[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
To Those who Make and Release Music
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: Jer.png (44 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
Jer.png
44 KB, 500x500
Do you share your music to your irl friends/mutual friends i.e. through Facebook, or do you release your stuff elsewhere under a different moniker?

I've made enough songs now to put out an EP, but I'm debating whether I want my friends and such knowing about it (it's sort of weird, personal acoustic freak folk). To those who don't share it locally, how did you gain traction? How do you accumulate listeners without shilling?
>>
>>63540656
I give my friends tapes/CDs if they ask, and sell them at my shows.

Also if you are afraid to show your friends your music you either have 1) shitty friends or 2) shitty music. Correct the problem.
>>
i have literally no friends so it's not really a thing that's come up for me but hypothetically i'd say that networking your stuff through friends is a great way to start out, assuming you've actually got a good circle of friends and not the kind of people who are going to mock you for being a faggot or whatever

if they like it then they might be inclined to spread it around a little, and if they don't and they're actually good friends then they might offer a bit of constructive criticism that could help you out
>>
>>63540765
I don't have a close circle of friends that would do any such thing. Also I don't have friends with any similar musical interests as me whatsoever. On the one hand, whoever listens might consider it entirely unique and new because they haven't been exposed to my influences. On the other hand, they could be like wtf is this weird shit.

Also I only started learning guitar last year and have no experience of music editing so it'll all be live, lo-fi cuts. All in all, it won't be the most accessible music for average listeners to appreciate. I think I might just throw it up on Facebook anyway
>>
>>63540879
Please don't
>>
>>63540897
Ok so how else do I go about it?
>>
>>63540879
nah if you have reason to believe that your friends are the kind of people who would just deride or not even acknowledge your musical efforts then it's wiser to not even bother and seek attention elsewhere
there's nothing more demoralizing than showing your music to people and having them go "MAN THIS IS SO WEIRD LOL" or whatever
>>
>>63540942
You don't. You wait until you are no longer a beginner
>>
I don't share stuff with my mates, they're not into the genres I produce and all they'd do is telling me it's nice

they know of the youtube channel where I upload beats (I rarely make some) but that's it

also with friends I mean actual friends, not people on facebook, they don't care anyway
>>
>>63540965
Ok that's a fair point, I guess I'm a little impatient. Maybe I will save up and buy a microphone and a better guitar first. I always have an urge to share things, to get recognition, to get feedback...maybe it's a vanity issue
>>
this might be the dumbest question ever but, when recording music, are you supposed to do it in layers (like, record the guitar, then record your vocals and so on?) I'm guessing it's easier to edit this way?
>>
>>63541001
Well, I think that's good you have that desire to share your art. Certainly better off than the other aspies in this thread. But know that you, as a musician and artist, will only get better in time. Although you are eager now, it's probably better to wait and to hone your craft. I guarantee a year form now, you'll look back to how you are now, and be severely embarrassed.
>>63541046
You aren't "supposed" to do anything. You should do what feels right for you and makes sense with your music.

With that said, I have more respect for musicians who can track live instead of layering. If you are singer/acoustic guitar type guy, then I would recommend recording the vocal and guitar together. It depends on what genre you are working in.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.