you just want some loose poon, but don't go thinking those girls are worth more trouble than that

Having sex with a girl you actually give a damn about is much better. Physically and mentally
>>
>>63541407
Don't give up.

Fuck, you have no idea how I wish I could go back to those days when we were discussing King Crimson or something here, and it was 2010, more than half fucking decade ago, and my life actually didn't suck at all. Always glad to see someone from that time here again.
>>
Sign of going to shows and buying some shirts you think look nice
>>
>>63541026
>thread derives into DUDE I CAN'T GIRLS LMAO

Mhmm... Do the janitors do it for free?
>>
>>63541519
because it's the first band that seriously got me into music, and I listen to some of their albums weekly. I also like the strong personalities those guys have and all the trivia that goes along with their albums
>>
>>63541698
nostalgia ain't healthy senpai

that'd be like me listening to hybrid theory every week. sure its cute to remember those times and it isn't a completely shitty album but it seems pointless when i have a ton of incredible albums i could listen to instead
>>
>>63541026
That Swans shirt and the Unknown Pleasures shirt (and the Unknown Pleasures shirt shirt) are the only band shirts you CANNOT wear.
>>
>>63541662
why does it suck so much tho? and do i know a name to put to your posts?
>>
>>63541026
Yes
>>
>>63541187
>my obscure band plastered all over them
of fucking course you will feel pretentious you cunt, calling the music you like "obscure", lol fuck off, calling them that makes you pretentious, not just wearing a damn tshirt.
What are these "obscure" bands anyway
>>
>>63541026

Just faggotry.
>>
>>63541750
Fuck off you weirdo
>>
>>63542102
Says the guy religiously listening to dadrock...
>>
>>63542329
>...
>>
gimme some anco shirt ideas /mu/
>>
File: 1429846025008.png (166 KB, 500x363) Image search: [Google]
1429846025008.png
166 KB, 500x363
>>63541772
What about the unknown pleasures shirt shirt shirt?
>>
>>63541041
>>63541064
>>63541117
/end thread
>>
>>63541519
Because "entry-level" bands are almost always the best in their respective genre
>>
I have a SOAD shirt that I wear all the time even though I haven't listened to them since 2010 or so. It got me into some weird social situations, but what can I do? It was a gift, I'm poor and have few shirts to wear
>>
>>63541772
>filth is worse than the rolling stones lick or dsotm
>>
>>63541026
Neither. It's just a shirt.
>>
>>63541503
GYBE and Swans are pretty universally praised by music nerds. Death Grips is the only thing that gives it away as /mu/.
>>
>>63542572
All the Painting With covers together.
>>
>>63541026
I like to wear em so that people with similar interests can strike up a conversation. Also I think they can look cool. Nothing wrong with showing your interests.
>>
>>63541026
this dude looks like the worst possible version of Patrick Stickles
>>
>>63541026

i wear them because i like the shirt and i like the music. everything from a basic ass master of puppets shirt that i got from kohls to obscure band shirts from small time local shows.

when i go to shows if i like the band i will buy a shirt. over the years ive gotten too many to wear so i started putting them up on the wall. ive got two whole walls covered in a room in my house so far.
>>
>>63541026
i wear tons of band merch and dress like a total edge lord and its all just a series of security blankets because im an anti social paranoid fuck
>>
>>63543670
Ever thought of making a battle jacket?
>>
Actually band shirts are dumb because they scream: "I define myself by my music taste"
>>
>>63543888
wtf is a battle jacket?
>>
>>63543906
>>63543888
never-mind. i googled it. yeah i have, i just dont have any patches. nor am i a fan of denim jackets.
>>
>>63541026
I have alot of band t-shirts cuz i got nothing else, i usually wear something like a button up or sweater over it
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.